horse power graphic

need help on making a lighted sign box

Ive been working with a place ive done all there graphics for and the idea came up of lighted boxes in 3 of the windows.  I know using LED will make it easier and lighter.  I found this RGB light set at the local hardware store and thought this would be perfect.  Heres the link

http://www.lowes.com/pd_913-24994-HTP1506E_0__?productId=4329105&Ntt=led+cabinet+lighting

I was going to make the boxes out of wood with a white sign plexi with the letters on the outside of it.  Any help would be great thanks

HPG

I would be worried about the wood warping - any little warp and the face will probably crack

my pella alluminum clad wood doors work fine but try to find that quality of wood to work with

my pella alluminum clad wood doors work fine but try to find that quality of wood to work with

I was just in Pella, IA, the home of Pella Windows last weekend for their Tulip Time Days festival.  It's a quaint little Dutch settlement complete with full size windmills, old-timey Germanic structures and plenty of touristy shops.  They have an excellent bakery and a few different meat/sausage shops that make their own famous Pella Bologna - which is more like a summer sausage than a bologna.  I had a Dutch Corn Dog (a section of Pella Bologna on a stick dipped in corn dog batter) and some Vet Bollen for dessert - that's a traditional Dutch fried dough, kind of like a donut hole, only it has nutmeg and raisins in it, then rolled in sugar.

It was amazing how many hundreds of people were there in traditional dutch attire including the wooden shoes!  I almost bought a pair, but in my size they were $41 and I figured the prices are probably jacked up for the festival and I can always go back after the festival if I really want them - it's only about 30 minutes away.  I need to check with the Chamber of Commerce and see how much it costs to setup a vendor booth next year - the crowds were HUGE - I had no idea it was such a big event...

I was just in Pella, IA, the home of Pella Windows last weekend for their Tulip Time Days festival.  It's a quaint little Dutch settlement complete with full size windmills, old-timey Germanic structures and plenty of touristy shops.  They have an excellent bakery and a few different meat/sausage shops that make their own famous Pella Bologna - which is more like a summer sausage than a bologna.  I had a Dutch Corn Dog (a section of Pella Bologna on a stick dipped in corn dog batter) and some Vet Bollen for dessert - that's a traditional Dutch fried dough, kind of like a donut hole, only it has nutmeg and raisins in it, then rolled in sugar.

It was amazing how many hundreds of people were there in traditional dutch attire including the wooden shoes!  I almost bought a pair, but in my size they were $41 and I figured the prices are probably jacked up for the festival and I can always go back after the festival if I really want them - it's only about 30 minutes away.  I need to check with the Chamber of Commerce and see how much it costs to setup a vendor booth next year - the crowds were HUGE - I had no idea it was such a big event...

same in Holland, MI tulip time right now - but the shoes are a specialty item so they really don't mark them down.

We thought light table builders needed to know when tulip season is.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

well it all went astray with the comment that wood frame might not be the best choice due to warpage - got a little sidesays after that sorry

There is a reason they make them out of alluminum and it isn't all about the weight . . . it has to do with stability and longevity.  I am not saying it can't be done but if you are doing it so no one has trouble down the road it isn't the optimum choice

im a wood worker by trade and build high end tables chiars and other things.  Im not worried about the wood material will use high end stuff.  Need the rest of the things like what substrate to use and led lights.

Bummer.....  I was searching for wooden shoes...

And youse guys wanna talk about Tulips.... Darn  :rolleyes:

You will probably want to vent them a little even leds put off some heat . Are you going to slot for the lexan or build a channel ? I have actually built a couple 4x8 sign boxes for exterior use using pocket hole joints and poly glue and finished with good paint they are still working good I did use high output fluorescent tubes and ballast in them though . The depth of your box will determine in part the placement of the led modules you will have to see what is recommend for the leds you use . I use only the superbrite leds and it takes a little less and the drivers you will need will be determined by the amount of modules . There are several sign supplys with leds drivers and supplys . you can download one of their placement charts . Also your box can be a little narrower using leds you won't damage the lexan .

Dan

• Like 1