MadHatterGraphix

Late night work sessions?

Right but I am working for them not me, if I was working all-in-knowing I have a agenda to complete then it is somewhat a different flavor versus hourly as they are making the 82.00per hr service not including travel and parts....where I am on the end of the scale, then there is....I better stay away from that one....To be independent has been my goal for so long it isnt funny any more....I tip my hat to all you guys who are doing it for YOURSELVES to stay alive and all that comes with that, I know my days are numbered as there are youngons who know more than me and can do more than me on any given day sooooo.....A business is not there to make friends..its there to make money-period.....

It can be done like you said and many on here are proof of that but sometimes it's just nice to know you'll get paid come Friday. I wouldn't change working for myself but have seen a bunch of people in different fields fail because without someone standing over their shoulder they weren't motivated.

Petro my friend its good to have a steady paycheck and I know you would rather be doing this instead of that day job. Was lucky with this order coming in its not a big one but hey it's money right lol. And I will have to say petro there might be young inks out there but you have a style and care more about what your doing. Most of the new guys/gals just want to cut weed and not care.

I quit my good job in February to move and work for a guy that I have been talking with for over a year. Once my old job ended the new guy backpedaled and said it was going to be a little while before he could hire me. I told him to go screw himself and decided to use all my vinyl equipment to try and make a living. It is scary and I haven't had much business yet but I am trying. I figure if I can't start to pay my bills from this within another two months I will just get another 9 to 5.

I quit my good job in February to move and work for a guy that I have been talking with for over a year. Once my old job ended the new guy backpedaled and said it was going to be a little while before he could hire me. I told him to go screw himself and decided to use all my vinyl equipment to try and make a living. It is scary and I haven't had much business yet but I am trying. I figure if I can't start to pay my bills from this within another two months I will just get another 9 to 5.

if you have the designs sell them on ebay... thats what i do, 80% of my income is from ebay. i know the fees are high and all that but its a good 100% profit market, have a certain genre like animals, everyone loves an animal sticker... there is a big market place so give it a try, magnetic signs are a good sell... taxi oval magnetics sell well too....  keep the ideas fresh and you wont need no 9-5.

Really, I only sell certain things on eBay because I haven't had much luck in some areas. I have had no luck selling shirts on eBay but extra vinyl materials sell fast. Have never tried designs though. Are you saying an EPs file that's ready to cut?

It can be done like you said and many on here are proof of that but sometimes it's just nice to know you'll get paid come Friday. I wouldn't change working for myself but have seen a bunch of people in different fields fail because without someone standing over their shoulder they weren't motivated.

Got family that put money into this standing over me even have the scars to prove it lol.

I built this over time while still holding a 9 to 5 so no 1 standing over me but I do like the idea of being able to eat and the light co. doesn't like excuses so I feel you there.

I'm really just trying to get by for another year until January when I have 60 college credits and can get a IT job. Serves me right for waiting 13 years to start college. I do think it will be cool if I can make enough out of my business to let my kids do something with it while they are in high school. I have two girls that are looking for jobs for the summer, hmmmmmm I wonder. 

I sleep on average about 4 hours a day. I still have to work a regular job so I can only get things done when I get off of there. Plus I'm still teahcing myself better ways to do things. I've had no formal training in graphic design so I learn as I go. It's relaxing, kick my feet up when at the computer and enjoy a few cold ones.