terranomade

Sort of a sign blazer question...

Hi all, 

Does anyone have any tips on cutting small text with signblazer, by small I am meaning 10mm in height its going through to a MH-721 if that helps... As currently I am getting very bad cuts or is that just because of the font etc?

Cheers 

Dave 

May be font but also close to limits on that cutter (maybe beyond limits) if its a detailed font. Care to show the font?

That is not a software issue at all ( assuming you have some overcut dialed in ) . It is a cutter & cutter setting issue ( blade sharpness , blade offset , pressure & speed ) along with the cutter's capability . It takes a more capable/experienced operator to cut that size with a value cutter than it does with a top of the line cutter . Also some fonts are much harder to cut than others at that size with perfect settings & the best cutter .

• Like 1

The font in question is Trebuchet MS, will have a play around with the speed and depth settings and see how I get on... Thanks for the info though! 

Dave 

much can be fixed with less blade - only adjust offset if your corners are not correct - that is now a cure all for other problems and will cause more if you adjust it away from what it should be.

too many newbies try to fix everything with offset cause they don't undetstand it - all the advice above is sound and areas to look at.  rodger nailed it right on the head

offsetfig3.jpg

Offset1.jpg

• Like 2

The chinese value cutters do not cut text smaller than 1/2" (13mm) very well, I believe this is due to the fact they have stepper type motors rather than servo motors which

are the type of motors used in the higher end cutters such as Graphtecs and Rolands.

You might be able to improve the quality of what you are getting now by using a brand new 60 degree blade, slowest cutting speed possible and getting the blade offset just right.

It also may help if you put a drop of 3-in-1 oil or similar lubricant in the blade holder to allow the blade to spin as freely as possible.

With the MH-721 and SignBlazer, is controlling/adjusting the overcut an option? I don't recall seeing anyway of setting it if there is one.