MadHatterGraphix

Rent or not to rent a Roland print/cut?

I went to Roland's website and found out some of their distributors rent roland BN-20s and versacamms.. I haves all into. One of these companies to find out how much it would cost to rent one for a year to see if I like it or if its worth the investment. My question is, is this a smart idea or should I spring for a lease? Everything mechanical is covered with the rental insurance etc. I know the ink is going to cost and so is the media.

• Like 1

Yeah that's what I'm waiting for called them not to long before they closed so hoping I get an answer today. The only issue I see, is I have to pay or the media and ink wher when you lease you can take 25% over the price of the machine and get th media and ink pls shipping.

Just looked up bn20 since I had no clue. That's a boat load of money for 20" print but it beats what I have. If you can justify it for business I'd lease if the buyout at the end isn't crazy. At least you can write off the lease if you buy 1 outright you'd have to take depreciation on taxes.

Costs $400 and some odd dollars a month that's steep leasing is cheaper and like I said they will roll the cost of supplies and shipping into it.

If they'll roll supplies into it I'd say lease. But I still can't get over how proud $$$ they are of a 20" print

What about maintenance? From what Ive read on here from the printers, maintaining a printer is a non stop job. They say, printing on it everyday helps a lot. Will you have enough jobs to print every day or every other day? Do you have the jobs coming in to pay for it or are you hoping they come once you get the printer? 

I would think about leasing one but then I'd actually have to do the work. I like my current arrangement better I pm wait a couple day and open the mail box, don't even get my hands dirty. ;D  ;D

• Like 1

As long as the post office doesn't lose it along the way that is .

If you go anything bigger then the BN20 you will hate not having a laminator. Makes everything easier. Applying full sheets to substrates is worth the cost of having one alone. You can get by with a BS but if you ever have large orders they are truly a necessity IMO. 

You will still have daily maintenance to handle and I am sure if that is neglected the repair costs will be pushed onto you. I would suggest if your not subbing out 1000 sg ft a month of print to not consider getting one until that point. Anything less than that your losing money. 

and remember that mechainical failures like head damage due to head strikes are not covered - that is all up to you to fix.  personally I would go with at least a 30" - oh wait - I did.   look at what media is available for the 20" - or you can buy 60's have them slit and get a big supply with each order.   +1 you will want a laminator.

• Like 1

Costs $400 and some odd dollars a month that's steep leasing is cheaper and like I said they will roll the cost of supplies and shipping into it.

so you need to sell $5,000 a year to make payments before you make a dime - not counting ink and media?  If you have a head strike that requires a new head make that $6,000 a year. and at the end of that amount you own nothing!  Heck I snivel every time I order ink, media, and pay my ebay fees cause it eats into the money made so much. seems like the first 2 weeks of the months goes into buying supplies

I understand what everyone is saying however I have a big convention I will be attending in 3 months, the club has been around for 75 yrs and I'm selling there, infact I talked to the president and I just might have the club coming to me to do some print work. So I'm not to worried about the payments plus I have family backing me up. I still haven't 100% committed to the BN-20 however I can manage the lease payments (with family help), compared to a bigger cutter. I have seen what's available for media I did my research Dakota I have spent hours on Roland's website and next week i will be going to a sign supplier here's in town that I just found. I will be checking out the print/cutters and asking tons of questions.

just get a sp300v for around 6500 and own it - just have an extra 1000 set back for unexpected repairs as needed.

ps make sure you get it insured - just in case of a power surge like a lightning strike, etc.  that would ruin your day to have a  very expensive boat anchor.  I didn't think of that my first year and could have lost way more money than I could have recovered from - It won't save you on the physical damage like the head strikes etc but the boards after a power surge would be several thousand dollars

Check with a Mimaki dealer. They're having a big sale. You can get a new 53 inch, for 9000 something. A 60 inch print/cut for around 12k.

• Like 1

Dakota they make you get insurance. This wouldn't be the first time my family leased something. Like I said I haven't really settled on anything till I go visit the dealer her this coming weel during their open house.

what the dealer will quote you for a price and when it is said and done can be up to 35% difference. Do not use their insurance as it is extremely over priced, get your own. Make sure to shop around with other brands and show your quotes to the other sales reps, never settle on any offer until you have countered. 

I saw an add on a competitor site for a printer lease. Very enticing for sure but you guys have sure scared me about getting a printer. I definitely don't have a $1k laying around most days for a print head. I do have a source that would give me a decent amount of work but not enough to pay for the printer just yet.

Mopars no kidding ther insurance is murder. Before I found a DTG we leased one. We gave it up said the payments were killing us. By the time we would have had it paid off I would cost 21,672 dollars for a kiosk Ii so I found one under 6,000 on Craigslist. I think for insurance they wanted $100 a month on top of $385 for the lease.

Ted, don't be scared off - if you can afford the printer and have the business to support it the extra grand shouldn't be a problem as long as you didn't spend ever last penny getting the printer - in which case you shouldn't have gotten the printer.  On the 2 printers I have replaced 3 heads - first one came needing 1 - this one I didn't think it needed one when I tested it but quickly realized it did  - the second head on this one was for NFRWSO.  that sucked

• Like 1

also plan for other things - a couple of weeks ago I just started a print job and the power went out across town - heads are unparked (not on cap tops and sealed).  I waited almost 20 min and hooked up the generator so the heads could cycle and park.  had I not had the generator I would have been a very un happy camper.  because of the heaters that run a battery back up really isn't feasable in this situation.  sounds like  Kissfan has his ducks in a row and I truly wish him well I just like to put out what I have learned so others are prepared.

Kiss, you should really start a thread with info on the DTG so people have an idea of what to expect with that.