Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Greenstar Printable Banner Rolls - anyone tried them?

I'm looking to order a roll of inexpensive white banner material to mess around with - I am not looking for the best possible product - yet.  Note: I am looking for banner material to put cut vinyl on - I will NOT be printing on it.

I checked out the Zen Banner rolls and saw a disclaimer at the bottom that the grommets tend to be uneven and if that is a problem, they suggest using GreenStar banner material.  So I looked for GreenStar banner material and all they have listed is a 15 oz. blackout roll that is nearly 3x the cost of the Zen materials...  Then I did a search for "GreenStar Banner" and found a bunch of different ones in the Printable Vinyl section that are significantly cheaper (a 40 yard roll of 13 oz printable banner material is less expensive than a 25 yard roll of unbranded 10 oz banner material) but I have never laid hands on a printable banner to know if it's an apples-to-apples comparison.

How does a 13 oz printable banner compare to a 10 oz banner that says it can be used for cut vinyl and/or printing?

Can you even put cut vinyl on a printable banner (I assume you can since the 10 oz rolls say they are for both)?

Is there a top and bottom hem on the GreenStar printable material or will I need to worry about taping a hem all the way around?

This is another one of those times where the US Cutter website is lacking in any detailed information - they don't even have a picture of the material to see if it is hemmed or not...

Printable banner is normally not hemmed because of potential head strike due to the thickness of the hemmed area. As for vinyl on them I just did a 3X7 and a 2X6 banner today on printable vinyl. I haven't tried any of the banner that uscutter sells so I can't comment on it.

Jay

The hemmed and grommeted  stuff is always way higher. That's why I bought an old sewing machine and the cheap uscutter grommet machine awhile back. As for 10 oz. I won't stock it in the store. It really is for indoor and short term so instead of having to explain to each banner customer the difference I just stock 13 oz. so I feel comfortable with the product that leaves the store. If you do buy a roll of print banner consider the gloss finish as the matte tends to get fingerprints and dirt on it really easily.

Jay