prettybird

Qe60 cutter turns on but doesn't do anything

Hi, we recently got a Vinyl Express Qe60 vinyl cutter.  We got it used and were told that it works good but we can't get it to work.  It will turn on, but none of the buttons do anything and it won't cut anything.  I've posted a picture of what the display says when we turn it on.  Any suggestions on what we can try or what it could be?  Thanks, Deanna

post-5059-0-53291800-1366414131_thumb.jp

Did the people you bought it from show you it worked? Did you get the manual with it? That is a SignWarehouse cutter, you may be able to get the manual there if you didn't get one. There may be some troubleshooting tips in the manual.

that is just the opening screen -  - if you have vinyl in it and over the sensors it should proceed to the load media screen  - if not contact signwarehouse for tech support - I have one and it flashes that for a couple of seconds (the firmware info) then goes to setup

http://www.signwarehouse.com/tech-support/pdfs/VEX_Qe06_151.pdf

Here is a link to the manual. It has a lot of good info in it. follow the setup steps one by one and you will be able to determine if it is working. (registers media is loaded,  cutter head is movable by touch controls, can perform test cut.) Once those things are confirmed you can move onto attempting to figure out the cutting software and getting that to work because the wrong settings and file can prevent it from working. Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks, I found that manual also and tried to do some things and it won't do anything.  The only thing it seems to do is turn on.  It doesn't register media, and none of the buttons do anything if you push them.  It doesn't ever change from the first screen I showed in the picture.  The trouble shooting tips in the manual don't seem to help either.  I emailed sign warehouse and asked them if there is a repair manual for it that I can get and they said there isn't one available and they thought maybe it's either the power or the main board went out.  We'd like to know for sure though if possible before we start buying parts for it.  We got a really good deal on it because we bought it as is without seeing it work first (even though they swore up and down that it worked great).  We heard these were good machines so we didn't mind putting a little more money into it if needed, but don't want to buy parts we won't need. 

You can try resetting the unit, if you haven't already.

Turn power off, hold down the "up" arrow button (^) and turn the power on while holding the button.

• Like 1

They are incredible cutters - if it is a main board it will be around $500.  for some reason yours is not completeing the self check. skeeter has said you can reset the Graphtecs by

"reset your cutter by turning on the cutter WHILE holding down the UP arrow"

I would give it a try

ohh good find - last I heard you have to order them thru a graphtec repair center.  gotta keep this one in the memory banks.  question being if his doen't have arms will the ce-5000 mainboard work in it as they are a little different - if it did it would be even better.

We tried to reset it, still no changes.  Does anyone know if there is a way to test the main board to see if that's it before we spend the money?  thanks for the help :)

Thanks - we will try to contact graphtec and see what they say, or maybe take it to our local repair place

more than likely they will refer you to signwarehouse - it is part of the agreement with the private branded cutters that the seller provides all the support

My machine did the same thing today! It completed one job, I went to load a new color vinyl, and it wouldn't do anything!!! I turned it off and on and also tried to reset, but it won't go past first message on screen. Any advice? Did your issue get resolved and how? Thanks!!!

I have a Qe60+. I have had it for years. No problems.  Recently, I began having the same problem. I took it apart and blew 10 years worth of dust out of it. Then I pulled each cable loose, and plug them back in a few times to clean the contacts. So far, it works like it did when it was new. There was a lot of dust packed down on the roller track on top. I used a small paint brush to sweep it while blowing air.  Give it a try before you buy parts. I did notice one of my pinch rollers needs replacing. Will order that next time I order vinyl. Good Luck!

10 minutes ago, Sathy1111 said:

Did anyone ever find an answer?? Dealing with the same thing and I’m so frustrated!!! Thanks so much 

That cutter was sold by Signwarehouse,  have you contacted them?  Your not giving much info,  Is it a new cutter,?  How long have you owned it?  Did you just buy it.  What have you done to try and fix it?  The more info you can give the more someone can help you. 

Wow I didn’t know if anyone would actually reply. 

I bought it new from sign warehouse. I’ve had it for several years. I’ve been the only user. I put it away for a few years and now I am getting the exact same thing as the woman who took the picture. I’ve reset it. I’ve cleaned the entire thing inside and out. It’s so weird. I’ve never had any issues with it. I was able to do a test cut last night but not sure how. When I reset it I am able to push the up buttons and enter, then it lands on the mentioned setting. 

When I put the handle down for loading media, nothing is registering. It doesn’t say load media or anything. 

When I reset it, is there a set up I am supposed to follow?

sign warehouse told me 5 years ago they could not help me with tech support because I was out of my one year warranty for that...which seemed odd to me.

Thank you so much. I’m going on 24 hours of complete insanity and frustration. 

did you remember that the vinyl being loaded has to be over the 2 sensors that are in front of the large roller on the right - and the rollers have to be directly over the knurled part for it to attempt to read the size of the media?