Sign in to follow this  
SpurbackMotorSports

Holographic vinyl problem

I order some holographic vinyl on ebay i cut some graphics for a customer race car hauler and his race car its a holographic blue circle vinyl. The problem i had i layed lime green black and the blue . The blue vinyl after being on the trucked for 5 days turn chrome the blue all come off. Has anyone had this problem.do i have to put clear vinyl over top of this stuff.

Really need a fix use two rolls on his race car and would suck to remake

Can email me at drewracingteam@msn.com

I use some stuff off ebay i stick fine just the blue comes off im thinking of trying to use clear vinyl to seal off the the blue from the elements and try to protect it from uv rays do you think that will work

Depends on the vinyl - if it is cheap chinese off brand I wouldn't count on it  - contact the seller

If the blue is coming off like that I wouldn't think the clear would have anything to bond with. May just fall off with the clear attached.

Jay

If you cut the clear larger than the blue it will probably hold it on, but if the blue is de-laminating from it's background, then it's probably just going to bubble up and look horrible - but it should stay on.

Was there a brand name that came with this ebay vinyl?  I've never known any of the big name vinyls to do anything like that!  Even the products with short life spans will give you more than 5 days!

covering crappy material doesn't make it better - if it can't stand on it's own it really isn't good enough to sell

• Like 1

+  for what Dakota said. Not worth the bad name over inferior products.

Jay

I understand that the get-what-you-pay-for mantra, but a lot of those in the motorsports realm like the flash of the holographic films. I've yet to encounter an instance where a specialty film fell apart that quickly though, that seems like an anomaly. Most racecars aren't subjected to the same elements for the same periods of time so in many cases we can get away with a cheaper film that still looks great, but for a hauler that is subjected to the elements, unfortunately your best bet may be to order up some transparent/translucent blue (Oracal 8300 works nice over top of Silver Leaf) to get some blue back on your rig... You'll still be applying it to a questionable surface so its dealers option at this point