Sign in to follow this  
wesdog

MH Series cutter problems

Hello I am having a huge problem with my cutter. I know its probably a calibration issue but need info on best way to cure problem. I am cutting an 8' logo and the main problem I had at first was the vinyl was running on me terribly so the tail end of my decal was cut off. Now I slowed the speed for the second attempt and it worked a hair better but still ran almost 1/2 inch by end of decal. I also noticed my knife kinda shutters/drags a bit as its cutting. I figured this was just a issue since its a cheaper cutter but thought now maybe that could be dragging vinyl also causing it to run. Any help is appreciated.

sounds like the material is slipping - you are pulling slack first so it doesn't have to pull directly off the roll correct?

what do you mean by the vinyl is running on you. i would make sure you are tracking correctly by use the offline button and i would track the hole 8ft through to make sure its pulling it through properly before starting a large cut like that. 

what do you mean by the vinyl is running on you. i would make sure you are tracking correctly by use the offline button and i would track the hole 8ft through to make sure its pulling it through properly before starting a large cut like that. 

For example if I line vinyl on 3" mark by the time its at 8' its off by 3/4" and on the 3 3/4" mark.

second try - too much blade causing the shuttering and the media to slip - have just enough blade out to cut thru the vinyl and not the backing

Its not cutting through backingmuch if at all. In spots sometimes it does for some reason. Can cut pressure cause the shuttering?

3 things on the shuttering - too much blade (usually from people ironiously using the 1/2 credit card rule that is sooooo wrong), blade is not roatating freely in the holder or bad vector job with lots of stray nodes.
If you are cutting into the backing at all you have too much blade out - this causes more drag and material slippage especially on the value cutters

Ok I have adjusted the blade a bit and I also changed cut pressure to 70g and I have speed at 250 which is what I use for my heat transfer vinyl and it usually cuts ok. Thanks for all your help so far.

If it is tracking ok, check that you don't have a small piece of vinyl trapped in your blade holder.

Along with everything else said.

I bet 80 percent of the problems other than not installing all the drivers when first set up is caused by too much blade sticking out . .  . just a calculated guess from hanging around too many years.   too much balde in your case causes more drag and slippage with the grit rollers over the long runs.  the higher end cutters don't use a grit but a cut knurled roller that grips better so it is more critical on the value cutters to have it set up optimally - expecially when doing long runs

take the holder out and adjust it so when cut by hand the blade just cuts thru the vinyl and leaves a dent on the backing paper - reinstall the holder and then adjust the pressure as neccessary - Jerry from signblazer had it close to right many years ago with less blade more pressure is the winning combo

yeah the less blade more pressure deff is the way to go with this cutter but as for speed I've never cut over 180m/s and i slow it way way down for any design that has intricate text or design.