jaybyrd

Ever wondered...

I am one of the only crazy people I know of who actually downsized to a 30" roland versacamm, an happy to be part time - after 27.5 yrs working in prison I am going to spend some time with the family on weekends, nights, holidays, camping,  - the things I have seldom got to do for years - if I make enough to get by that is fine with me.  On the other hand I will maintain my equipment and make sure I have enough to continue to do so..

If you don't truly enjoy doing this why go through all the trouble that comes with it? Just buy your stickers on the big auction site or wherever and let us who love what we do make them for you. Always glad to make someone a sticker after all that's how many of us pay our bills.

Jay

Didn't say I don't enjoy it - have been learing and gathering equipment all this time to do it part time - just no real desire to be full time and all things to all people - I started getting set up for screen printing - glad I sold that stuff - I will concentrate on what I can do with the sublimation, small eco sol printer and cutter - that is enough for me.

I am one of the only crazy people I know of who actually downsized to a 30" roland versacamm, an happy to be part time - after 27.5 yrs working in prison I am going to spend some time with the family on weekends, nights, holidays, camping,  - the things I have seldom got to do for years - if I make enough to get by that is fine with me.  On the other hand I will maintain my equipment and make sure I have enough to continue to do so..

What did you do to get 27.5 years in prison? ;D

Wasn't referring to you not liking it just some of the people who I see trying to do this just end up miserable and bitter by the time they're done.

Ok ok now I now your talking bout me Jay lol.

All serious now I have read lots and lots of threads heck before I bought sign vinyl I went through this forum and thought damn these people are great, smart, some funny, and encouraging. And I wanted to become a part of this forums family, however I don't know if I'm accepted by some. I asked you guys for some images and I'm greatly appreciative of the help, but also I try to give whenever I can.

I do see a lot more members who are expecting everyone else on the forum to do their research for them, or there job and its ridiculous. I don't know how many times I have seen the "what's this font question" , I have helped some people but seriously you can find out for yourself. Corel Draw has that function and I'm sure illustrator does and the Internet. intact Theresalace you can go online and the will charge you a small fee to vectorizing anything.

About the equipment too I have read about people buying screen printing equipment cause they thought it would easy, and like another member said about vinyl cutters. So many buy the stuff without researching dump thousands and then it gets to hard and they stop doing it and complains nobody helps them. The worst part I hate is when you help someone, and the don't say thank you.

Kissfanfan76 you have a good handle on what I'm saying. Help and be helped. Some people treat these forums like they're in line for welfare, just give me my check and I'll leave til next time. Overall the majority of people with more than 25 or so posts have figured this out and decided to hang around and contribute. I haven't mentioned any names in particular because many of them are already giving up and selling their x brand cutter on craigslist or whatever. The others that read this know who they are and I would hope this will help them to understand that the more you help yourself around here the more others will help you. In the mean time I still need to find that little guy peeing for my buddy and maybe retire off all those cool company logos that I can make. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Jay

What gets me is the number of people that just ask for stuff to be done for them when with a simple quick google search you can usually find exactly what they are wanting. Especially all the graphic request.

I am one of the guys that just bought this stuff with no real clue what I was doing. However I didn't get it to start a buisness, just to make decals for my motorcycle club and friends. I think the big problem with most people and computer stuff, they don't read. 95% of the time if you just read what's on the screen and use a little logic you can figure out how to do what ever it is you're trying to do. Then there's google, by the time I come to the forum to ask a question I've exhausted all obvious answers.

It's like the guys standing on the corner holding signs asking for money. You can choose, like I do most of the time, to drive on by and look the other way but every once in a while someone will look like they really NEED a hand up. I don't mind donating.

That's gonna be my new philosophy in life, hand up not hand out. Maybe it'll catch on out there in computerland.

