Ammastor

windshild visor

Hello, iv been having a load of.requests for vinyl sun visors. What I want to do is premake the most popular designs that I have been getting requests for.to fit almost any car. My problem is. I do not know how big I should make then not where to place the images. So I need to know how I can make a universal type of visor that will work on most vehicles. Does anyone have a template or know how to go about this?

Ammastor

JP Vinyl Design

I do them for a few places here and they all request 36" wide by 2 1/2-3" tall

They only want them 36" wide? Most windshields are wider then that. We talki.g about the same thing?

yup across the top of a windshield. Its what the business that order them want. I see them all around town and the look good. Not all windshields are wide look at Jeeps and such (my Jeep is about 4'-6" and my GTO is 4' at top of windshield). Do them how you want, Im just telling you what my orders have been.

When I put them on I just do dry. And I have seen the 4x4 shop I make them for install them only dry as well. Using tape across center method. When I did my wifes Jeep hood I did same way and was easier then doing wet.

Ya this is true. Come to think of it i have seen a load of windshields that narrow drasticaly at the top. However in my area there are a load of trucks that are much bigger. Ford f150s and such. Just wasnt sure how others did them. I mean just wanted a few premade to fit almost any vehicle with just a trim. Couldnt really find anything online about it so i came here to look and see what was to be said. Thanks for your reply. If you have any tips on how to make them let me know.

Thanks

I think you guys are talking about different things. A solid piece of vinyl that goes all the way across the windshield to block the sunlight VS cut lettering that is placed on the windshield. Thats what it sounded like to me anyway. Unfortunately my answer is no there is not a universal size for a visor or solid piece because I don't have much faith that the customers will be able to cut it to size without damaging their car or the vinyl.

Yes I was talking about a strip that spans the full length of the vehicle.  (windshield width)  I am guessing that I would be better off cutting per order to the actual car specified.  Any templates out there per car for this or how would you guys recommend this be done.  I to this date have not made one.  With the requests I am getting would really like to learn how.  Without giving myself a headache or pulling my hair out.

I cut slightly oversize and trim to fit on car. Even 2 identical cars can have the glass set in slightly different than the next.

That is definitively a tip to remember.  I use to install windshields and that is something I never thought of.   Thank you 

Yeah the rubbers never the same and if its been replaced by a shade tree god only knows how off it might be

I made one for my car which has a very curved windshield. I had a roll of paper I laid on the windshield and taped into place then traced the edge of the windshield. Then laid the paper flat , drew a straight line all the way across it, and took measurements from the straight line to the curved line every inch. Next I created the banner in SignBlazer and then did a test plot with the pen adapter. Cut it out and laid it on the car. Wasn't exactly right so made some adjustments and did it again. Repeated the process till I was happy with the results and then cut the vinyl. I was very pleased with the result but this process it probably a bit too tedious for a business.

FYI, my final shape was almost a U there is so much curve to my window.

Why dont you make them to your largest size and then use that and just trim them if you get a smaller windshield. Or maybe make 10 truck ones the size of the largest windshield of a truck, then maybe 10 car ones that size of the largest car.

But unless your selling these things like crazy I would just make them to order. 

Also, as mentioned in another thread. Depending on the state you are in the laws limit size and location of decals/tenting on the windshield. Might want to look up what is allowed in your state.

The trimming is what I was the most curious about. what have you guys used to trim the vinyl that is slightly too large. I would be worried about scratching the glass with a razor.

Use my breakaway knife all the time and never scratched glass just need a sharp blade.

your razor should not scratch the glass.  I tinted windows for so many years and we did all our cutting and trimming etc. right on the windows. Also, if you look at the windshield, on the side near the top, there should be a small line with the letters ASI or ANSI or something like that (I forget off the top of my head)  If you state allows film on the windshield, usually that line is as far down as your supposed to be able to go.  The laws vary by state but I know here in Texas, that line is the limit.  I almost had to peel mine off once while getting it inspected.  Until the guy realized I did it myself..... then he said, "If I make you take this off are you just going to go home and put another one on?"  I said "Yup"  he replied with "nevermind then, it's our secret, if anyone asks, I made you take it off..... have a nice day"

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas

xpaperman.  You are right thereare A lines on all windshields.  Even the manufactures have to follow the guidelines with there.  Im in PA and the A lines are the law.  Nothing below them but anything above them.  Other states I am not sure of but I know that is the way it is in PA.

You have to calculate the "drop" if you don't want it to look out of place. The drop is the distance from a straight line drawn across the two highest points of the windshield to the top edge at the center of the windshield. this way when applied your lettering/graphic maintains the same offset from the top of the glass throughout the application.