Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Pseudo Contour-cutting

I have seen the phrase 'contour cutting' a lot in these forums.

Well, the real purpose of contour cutting (with the laser alignment feature) is to first print a decal and then, cut around the edges. The laser allows for the cutter to understand where to begin, and proceed to follow the contour paths from there.

However, what about those of us who are NOT printing anything. Can we do contours around our texts and designs?

Yep.

The trick is to use the OUTLINE method.

post-21408-0-83248900-1367671177_thumb.j

In CorelDraw, that's done with the Interactive Contour tool.  It's very powerful and allows for so many different effects...

In corel 12 it has a tendency to send the occasional stray node waaaay across the screen on certain fonts but only takes a few seconds to node edit out. OW do you have a problem with the excessive # of nodes from Corel's contour?

I had a lot of problems with weird nodes when using CorelDraw X3 and hoped they would have fixed it by X6, which is why I recently upgraded.  They have made it better, but you still get the occassional weird node or two, and not just on fonts, sometimes they show up on other contours, too.

It's usually nothing that you can't correct quickly, but it's weird when it throws that one node so far away from the rest...

Seems funny that you don't run into that with Signblazer but Corel which has always been promoted as top notch design program still does it. I was doing the test drive of X6 but never thought to try the contour out. Nice to know where they stand with that problem.

Jay