Sign in to follow this  
speleopower

Android tablet/cell phone vector app

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 cell phone and have been wanting an application to use to do some vector graphics on the go.  Unfortunately there is not much out there that I have found.  Does anyone know of a good vector graphics program for Android?

I have found 2 of them:

1)Infinite Design-which I bought the paid app and it just did not seem to work well for me...I deleted it.

2)Vector Artist-

Vector Artist is free and I have actually been able to do a simple drawing, save it as an .svg file, email it to myself and open it Inkscape and finally export it to Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro.  I have not spent much time using Vector Artist but it seems to at least work.

Any thoughts?

-Scott

I downloaded a few but haven't messed with them much. Might be more useful with your tablet but on my phone it was a pain the one time I tried to create an example picture for a friend. All depends on what you want to create with it. For me I don't see them being worth the trouble for most anything.

Yup not very useful since the screen is so small.  The Galaxy Note 2 phone is fairly large and I have been able to make a few simple vector drawings so far this evening.  I was thinking it would be useful to sketch something out if I get an idea while out and about.  

The Infinite Design program is fairly complete but seems to me hard to use.

The Vector Artist program seems simple to use for basic drawings.  

I'm sure someone will get an Android vector graphics program that will work well for tablets.

I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII and a Motorola Xoom 10" Android tablet.  Adobe released a vector based art program (for $10!) and then pulled the plug on it so you can't buy it any more and there are no more upgrades.  It allowed you to save images to your Adobe Cloud account but I never had any success getting them from there into a useful format.

I finally broke down earlier this year and purchased a used Windows tablet off of ebay and use that when I'm away from home.  I much prefer Android, but the wacom digitizer built into the Windows tablet gives much better cursor control than I have with a capacitive stylus on Android...  And I can run CorelDraw on the Windows tablet.

OWJones, What was the name of the Adobe app, I'm sure I can find it ;-) 

Speleopower, Opps I thought your note 2 was a tablet. 

I didn't end up buying a tablet but I was very torn between the new nexus 10" and the Samsung Note 10.1 simply because of the stylus that has some pretty awesome features. 

Ted,

It is called Adobe Ideas.  It was one of the Adobe Touch Suite apps, there were several, Kulur (sp?) - a color palette app, Proto - a web page/application layout app, PhotoShop Touch, Ideas and Collage - one of those apps that marketing and fashion designers use to paste color and fabric swatches next to drawings to show examples of how things could look.

They dropped all but PhotoShop Touch and took them out of the Google Play Market.  Ideas is still available for iOS AFAIK.  There is no way to save the work from within the app to any format that is usable elsewhere, except through the Adobe Creative Cloud, and now that the app is no longer available, I don't know if you can still link it to the cloud or not.  It really wasn't that great of a vector app, anyways - it was more like a paint program using vectors instead of a true vector design app, but it had real potential and I was ticked to see it go away, especially after paying $9.99 for it (the most expensive Android app I've ever purchased, BTW).  I still have it on my tablet, but never use it.

The apps required at least an 8.9" screen and a 1280x800 resolution display, which rules out all but the newer Android phones.

I would love to see the people that created Xara create a similar app for Android - I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

I use my tablet on the go and my Android a lot to browse but you can't beat the computer no way and I still prefer the desktop with my 32 in monitor

Jones,

I found the Adobe Ideas app, it's GREAT! you are correct though the only way to save your work is to the Adobe cloud. It does not seem to work though. I hope I can find a workaround to save my work.

I guess at this point Android is "fail" on vector drawing applications.  Going to look into getting a small tablet PC that I can run Inkscape on in the near future for drawing on the go.

-Scott

I have been looking at a program on my 7" Galaxy tablet called "Inard Cad". You have to have the pro version to share files but it saves in DXF, PDF, or PNG. Might be worth looking at.

Morton

I saw that program.  Might be worth while.  I was hoping for a straight up vector drawing app

I've been using Vector Artist a little bit and it does seem to work.  I have not created anything crazy with it but now I know if I have an idea on the go I can jot it down.

Has anyone used one of the Windows based tablets to run Corel or Inkscape and also Sure Cuts A Lot?:huh:  I have been eyeing a Windows based tablet.

Scott