Sign in to follow this  
MidnightGlassworks

Graphtec FC8000 series - cuts choppy toward end of job

Ive changed the blade and done the blade adjust procedures, just installed a new teflon strip, and test cut went fine.  I ran a job that was 21"h x 36" long. At first, some parts of the design, were there were points, would lift upon cutting. The middle of the job came out perfect. however, toward the last 6" x 6" of the job at the bottom of it, it began skipping, getting choppy and lifting to the point where it couldnt be weeded.

Im thinking makybe my rollers are getting bad and the weight of the vinyl, as it hangs, is taking a toll because i dont use the basket.  However, there was only about 30" hanging before it started doing that.  Ive had this plotter for about 3 or 4 years and have run a good amount of vinyl through it and let it hang or be rolled up on the floor after the job.... and it doesnt explain the beginning of the job where the points or corners are like tails and lifting.

any diagnosis? 

post-41138-0-15621800-1367026788_thumb.j

Blade still looks to be deep. Some one with more knowledge than me will chime in and help I'm sure.

Jay

thank you Jay... the depth is at 14. When I went to 13, it wasnt deep enough and coudltnt be weeded. so I  went back to 14, it cut the middle of the job fine, then toward the end all of a sudden it egarn to cut like whats in that picture. that was the last stencil i cut, but everything before that was ok

Same vinyl for this 1 and the ones before it? I've had white 3M and Avery do that in weird spots but usually it'll last several feet when it does.

Jay

14 isn't the  blade depth.  it is the force....  I have the older sister  FC7000-MK2-75 and it looks like you have too much blade exposed.  I cut orders 12-16 ft long,  and always good cuts..  And I love the use of the media basket,

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

also make sure there are not any small pieces of vinyl stuck in your blade holder,  a drop of light oil on the blade to help it turn freely also.

the blade is sticking out of the blade holder just enough to sscratch the vinrl. i securely tightened the blade holder into the plunger. ran the blade target test based on 4mil and texted til the target was achieved and then ran a test at 14 force and speed of 5 and this is what i got.

text cut after replacig blade at 14 force

theres no vinyl stuck in the blade holder. the teflon strip is new and secure with no air pockets or bumps.

iss there a type of oil i should try to use?

so,  did you follow the instructions I gave you above for setting the blade depth?  You must do that first.  A light oil like 3-1, sewing machine oil.

I hope you mean you took the blade holder out of the machine, and cut the vinyl...  

Then what?   You should just barely see the tip of the blade out of the holder...

I just changed my blade after about 8-9 months of serious cutting.  Knowing it was a new blade, I backed it off a bit, (turned blue knob on top), started with force 11, it cut good,and ended up with a great test cut at force 12.

Make sure your blade tip is not broken..

I am with everyone else - too much blade and it isn't turning freely in that holder - can tell from the cuts - could be a bad blade also

This is what my blade looks like in the blade holder:

20130427 100733

Im not sure if you can see it, but its barely stcking out of the blade holder.  If I trun the blue knob counter clockwise anymore, then it wont be able to scratch the vinyl when I test it, like you suggested.

todays a new day, s im trying all over again... even though this is a new blade, will try with another new blade and some oil in the blade holder and see what happens

Nobody is telling you to "scratch" the vinyl.   Take the blade holder in your hand and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl . The same vinyl you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing.  Adjust your blade to get to that point.   When you can do that, then put the blade holder back into your cutter.  Then use the force of your machine to get the same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing.

+1  for mz skeeter you should just cut through the vinyl by hand when using firm pressure not a light pass. If you can do it with a light pass you've got too much blade exposed.

So far, I have installed the new blade and spring, added a drop of sewing maching oil and and followed This is the video I normally follow as a guideline to ensure i do it correctly:

it seems to be working well now... thanks...

btw, "scratching the vinyl" is what was said in the video i just posted.... maybe that was the wrong term... But thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Your welcome.The video is great, but overkill,  much faster and easier to do it how I told you above.  Just taking the blade holder out and cutting a piece of scrap vinyl.   

When I got my FC7000.  tech support told me to turn the blade all the way in, and lower the blade holder to the cutting strip, get eye level  with the bottom of the blade holder.  Turn the top of the blue blade holder until I could just see daylight under the blade holder and stop right there. Put the blade holder back in and do test cuts.  That worked also.

Turns out, that the plotter did the same thing. It ran ok for the first 15 inches of the job then on the last few inches started to skip. I reset the default settings, thinking that would help. I ran a job, and this is what I got. I put pink chalk on it, in hopes you could see the detail cuts better.

20130427 121918

Now, Its not finishing at its point of origin. if you notice, on one of the leaves, its doesnt connect.  And on the shorter leaf to the bottomm left, it even cuts an extra line 1/3 of the way through the leaf. =/

I suggest you quit following that video and set your blade like I told you above.  And don't scratch

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and FIRMLY cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

I did exactly as you instructed; "by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and FIRMLY cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing," Turns out i didnt need to adjust the blade at all because the blade cut through the vinyl and there was barely a mark on the wax paper. And Same result. Ive also tried uninstalling, defragging and reinstalling the software to see if it was a software problem for some reason; same result.

I just cleaned the rollers, although it didnt look like there was any sticky reidue, and it seems to be working fine now.  I ran one of my regular jobs, and it clut great from start ot finish. thanks again for your help and your patience

glad to hear you got it working - was afraid you was going to have to ship it to me to use LOL