Sign in to follow this  
dbtoutfit

Applying Vinyl on Pop-Up Canopy

We have a canopy (10' x10') we use for trade shows etc.

I would like to apply vinyl to the canopy with our company name etc.

I took a test pc of vinyl and gave it a test shot. It doesnt stick very well with no heat.

I am guessing heat is more than likely needed here.

So I tried a small scap pc of vinyl to the tent using a iron. Held it for 30 seconds with pressure.

It was more tacky after lettng it cool but I could still pill it off.

What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks for any help.

Guest Terry

I have seen a lot of them done with paint mask vinyl, reverse weed then spray it, remove vinyl. Someone on here made REAL NICE ones for boats on a beach race, I seen the pictures on here a LONG time ago, try a search under advanced.

Can't you use some of the more specialized heat-applied vinyl?  What is this paint mask stuff everyone keeps mentioning?  I need to be schooled....

Thanks Terry,

Yea I found that post before I posted the question and noticed the pics were removed also.

It would be nice if single topics like this were left untouched by the admins so we could see these images.

Though redundant images etc need to be removed for speedy server response and storage.

Thanks,

Eric

i have found that some types of plastic and vinyl have a release agent applied during the mfg. process. i have used 2 different methods to negate this release agent.  #1. acetone applied and rubbed well into the substrate. #2, use a propane torch and "flame" the application surface to burn off the release agent. practice on scrap first if possible.  good luck.  daniel t

Bumping an old thread..

Hoping to get a job doing the four sides of 5 EZ-up canopies.  I ordered samples of Thermoflex Xtra and Siser Xtra, hoping to get an Imprintable sample of their nylon vinyl, but Josh hasn't called me back.

I had one from the customer that was the old logo, so I could destroy it.  Cut it up, used the Thermoflex Xtra according to the instructions (maybe a little wamer) and it worked GREAT.  I have no doubt the customer is going to be impressed tomorrow.

Funny, the local flag-making shop told my customer that vinyl couldn't be applied to nylon..

I have used the Fabricate material from Creative banner on several tents and it works great, The stuff is a very tacky adhesive (it will practically stick to air!). You have to make sure that use consistent heat and try to work the Fabricate material into the tent material with a brush like a rivet brush.  Also when cutting it use a 60 degree BRAND NEW blade.