Nu Image

new to signblazer and need some help

ok, so i just got a new computer and thought i would load signblazer on it to give it a shot. I have never used SB before. I have summa T1010 plus cutter. I am running windows 8 on the new computer. I bought a usb to serial adapter from Best Buy to that I could hook the cutter up. But everytime I go to have the cutter cut, it says it is sending the job to the cutter then it just stops and nothing happens. I have went over and over the ports, and settings etc. Any ideas?:huh:  Thanks ahead of time

Tony

I have this saved, from tech support posting on here.  Keyspan  adapter is recommended  

The issue could be a number of different things, likely static related if it's just stopping in the middle of cuts. The USB to serial adapter wont resolve the static issues but it can help to mitigate them since a serial connection is harder to interrupt. First, if your cutter is a first generation MH (mk1) it will need to have a Null Modem serial cable coming from the cutter to the adapter. Second, most radio shack USB to Serial adapters will not work... Or Staples or Office Depot for that matter. That's why we only carry the Keyspan USB to serial adapter. It's the only one that we can say for sure will work as it should every time and we've tested it thoroughly.  Another solid USB to serial adapter is a Belkin- but in either case you have to have a Null Modem serial cable for either to work. Banner John is correct in that a serial connection is given COM 1 by default, however, if you're using a USB to serial adapter it will likely get a regular COM port number in the device manager. If none of this helps, be sure to call in to the support department and speak with Mike Northman. 425-902-1302

Has anyone ever say why most usb adapters don't work? I'd be currious to know what exactly is it the Keyspan is doing different for the dozen of other units on the market.

I think the USB ports on the less expensive cutters just don't have a good connection. The keyspan is bypassing the USB on the cutter in favor of the more robust Serial port connection.

Right, I understand the onboard USB is crap on a lot of the cheap cutters, was just wondering why the Keyspan is the goto external adapter choice vs the dozen of others on the market. I can't image there is that much difference between any of them, shielding would probably be the big thing and in this setting shielding shouldn't be a big deal.

Right, I understand the onboard USB is crap on a lot of the cheap cutters, was just wondering why the Keyspan is the goto external adapter choice vs the dozen of others on the market. I can't image there is that much difference between any of them, shielding would probably be the big thing and in this setting shielding shouldn't be a big deal.

the different chips use different drivers - many have tried cheaper adapters and many have bought them twice to get it going consistantly and reliably