Man I have been needing a lot of help, I am still struggling with pricing, I got a call today for cut vinyl on office windows. 6 windows total, two with their logo 26" x 26" and 4 with text. Most are 6' tall and they want the font big. I estimate 4700 square inches of vinyl and 1.5 hours labor to install. What do you guys think?

Does that labor cost include cutting, weeding and install? If it does you are way under estimating the labor. 

You left out some key things like how many colors, what kind of vinyl, etc. 

All cut and installed I would be around $1000 if it is all one color. 

• Like 1

The labor charge is for installation only. I have been pricing my vinyl sales separate from the installation. All the text is white 651 and the logo is 3 colors.

Talked to the customer again this afternoon and he wants me to do the vinyl on a security patrol car as well. I am meeting with him next week to go over the lay out but I need to be able to tell him a price. I don't know why I am having such a difficult time grasping the concept of vinyl pricing, geez. 

• Like 1

I don't deal with inches..... I just go with linear feet.  What ever width your using, figure out what it cost per linear foot.  I start with about 6 times the cost of a linear foot.  For example if what you using cost .60 per linear foot, times 6 is 3.60 a foot.  How many feet are ya gonna need?  Multiply by 3.60.  Then, whatever scraps you can come up with off that job are just bonus freebees for the next project!  You can always come down off the 6 times part (I usually do)  but charge the customer by linear feet that way they are paying for the waste too.  Some one has to.... you cant eat that yourself!  It is easier to throw out a number a tad high and see their reaction.  I have heard "that sounds cheap, lets do it"  (love that) to a little cringe at which point you can always come off with "but I can do it for" and that usually puts a smile on their face.   You just have to figure out what works best for you and what you can get away with in your area.

• Like 1

Thanks xpaperman the linear price is easier than what I have been doing. I bought 10 yard rolls to keep my initial inventory costs down I paid more than you. I'm looking at .83 cents a linear foot for the 24" 651 so x6 is $5 a linear foot. I'm not looking at my notes but I think it would be about 17 linear feet for the text and logo so $85, is that what you are saying? I really haven't had much business yet and everything I have done has been for friends with friend prices. Oh and my measurements are for the material needed to do the job including waste, there won't be much of any scraps left because of the lay out though. 

I figure on sq. footage and any fraction is rounded up so I don't hold the bag on scraps. Based on 24" roll, I get $8 a running foot. Small decals and logos usually get $1 an inch based on longest measurement but I also use my discretion in pricing. The van I posted earlier was for a long time loyal customer and I did it for $450 but I was asked by several people while I was installing and I said it would start at $600 for that job. Luckily I work in small town USA and actually do a lot of installs right on Main St., best advertising you'll ever get when people actually see what you do.

Jay

• Like 1

The .60 was not an exact number, but if using say a 15 inch roll, your price per liner foot would be lower.  However, you understand what I mean.  It is just another way to figure vinyl.  You will figure out what way works best for you.  

That is great you will have almost no waste!  Sometimes however you might have say, a 6 inch strip the length of a line of text...... I save stuff like that for smaller jobs.  Since the first customer already paid for it.... the second person is just adding a little extra jingle in my pocket.

Another hint... when you order vinyl.... (especially is you order different types, from different suppliers and different sizes) when it comes in, figure the price per linear foot for each roll and just jot that number down inside the tube with a sharpie.... now you know what each different one costs on the fly!

Don not know if this helps or not but I use it for simple calculations.  But I made a simple Excel Calculator that calculates price per linear foot, sq inch, and so on.  Also gives you a price for single and multi color decals.  Also gives you total sq inch and liner foot per roll.  just need to know how much you paid for a roll of vinyl, length of roll, and width of roll and it calculates everything for you.  Also tell you how much it costs for a decal to make.  Simple and easy to use.

If you are interested in it.  Msg me and I will send it to you.

This is a great thread, a lot of good feedback!  Just getting into the sign business as a hobby and already have some jobs lined up.  Obviously as most they start with friends and family, but I've been wondering some of this exact info myself.

Havnt had a chance to send you that file. Hopefully i will remember when i get home.tonight to send it to you.

XPaperman,

I am new to Vinyl graphics business also. How did you come up with the number 6 to multiply the cost of vinyl by?

Brad

I ran across a free pricing program "Express invioce" which has worked out great(for me) I can itemize materials,labor/installation, design ect. I charge 6.95 per liniar ft. for 651 cut vinyl and $45.00 hr for installation.This took a little time to set up but it allows you to print a "quote", convert to "order" then to an "invoice. allows to post payments, does inventory tracking and so forth. The best "pricing" system I've found that works for me. Worth looing at for easy tracking of "everything!"

• Like 1