Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Why I hate Dye Sub

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the whole process, it's the shopping for blanks that always gets me into trouble...

I just went to Conde to order a set of materials for making lanyards - it should have been a $10 order... but the next thing you know I've decided I need a few of these, a couple of those, and suddenly it's a $143+ order...

Hello, my name is OWJones and I'm a dye-sub blanks shopping addict....

Anybody want to be my sponsor?

Sorry bit addicted as well. Just looked at iphone cases and next thing you know I've got car flags and mini tees and and and. I feel ya, just can't help a fellow addict

Jay

I can't do 10 steps, it's too far to fall when I backslide.

Jay

• Like 1

lol, it's a ten step program

I talked to my lawyer, he's pretty sure he can get the judge to knock it down to a 5-7 step program, 3 steps with good behavior...

• Like 1

Funny thing is a couple of years ago I didn't know what dye sub was until somebody said try it, it won't hurt you... Hooked ever since.

Jay

Funny thing is a couple of years ago I didn't know what dye sub was until somebody said try it, it won't hurt you... Hooked ever since.

Jay

My memory may be wrong here, but the first time I thought I'd heard of "dye sublimation" it was for very high end color printers that produced glossy magazine quality pages at prices measured in dollars per page, and that was in the late 80's or early 90's.

It was only last year that I first heard that dye sublimation did a lot more than that and found someone on this very forum selling a used Epson WF1100 with several ounces of bulk high-temp ink that I decided to give it a try.  He threw in a pack of transfer paper and a stack of blank mousepads and I've been hooked ever since...  It's not quite as expensive as heroin, but it's definitely as addictive!

• Like 1

I have a question. I ordered the high temp inks from cobra ink with my epson wf-7510 but my colors look a little dull. my reds seem a little faded. I added the color profile that came with it but it just does not seem to fix the problem? Can you help?

Are your colors still dull after heat pressing them onto the final object?

Mine have always looked very drab and dreary right out of the printer, but once I press them and peel away the transfer paper, they look beautiful.

If you're still having color issues, make sure you're using the right color profile (Cobra provides multiple profiles to choose from, depending on what substrate you'll be pressing on to), and if you're still not happy, then I would call Cobra and see if they have any suggestions.

well when they are printed they look just like you described but after pressed they look really light in color. the mousepads were about the only thing that came out right. Do you have any pics of how theyre coming out for you? thanks

what items are you pressing - and what are the times and temps?

Here is a mug I did a while back

post-2742-0-58914200-1369886676_thumb.jp

that looks awesome. I will post some pics tomorrow morning of the mouse pad, license plate, mug, and dog tag so you could take a look. I will also temp with the heat gun and let you guys know on the temp and timing im giving them. Thanks so much. 

I am guessing you just need to play around with the pressure and time etc.  Can make a big difference.  Sounds like the printer is fine if its doing mouse pads ok.  They are pretty forgiving unlike phone cases, mugs and plates...

post-2057-0-99556100-1369928027_thumb.jp

post-2057-0-65630200-1369928232_thumb.jp

post-2057-0-14284200-1369928469_thumb.jp