Warden

Hello from Milwaukee

I am a motorcycle rider. Over the last three months I've rebuild a bike from the frame up. Part of my goal was to provide a custom paint job and graphics. Searching, I finally purchased a vinyl cutter. Over the last week or so that I've owned it I've cut about a hundred things. Worked perfectly out of the box and after watching hours of video (YouTube).

Now, I'm on to the next level of understand and learning beyond basics.

Couple of first questions.....

1) what product should I look for to make paint masking? The vinyl adhesive is too strong, yet Frisket material is too thin (I kept cutting through the base paper). Adjusting my blade didn't help. I'm sure there is product available. Do I need a cutting mat too?

2) Cutting mats. I have the MH721 cutter. Can I use a cutting mat so I can still use smaller pieces of vinyl? Seems I waste a lot of vinyl due to the rollers grip requirements. A tacky mat would work (I'm thinking) to enable me to use up smaller scrap.

Thanks!!!

Jim (aka Warden)

Welcome.

Those are pretty interesting questions.

Stay tuned for the good people here to chime in with answers........

Try adjusting the downforce on the cutter. USCUTTER has a painting mask I believe or try out their blasting mask as a stencil. Ok there's more than one Milwaukee is that Wi?

You could also try Oracal's removable vinyl, 631, it comes off pretty easy, and with warm water comes off even easier.

or you could just order the oracal paint mask material - easy to use and reasonably priced

Thank you for the replies. 

I will check into the Oracle Paint Mask materials you've noted. 

Yes, Milwaukee Wisconsin.  It's finally decent enough weather to start riding!!!  LOL

Any input on a tacky cutting mat?  I'm thinking it needs to be thin enough to not mess with the blade head and mechanism.  I may just have to try and see what happens.

Thanks again for all the replies and warm welcome. 

Hello and Welcome.  I don't know about a cutting mat, I've never used one.   I have taped a piece of paper to the backing paper of smaller pieces of vinyl to be able to cut them.

Hello and Welcome.  I don't know about a cutting mat, I've never used one.   I have taped a piece of paper to the backing paper of smaller pieces of vinyl to be able to cut them.

Clever. That makes a lot of sense. THANKS!

Im near Lake Geneva WI

Just around the corner.  I love Chuck's bar in Fontana.  Many a beer disappeared there. 

New Berlin here

Was in NB tonight.  I'm off of Barker road in Brookfield. 

This is definately a small world!  LOL 

Thanks for saying "HI".  :)

Welcome, and nice lookin' bike, too! I've been pretty satisfied with the Oracal Paint mask. I think it was the

810 or 811 I last finished off. Also have use the sandblast stencil for cutting reusable masks. Satisfied with it as well.

http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/product/product_id/2275/category_id/147/product_name/Sandblast+Stencil+

A piece of poster board with some thin, double-sided tape or sprayed with repositionable adhesive like 3m 75 works

well for using up the small size or oddly trimmed scraps.