Jay

• Like 2

I agree with Jay, you should all get out of the sign business today, just send your customers to me   :lol:

Im new to the vinyl cutting business, sort of... I worked part time for Fast Signs (20 years ago) so I already had the application and technology down (much easier now though).. but I have a very strong graphics background which translates into more stuff than most could imagine..

I would imagine most people here have some sort of graphics background....IMHO. There's nothing wrong with starting a new business on a shoe string budget, it's just better to have some sort of idea about your skill and limitations thereof. 

That does NOT mean that one should start practicing dentistry in their garage just because they have good teeth and are handy with a drill.... well,,,,unless you are REAL handy with a drill (that's different).

In today's economy, you got to stick every iron in the fire that you can and take what you can get at a price you live with. And don't be afraid to ask for cash! And don't screw up! 

Now... sorry I have to go - My 2:30am surgery patient just showed up for her addadicktomy... gotta go bye

Rdusigns, I was once one of the guys with zero experience in this field only a few years ago. What thins the herd in the end is some of us take the time and effort to try and learn about what we're doing. The ones I've been talking about usually disappear from the scene within a few months because they don't desire to learn about what they're doing.

Jay

Mine wasn't a career move. It's just a hobby. I actually did a few logos myself to get a friend to cut for me, so it seemed fairly simple. Unfortunately the few I did were easy ones that didn't need a lot of clean up. LOL 

Again I am not into signs, I have in the past made money doing graphics, again this is my 2nd time around with vinyl cutters and all that it implys, I see a market but NOT limited to WALL ART or VEHICLE graphics, I will go so far as to say I see Day Care Centers, I see Book Stores, I see businesses that "might" want/Not want graphics to enhance their business interior or possible exterior, I leave signs to those who are established and have the 8to5 working's as I work my daytime job from 6AM to when I get done so I do make a nice living but I also want the ole lady to get MY ideas going for her to generate that missing income when I call it quits in....lets see, 8mts...I QUIT, I am not doin this NO MOE, period so its why I am laying out the plow and and tilling so I know what I can plant this season and plan for the next 2-3 seasons depending on what the economy throws at us as I am certain costing with go up by 5-22% in next 2-4 yrs, shipping will increase 4-11% in next 2-4 yrs, and there is my cigarettes, they are killing me, and my pocket, so till they legalize pot I will smoke or till ole lady takes'em away from me...

Just about every person who posted in this topic actually takes pride in what they do and their willingness to learn from others, myself included. From the million dollar company to the people with the cameo's and cricket's y'all seem to get what I'm talking about.

Jay

I bought my cutter to do a few jobs for work, but now I'm using it to help open the door for doing graphic work for people. People have been coming to me wanting stickers made for their companies but when i talk to them I also talk them into letting me design logos, grapics or tshirts(and talking them out of using comic sans)  . Now most my time and money is made in the design and often times I wont even use the cutter. Of course there is always selling super simple stickers i made on ebay to make a few bucks on the side. 

I've been watching the last few days and I think the people that I was referring to when I started this rant have moved on to other ventures to make their first or in 1 case second million. Back to a group of respectful and helpful people sharing ideas. Now would someone tell me how to make my first million... please

Jay

I've been watching the last few days and I think the people that I was referring to when I started this rant have moved on to other ventures to make their first or in 1 case second million. Back to a group of respectful and helpful people sharing ideas. Now would someone tell me how to make my first million... please

Jay

There's an old saying, if you want to obtain a million dollars, just go to Israel with $2-million to invest and soon enough, you'll be down to one.

Want to loan me 2 and I'll split what's left with you :rolleyes:

Jay

That's easy, just get half a million friends to each loan you $2.

Jay

to pay over a million in taxes he had to make several million in gross ,  , , , ,

I think he'll be much better once the meds kick in. Probably not as entertaining but more stable.

Jay

Heck I quit all mine and have 1 person on here convinced I need them  :lol: 

Hilarious

Do you know if he ever made his was over to signs101? That would be too funny when they were done with him