Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Anyone catch this week's Storage Wars?

They opened up a unit with a Mimaki JV3-160SP 63" wide color printer and rolls and rolls of vinyl.  The guy who recently committed suicide, Mark Balelo,  ended up buying the unit for $2700 and was sure he was getting a great deal.*

He hauled it to someone who knew about such equipment and they told him what you would expect - it was put away with ink in the lines and in the tanks - the ink was no good, the lines and heads would need to be replaced, etc.  Then when they plugged it in, it wouldn't even power up...

He ended up selling it to the guy for $1000 for parts.

*Sadly, he always thought he was getting a great deal, and yet he almost never did.  I remember in one of the first episodes on which he appeared, he found a Nintendo NES system in a unit and claimed it was the earliest model and was worth thousands of dollars - it ended up being the same version that everyone has in the back of their closet and was worth about $20 - but it didn't power up, either, so it was worth nothing.

Haven't watched in awhile but the 1 that stick out to me was them finding a Snap-on tool box and tools bragging it would sell for a couple hundred dollars. I buy snap on tools and I would of paid freight ot get that stuff. Super small top box I have cost $600 empty. These show would be more interesting to me if the values were set by people who actually know about the items instead of people pretending to know and throwing out completely random numbers.

• Like 1

I used to watch it all the time till I found out this show, and others like it are all staged and fake.  Since, I have quite watching all those shows and for some reason I have a ton of free time on my hands.....  LOL

It's the only show of this variety that I regularly watch.  So far this season they haven't faked it or staged it with anything particularly cool - it's all been pretty hum-drum boring stuff.  The show is a LOT better now that Dave (YUPPP!) is gone. 

They should give Barry his own show - I'd watch that.

i seen one that there was a nice screen printing setup .  4 color 4 station press .. with tons of screens.. it went for like 1400$

Which one is mark? Been awhile since I watched it. I remember dave. Then the couple that always argue and the older guy with all the expensive cars lol

Mark is the Hispanic gentleman that everyone called "Rico Suave" - he carried a man purse stuffed with $100 bills  and was always way over dressed for an auction.  I can't recall a single time that he ever showed a large profit.

Mark is the Hispanic gentleman that everyone called "Rico Suave" I can't recall a single time that he ever showed a large profit.

Probably was into huge debt, had just been arrested for drugs, and he decided to put an end to it all, ultimately.

So sad.

I never understood the attraction of spending money (and getting bid up, to boot) for what essentially is other's people's junk that's been discarded.

Sure, they make it seem like there are 'treasures' in these units as they reveal with such suspense on TV, but I guarantee that in the real world, the vast majority of storage bins are filled with G A R B A G E.

I guarantee that in the real world, the vast majority of storage bins are filled with G A R B A G E.

I work at the landfill as my "real" job and you're right - a lot of the people that buy those storage lockers do bring most of the contents to the landfill for disposal, but you occassionally get lucky and can find some great deals at an auction.

My Badge-A-Minit button making equipment would have cost over $1000 retail (I have the 2.25" semi-automatic machine, two 2.25" benchtop machines, a manual circle cutter and an electric circle cutter, plus an assortment of replacement blades and button parts.  I paid $27 for the whole kit and kaboodle at an auction and have made several hundred dollars in button sales since.

I buy B-A-M compatible parts* off of ebay in qty of 500 or 1000 for $0.11 each (including shipping and handling) add an additional $0.02 - $0.03 per button for artwork (I can print up to 9 buttons on a single sheet of paper, so probably less than that) for a total cost of less than $0.15 each and I can churn out 70-80 per hour while watching television, so labor doesn't add much to the price.   I regularly sell large quantities for fund raisers or advertising for $1 each, or one-off designs for $2 each, or more.   For the upcoming Race for the Cure, I've printed out a variety of button designs with a pink ribbon angel and  a place for people to write their name, or the name of a loved one.  I can load it up and stamp out a button for them while they wait.   I probably get more business out of my $27 button making kit than I do everything else.  I've done similar things at street fairs and allowed kids to color their own designs for $1 and then turn it into a button before their eyes.

*Badge-A-Minit prescribes to the "razor blade" business model - they sell you the equipment for a reasonable price and then stick it to you with expensive consumables and by buying compatible parts on ebay I can keep my prices WAY low.  A set of 500 button parts from Badge-A-Minit is $119 plus S&H.  A comparable set of parts off of ebay cost $43.00 plus $17 S&H.  I honestly can't tell a difference between the parts except the OEM ones are stamped with "Badge-A-Minit" and the other ones are not.

I watch the show. I know its totally fake. But I like Barry, his bling, cars, bikes and antics. He is quite the character. I agree, I would watch just a Barry show. If you are bored, do a google search for "how much is barry weiss worth". :o

The guy that bought that printer looked a little diappointed that mark took the $1000 - I think he realized he just overpaid for one that needs all new heats etc and doesn't power on.

I saw the Nintendo one but I stopped watching that show got to scripted for me...... I'm on Duck Dynasty now JACK! This one is scripted to but its pretty funny and not like most garbage on now a days.

If it is true as rumored that each 'cast member' on Storage Wars make $10,000 per episode, they are grossly overpaid based on the entertainment value they provide IMHO.

Speaking of net worth, Willie and Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty have some pretty impressive numbers from basically duck calls that aren't all that great when compared. Guess it's all in the marketing.

From the one episode I've seen, Backyard Oil looks like it could be a good one.... but I digress.

All of the people on th show are fairly well off Barry in excess of seven million the lowest worth was Jarred and Brandie they are worth three quarters of a million . All the reality shows are fake as Hell like the lizard lick the repo show and operation repo there is no way you end up fighting on every repo . I was a repo man for a while and never had a problem with anyone wanting to fight but did have a gun pulled on me once but with a little calm reasoning the guy backed off ( I had my 45 tucked in my back waistband but never let him know I was armed ) I actually like the spin off better storage wars Texas and storage wars New Yuck .

What, FAKE? Say it isn't so. You mean those guys on Duck Dynasty aren't for real?

I dont watch much tv  but I think DD is a pretty funny show maybe because I have a little redneck in me!

What, FAKE? Say it isn't so. You mean those guys on Duck Dynasty aren't for real?

All of the people on th show are fairly well off Barry in excess of seven million the lowest worth was Jarred and Brandie they are worth three quarters of a million . All the reality shows are fake as Hell like the lizard lick the repo show and operation repo there is no way you end up fighting on every repo . I was a repo man for a while and never had a problem with anyone wanting to fight but did have a gun pulled on me once but with a little calm reasoning the guy backed off ( I had my 45 tucked in my back waistband but never let him know I was armed ) I actually like the spin off better storage wars Texas and storage wars New Yuck .

and that is why you don't have your own reality show LOL  personally I like deadliest catch and DD.  I also watch swamp people but realize if there was no cameras around they would gently bring the gators up and shoot them as quietly and easily as possible - but if they did that there would be no show.

• Like 1

I have a friend that handles scheduling auctions for the local storage units here.  She hates Storage Wars with a passion due to all the people that show up thinking they're going to make bank on these storage units they buy.

She tells me all the time that the majority of the contents are business junk that is loaded into a storage unit taking advantage of the first month free deal that they all seem to run.  Apparently it's cheaper transporting this crap to a storage unit then paying the "by the pound" corporate disposal fee at the landfill especially when you figure in the "hazardous materials"  fee  associated with electronics and the like.