jaybyrd

Ever wondered...

Just wondering why so many people with zero design or knowledge or vector graphics go out and buy all these machines, software, supplies, etc. and then try to figure out what the hell they're doing. Most career choices you learn how to do what you want before you line up customers and hang your shingle. Things seem a little backwards for people making graphics like let's gets paid and learn later. I'm not bashing as I am self taught but I didn't run out day 1 and start doing work for paying customers. Seemed like a good idea to at least learn the basics first. Am I the only one that feels something's just not quite right with this.

Jay

• Like 5

It just seems easy as pie.

Push a button, and there ya go.

Use your credit card and pay four hundred bucks for the cutter & vinyl, set up a work table and chair and a computer, load SignBlazerElements, and you can be a sign maker, too.

I have to admit, I've been doing this for over 18 months, and from day one, I have been satisifying clients who like my sign designs.

Everything I learned about this work I got from a tutorial DVD and YouTube.

Graphics? I don't do graphics.

I make signs with words on them that say something.

If I need some sort of visual accent, I look into the SignBlazer Library or grab an item from my MegaVault ClipArt (like today, I needed a car for an automotive dealership sign, and he loved the Lamborghini silhouette from my "Rides" CD).

This ain't rocket science.

• Like 1

When I started I actually bought sign blazer as Jerry was still alive and supporting the program. When he passed and I needed to switch computers and couldn't change licenses I bought Corel 12 and never looked back. The only thing I really missed was the oracular color palette so when I saved a design I could easily remember what colors I had used. Recently somebody posted a link to oracular* oracal color palette for Corel and my life is easy again. My real issue when reding some of the posts is who ordered the cutters for them because many couldn't find the power button on the computer by themselves. There are some extremely talented people on this forum that amaze me with what they can do, but for every 1 there are 20 who seem clueless. The best advice I could give any of them is to read the entire forum starting at the oldest post and if they still can't find the answer please post as I would love to read something new on here. Sorry for the rant.

Jay

ok Graphics ARE what I enjoy, SIGNS are not since I WONT give up 26.00 dollars an hr to try to sweet talk someone into giving me a try, spending 8-12 hrs a day spreading the word that I MAKE SIGNS, I dont bad mouth those who do make SIGNS because thats what they do BUT...It takes a certain touch to CREATE, you have to have an eye for graphics and since I dont make SIGNS I am not going to say duddley about something I dont know but I create ORIGINAL designs, I may purchase 1 piece of clip and do things to it that hasnt been seen before because I have experience behind CS3, COREL,Illustrator, AutoCad, Maya, Cross-Over Platforms, Mac/PC experienced and teacher of Mac Graphics App's,  I have been a 3D artist since 2000,, I have had my work seen at 2 COMICOM's, so when it comes to graphics that I personally crossed over to a new foundation well I take that to heart as I AM good at that....

When I started I actually bought sign blazer as Jerry was still alive and supporting the program. When he passed and I needed to switch computers and couldn't change licenses I bought Corel 12 and never looked back. The only thing I really missed was the oracular color palette so when I saved a design I could easily remember what colors I had used. Recently somebody posted a link to oracular* oracal color palette for Corel and my life is easy again. My real issue when reding some of the posts is who ordered the cutters for them because many couldn't find the power button on the computer by themselves. There are some extremely talented people on this forum that amaze me with what they can do, but for every 1 there are 20 who seem clueless. The best advice I could give any of them is to read the entire forum starting at the oldest post and if they still can't find the answer please post as I would love to read something new on here. Sorry for the rant.

Jay

And that is why there are other forums with the experienced people and not all the sales pitches . .  . . just people with a clue helping each other to suceed.

Like I was saying some great talent on here just buried by the "which end of the blade is for cutting" type of people. If you come here to learn that is awesome but if you come for someone to do it for you....

Jay

I apologize if I got a little worked up, I have been involved in art and graphics all my life,  BUT a creative sense more so than a push-this,you-get that, I take my work seriously, I dont care if I dont make a dime or not, I have a love for creating something I can look at and did it NOT the same-ole-same-ole way as many do...Being creative helps others to see a different form other than Black-n-white...

