Sign in to follow this  
AdhesiveTransfers

Little Banner job, Friend wanted

I hear Monster is right up there with Harley and Disney for enforcing Copyright protection. 

Thanks,

It was made just for fun, no sale price, &  hung up in a room. Not hurting any credit of the company or anyone.

I just posted the work to keep in touch with forums looking for feedback on vinyl cutting & nothing more

I dunno, the green seems too dull/dark, not like the fluorescent bright green of their brand.

I'm just curious, why would you waste that hemmed & grommeted banner on this 'sample' instead of doing a job with it for a client and making $$?

Ya its a darker shade of green for sure.

I hear what your saying.. but I wouldnt call it wasting, even though I didnt do a custom order for a client I gave a friend something enjoyable for free. With the flipside of whenever someone sees it they will know where to get jobs done like that.  Thats my thought on it anyways

• Like 2

- works for Rockstar (Pepsi)  :huh:

And that is why there is the "Dont post copywrited material" thread.

Never know who is watching

• Like 1

My daugher went to DC and brought back a t-shirt. It's the Monster logo upside down for Washington DC. Every t-shirt shop it town carried them.

Remember the old saying its only illegal if you get caught. It's up to each individual to decide how much they want to gamble. I think I'll go play in my corner now and be quiet. Btw last I looked brandsoftheworld had pulled the monster logo if that tells you anything.

My $0.02 the upside down monster as a city could be classified as fair use but your pushing the envelope on these other things. If you don't charge for them you may be technically end-running the copywrite but the TM laws include diluting their market in their protection as a trademark. I've drawn a couple of my own graphics that utilize some big name trademarks but are well within the fair use clause and not lost any sleep over it at all. I also copy all kinds of stuff for my own personal use but I never sell and usually don't even give it away. There is no law governing what you can build for yourself, if you have the skill to do so you could build your own exact copy of a Harley Davidson right down to the logo and everything. The problem comes in when you try to sell it as one (or in TM law theoretically if you give it away). I don't completely agree with the TM gift thing because anything I may have given away was to someone who would never buy one in the first place or was something that was not actually a product on the market anywhere.

The bottom line as I see it is that we in the industry have a responsibility to uphold and protect the copywrite and TM laws that we expect to recieve protection from if/when we are the creators of a design like the cool Monster logo. (wouldn't that be awesome!) As with most things there will always be someone who abuses things and we can really only control our own involvement.

Here is one I did for kicks. Careful inspection will show that this is totally a spoof of the actual logo. I put this on a rat rod bobber I built a few years ago. By all rights this spoof design is mine by the copywrite laws.

post-20133-0-74634900-1368226715_thumb.j

Wildgoose the issue with yours is Harley owns all rights to the bar and shield logo not just their name.

• Like 1

Wildgoose the issue with yours is Harley owns all rights to the bar and shield logo not just their name.

very true - found that on a church logo that used the bar and shield - it is protected no matter what is in it as it reminds you of the hd brand and is specifically mentioned on thier tm page

I've said it before H-D scares me and I turn down that stuff all the time even to people I know. I'm no saint but H-D and a few others I won't even think to touch.

Here is one I did for kicks. Careful inspection will show that this is totally a spoof of the actual logo. I put this on a rat rod bobber I built a few years ago. By all rights this spoof design is mine by the copywrite laws.

Ya, I do not suggest that type of thinking for anyone. That image is a plain out infringement on their design. Send that into here   trademarkenforcement@harley-davidson.com    and see what they think about it. 

Wouldn't want a C&D order from Harley, I think they have their own law school with all the lawyers they employ. When I was younger the only thing I would wear was H-D t-shirts now that I see how they handle this stuff I wouldn't waste my money, not because they enforce their rights but if you ask about doing anything around their brand the just say no.

That's a good link. I think I will send in my design and see what kind of response I get. I think I'm ok but they may see it different. I'll ppst their response either way. The way I understand it if you are a competitor or are poking fun at them, as I am, they have to leave you alone. Like when chevy puts a ford on the back and drives up a pile of blocks . I know if i was attempting to market a similar product and using their look that would infringe on probably both TM and Copyright. I have never done anything with this logo other than my own use so I'm not scared to submit it, it will make a good case study.

Spare some popcorn for me. No disrespect intended because I would love to see the response they send you. From what I've read in the past it most likely won't be pretty.

nothing like saying hey I know I am infringing and now you know I know LOL

• Like 1

Update! Strangely enough I am posting on between volleyball games pf one of my kids and the club owners husband is an attorney so I asked him his thoughts. He said in a nutshell it's pretty much iron clad parody and they won't be able to touch me. Might even runthe risk of making me famous if they decided to come after me. He also said they will threaten me if I send in an inquiry because that would be standard policy. It does pose a risk that they could litigate me broke, which wouldn't take much so I think I will let sleeping dogs lay.On a positive note I'm still not worried.

I can pretty much guarantee your friend is not a trade mark or intellectual property lawyer and that is by far the worst advise he could of every told you if he even has a law degree he should know better than giving advice that is outside of his field of study