Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser

Decals for football helmets wrestlers ear guards

This is all very new to me. I just retired and would like a hobby. I recently attended a wrestling tournament and they were selling decals to adhere to wrestlers head gear. Can anyone tell me how I can get started? What I saw was them applying decals that I'm sure they made to the gear with a hair dryer. First how can I make or copy the decals (Best program). Should I use a vinyl plotter? Like I said this is all new. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

See sample attached.

Bruiser

post-41430-0-64850600-1367265214_thumb.j

Printed.

Not cut vinyl.

Bruiser, if you want a hobby, take up needlepoint.

Just kidding.

As these are primarily for indoor use and won't be exposed to extremes of weather or constant direct sunlight, this is one of those rare situations where you may be able to get away with using inkjet printable vinyl.  Note the emphasis on may...

Papilio sells a conformable white vinyl that accepts aqueous inks, either dye or pigment based, and should be able to conform to the ear guards you reference.  They will need to be laminated after they have dried and before they are cut and applied.   I would not recommend this same process for football helmets or other sporting goods intended primarily for outdoor use, or anything that is going to be banged around too much.

You can order a sample sheet for $1.62 (plus S&H) - I do not see an option for ordering a single sheet of laminating material, the minimum seems to be 10 sheets for around $12.  I would try printing and cutting one set and testing it out thoroughly before offering this as an option to a paying customer.  Without lamination the vinyl will have a matte finish and be much more susceptible to scratching and scraping.

Unfortunately if that doesn't work, then your next option is the multi-thousand dollar systems like Kissfan76 suggested, or outsourcing the manufacturing to someone else with the proper equipment, like Dakotagrafx, who can do the printing, laminating and cutting for you after you've designed the work.

• Like 3

I agree with OWJones. I think that these could be done on an inkjet.

You could ask the guys on here that are set up to make these decals to see if they would be interested in working a deal with you. They make the product and you sell them at the tournaments.

They will not conform using aqueous ready inkjet material. 

Have you tried their new low-profile, conformable material? 

no, But I have wrapped hundreds of headsets and I do not see it acting at all like Convex with proshield lam. Takes lots of heat and  LOTS of stretch and conforming to go around the ear cup. Even with this combo have to be extra careful not to overstrech. 

sorry guys I'm with mark and mopar on this one - would have to be a cast material, laminated and will get a lot of sweat, cleaning - not the place for aqueous

no, But I have wrapped hundreds of headsets and I do not see it acting at all like Convex with proshield lam. Takes lots of heat and  LOTS of stretch and conforming to go around the ear cup. Even with this combo have to be extra careful not to overstrech. 

Mopar691,

I noticed you said you've done hundreds? is this something you can make for me? or tell me exactly how I can do it? I have a high end laser printer will this work? Is Convex the material I should use? Can I do this with a small investment? I would really appreciate any information you can provide me.

Thank you,

Bruiser

Its easy to print a pain to install. I do lots of wrestling club work thru the school year. Most that I do are school logos, flames, prints with names/weights etc. 

convex is the right product for the project - you only need a $9K printer to print on it - or sub it out to someone that has the right printer like mopar

• Like 1

They do take a beating and a normal 2 or 3 mil lam just does not hold up well enough for very long. Think football helmet, regular wrap film and lam looks nice for about 1 game. I will look to see if I have any pics of some that I have done when I get into office tomorrow

As these are primarily for indoor use and won't be exposed to extremes of weather or constant direct sunlight, this is one of those rare situations where you may be able to get away with using inkjet printable vinyl.  Note the emphasis on may...

Papilio sells a conformable white vinyl that accepts aqueous inks, either dye or pigment based, and should be able to conform to the ear guards you reference.  They will need to be laminated after they have dried and before they are cut and applied.   I would not recommend this same process for football helmets or other sporting goods intended primarily for outdoor use, or anything that is going to be banged around too much.

You can order a sample sheet for $1.62 (plus S&H) - I do not see an option for ordering a single sheet of laminating material, the minimum seems to be 10 sheets for around $12.  I would try printing and cutting one set and testing it out thoroughly before offering this as an option to a paying customer.  Without lamination the vinyl will have a matte finish and be much more susceptible to scratching and scraping.

Unfortunately if that doesn't work, then your next option is the multi-thousand dollar systems like Kissfan76 suggested, or outsourcing the manufacturing to someone else with the proper equipment, like Dakotagrafx, who can do the printing, laminating and cutting for you after you've designed the work.

Thanks OW, I am going to contact Papillo and see what they recommend. I appreciate the help nobody has offered to outsource to me.

If you were expecting me to draw them for you to fit to your head gear I don't have and it would be a one off and print the cost would be about 265 for the first set if its not the head gear I currently apply to. Buy in quantity and get the pricing down. Plus I need you to ship me your headgear along with a cashiers check. 

Things like this take lots of hours to get set up and do correctly when there is no template and such. Cant just wing it, there are straps, buttons, holes, etc. How am I to make a layout without knowing where them elements are and then every one stretches different according to shape so that has to be taken into account for the final design also. Unless you just want it single color then sure, I will print it up for you no problem. 

• Like 1

If you were expecting me to draw them for you to fit to your head gear I don't have and it would be a one off and print the cost would be about 265 for the first set if its not the head gear I currently apply to. Buy in quantity and get the pricing down. Plus I need you to ship me your headgear along with a cashiers check. 

Things like this take lots of hours to get set up and do correctly when there is no template and such. Cant just wing it, there are straps, buttons, holes, etc. How am I to make a layout without knowing where them elements are and then every one stretches different according to shape so that has to be taken into account for the final design also. Unless you just want it single color then sure, I will print it up for you no problem. 

No, what I was looking for was to send you the art work with the size needed I would probably 50 decals at a time. I pay and you print them up and send them back. This is not something I'm doing to make a fortune. I want to put them on myself. I understand it will take practice and patients. When I saw it being done they were heated and formed to the head gear with a blow dryer right on the spot. The customer picked the pattern( from samples) and paid to have them put on their headgear.

Need to know what kind of headgear this is going on or will you have the proper pattern and cut line all ready to go? If so then easy peasy. If you want in in convex and proshield lam then let me know how big they are and I can get you pricing as I have both them materials on hand. 3951HT will work also but I still suggest the 7 mil lam

Need to know what kind of headgear this is going on or will you have the proper pattern and cut line all ready to go? If so then easy peasy. If you want in in convex and proshield lam then let me know how big they are and I can get you pricing as I have both them materials on hand. 3951HT will work also but I still suggest the 7 mil lam

I'm not sure what the cutline is but the head gear measures each ear pad 6" x 5" with a convex oval area about 3 3/4" with no holes. The straps holes are all around the sides. I think the print area will be about 4x4 oval with approx 1" on the outside. I hope I'm clear about size. Would any of these be heated to work with or adhere to surface? That is the part I'm not sure of.  I'll leave material up to your discretion and expertise.