Don't misread I love that someone wants to learn something new but please read the directions at least. Show some effort and it will be greatly rewarded when help is needed. I ask for help when needed and give it when I can but some effort needs to be put forward if help is desired, not just a handout. As for some of the other forums like 101 I don't go there anymore because if you aren't a licensed fully operational professional sign shop they tend to bash you into oblivion without any intention of ever helping you. My beef is some people just don't do any of the homework about this and want it done for them instead of learning how to do it. Example is to ask for a vector of some thing without having made any real attempt on your own such as google and trace. Just show your intent and I always try to help but I don't like handouts.

Jay

I think your talking bout me always wanting something lol but I know what you mean. However I knew what I was doing due to I cut tshirt vinyl. If I can't figure it out I will come here ask for help. I always say read and do research.

What I'm trying to say I guess is hand up, not hand out

Jay

In my trade I WONT call the help desk, they talk to me like I am dumb as a stump, I do everything I can think of before I call one of the other techs, and thats asking alot for me to ask for help, I have been doin what I do for 30PLUS yrs, I hate it when I am stumped, and I have always told them I CANT FIX EVERYTHIN..Period...I have always been one to try to figure my problem regardless, I wont give up and let someone else do what I know I can do...Thats my Bible...

Oh yes.  I ALWAYS :rolleyes:   love it when their "very" first post is.......can someone vector this for me??  I need it for a job tomorrow...

I have 4 orders to get done for tomorrow...  How do I run my vinyl cutter?  How do I set the force, blade offset, what is the best speed....?

At least until, a person has mastered the basics, of vectoring, knowing their software, and how to run their vinyl cutter, (basics), they should not be taking orders.

• Like 5

Mzskeeter you forgot the part about how they already have a deposit and need it right now. I was thinking earlier that it would be great if you could make what your offering before you try and sell it.

Jay

and now the new breed = they buyz them a printer and think it is like printing to thier deskjet - no research into rip, what maint is involved, color profiles, etc.  I see a lot of people throwing away thousands of dollars on machines they won't know how to use before causing thousands in repair bills.

Now do you want to get started on the ones doing it for basically the cost of materials alone>   

Working for cost is great. I sub to them, charge retail and make all the profit without the expense. As a side note for anybody thinking of print here's a little story for you.. 2 tears ago I bought a color span display maker without a clue hat I was doing, six months later I old it for half of what I paid and was glad to free up the floor space in my shop. Think before you leap.

Jay

and now the new breed = they buyz them a printer and think it is like printing to thier deskjet - no research into rip, what maint is involved, color profiles, etc.  I see a lot of people throwing away thousands of dollars on machines they won't know how to use before causing thousands in repair bills.

I like the "Hey, I've got $9.00 for a budget and I want to print full color stickers that are suitable for outdoor use and that I can put on a boat, what are my options?"  and when someone like Dakota tries to explain (for what must surely be the 900th time)  that they need to add about three more zeroes onto their budget they act like he's the crazy one...

• Like 1

Again I read what yall post and listen to experience more so than one might realize..You guys are the Einstein's of a lucrative art/trade

I am more like the ebstein of the sign world - just made a lot of mistakes and hope to pass a little of what I learned around - I have a lot to learn and not sure I will live long enough to learn 1/2 of what I really need to know - reading is a big help and people that have been there are extremely helpful to me

• Like 1

Well fella, I am rollin 60 in 8mts and I have struggled 30plus yrs in 1 field, this is my 2nd time around except I am more self taught than I would have given myself credit, I may have asked 4 questions and the rest has been reedin and listening, and of course lots of trial and error and lots of wasted vinyl but we be good now...

Funny how the people I'm ranting about haven't chimed in to tell me I'm just a meany. Must be too busy trying to score the new Calvin to sell this weekend. I think I made just need therapy, it can't be as bad as I think.

Jay

Well fella, I am rollin 60 in 8mts and I have struggled 30plus yrs in 1 field, this is my 2nd time around except I am more self taught than I would have given myself credit, I may have asked 4 questions and the rest has been reedin and listening, and of course lots of trial and error and lots of wasted vinyl but we be good now...

that is because you try to learn and want to learn - wish there were more like you

You guys remind me of my dad...Well its been good, gonna crash, gotta get up 6AM and do it again...Yall have a good one...