srowe78

Opinions on Sure Cuts A Lot

My use of software is pretty limited to sign blazer elements and I am totally disgusted with that program right now.  I had been using draw plus 6x to design, saving the design as a bitmap then importing to sign blazer to cut.  This worked perfectly until today when sign blazer just stops responding any time I try to import any image.  I'm not quite ready to go to sure cuts a lot pro because vinyl cutting is a hobby for me not a business but am interested in sure cuts a lot 3.  Can you import bitmap images into sure cuts a lot?  It the software user friendly, especially for someone like me who is just a hobbyist (IDK if that's a real word sorry).  I don't want something that is going to take me ages to learn to use, but definitely am looking for something other than sign blazer.  Could anyone give me their opinion of this please?

Thanks!!!

It is a nice basic design/cut software . Very inexpensive & the cost between the 2 makes it a no brainer to buy the pro version ( SCALPro on e-bay from USC for $99 ) . There is much to read about how people feel about it already posted . With questions like this , imo the people who don't like it will spend more effort than those who like it . It does not have as many features as SignBlazer Elements . It does have some features I like better than SB . My main like is the weed line option . That is not in SCAL 3 & the work space is very small in 3 . InkScape is a free design software as told to you in the other thread . You should have something more than SB since it has been non-supported for around 5 years now , especially if doing jobs for others . No matter what software, coming from using any software , there is a name learning problem . what 1 software calls a function , seems they refuse to call it that in any other software .. maybe a copyright issue being avoided , but that is the biggest pain imo . I think SB is the easiest to learn. cming from SB it is not hard to adapt to SCALPro .

I just got Sure Cuts A Lot Pro yesterday and only did print and cut on a piece of paper and it worked so much better for print and cut than the sihouette cameo program. I didn't design in it due to I have Corel draw, I just export my designs to svg,png or what not opened it in scalp and learned as I went. So far not regretting buying it for $99 on eBay from USCUTTER.

I also don't use it for design, just the trace and the cut functions. I tried to design in it and really didn't care for it since I already use corel draw

Jay

I looked up drawplus 6x and see it is a vector program, so i have to ask why you are using bitmap to move your image into your cutting software - save it as some type of vector format like .eps   A vector image is drawn using mathimatical points - making it resizable without distortions - a bitmap is a raster image format that uses pixels that distort terribly when upsized and by having to revector it to cut some detail will be  lost

• Like 1

I much prefer  Sign Blazer for many many functions but SCALP does work well for a lot of things as well.  I originally purchased SCALP a couple of days after it was released for $50 so I had some high hopes especially since Sign Blazer was free.  

After I got the software I started a thread here-In the thread I set a benchmark to achieve with SCALP.  Unfortunately I was not and have not been able to complete the benchmark project in SCALP. 

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/38244-my-initial-assesment-and-continuing-help-thread/

In the meantime I have learned how to use the newer versions of SCALP and can function without Sign Blazer.  But I have to rely heavily on InkScape for everything except for basic designs.  SCALP seems to cut much cleaner than Sign Blazer did so that is a huge plus for SCALP in my book even if I do not really use it for design.

In conclusion it is good to have many different pieces of software to help you do whatever project you are doing.  For $50 SCALP was a good buy and I'm glad I have it.

-Scott

I'll say this......................

you get what you pay for. Mine is shutting down every time I try a certain function. It started with text on path, now it's doing it every time I try to arc a line. 

And why does it type backward and upside down on a path? 

Another thing I don't like is I can't open a second project to the workspace without it deleting the previous. It's nice to be able to open several projects without coping and pasting projects to one page. 

I've been using it about a month, so I'm sure I'll figure some things out. 

I can handle the last two complaints, but the shutting down will cause me to chunk it.  LOL

If text goes the wrong way round try using the reverse path command (right click and look under path in the popup)  Wrapping text is a little cumbersome in SCAL3Pro.

I agree it would be nice to be able to open multiple projects and switch between them - only thing I can suggest is that you CAN import additional shapes into your project and add/move between pages and/or layers - so it gives some capability to have multiple shapes inside a single project.

Not sure why you are having crash issues - contact craftedge for advice is the first thing I would try.

There are some another programs you might want to look at in addition to SCAL3Pro.  Both of them offer free demo versions - check them out.

MTC!(http://www.make-the-cut.com/) is one of them - in a lot of way I prefer it to SCAL although it does not support as many of USCutters machines as SCAL3Pro.  It sells for less than $60 ($58.36)  and is much easier to design and layout in (once you learn a bit about it) not a steep learning curve - but it's approach to doing things is sometimes different than what I was used to In SBE or VinylMaster (both of which I still use as well) - 

VinylMaster 4.0 is out now and the basic level is a lot more powerful than SCAL - and it's on eBay for less than $100 ($98.66 or best offer)  There are 2 more powerful versions for more money - if you are a serious user I would recommend one of them.  

Here is a link to a current auction for the basic level - the listing has movies and links to the demo and .pdf brochure and feature list/comparison of the 4 versions available (one version is just a basic cutting program - Ltr is the second tier - and Pro and Xpt are the better and top of the line versions)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Office-Hobby-Sign-Software-Vinyl-Cutters-and-Plotters-VinylMaster-Ltr-V4-0-/161006536107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257cbcc5ab

-Mike

Like many here I design elsewhere. (Illustrator) I just SCALP Pro it for a cutting utlility. As such it has come a long way from where it started when I purchased my $50 early bird special. I used to use SignCut Pro but paid a yearly $98 subscription. (could have bought the dongle for about $300 but never did because my cutting computer has no more available usb ports. I made the leap this year and started cutting just with SCALP Pro to make myself learn the nuances (which I also had to do with SignCut). Now thanks to a little practice (practice with a pen attachment and some butcher paper, its cheaper) and many upgrades it's getting close to being a complete package as far as cutting is concerned. There are a few quirks but mostly I have not had much to complain about. I just wanted something to OWN rather than rent and be able to have available for when I park my current cutter in the corner as a spare. Other than SignCut I have never tried any of the other cutting programs so I am not able to comment on other options. I HAVE played around with the design options on SCALP Pro and found them similar to Inkscape but missing some features. One thing I like better in SCALP vs SignCut is that ofter importing from Illustrator if I have to change something or add something on the fly its not impossible to open up the file and move things around or add/modify something before the cut. SignCut was strictly a cutting utility that had no options to change the design other than some seriously lacking text options. It DID have some cool cutting options that SCALP doesn't yet have, but the Craft Edge design team has said they are coming in the not so distant future. For basic cutting operations and even mild design work it works just fine. Perfect for the occasional home user and in my case a weekend and evening warrior.

I personally give SCALP Pro the thumbs up! As much for the support/design team over at Craft Edge as for the actual program. They have REALLY made some nice changes at the behest of a bunch of our user requests. How often can you make a suggestion to a sofware company and have then do as you ask?

If text goes the wrong way round try using the reverse path command (right click and look under path in the popup)  Wrapping text is a little cumbersome in SCAL3Pro.

I agree it would be nice to be able to open multiple projects and switch between them - only thing I can suggest is that you CAN import additional shapes into your project and add/move between pages and/or layers - so it gives some capability to have multiple shapes inside a single project.

Not sure why you are having crash issues - contact craftedge for advice is the first thing I would try.

There are some another programs you might want to look at in addition to SCAL3Pro.  Both of them offer free demo versions - check them out.

MTC!(http://www.make-the-cut.com/) is one of them - in a lot of way I prefer it to SCAL although it does not support as many of USCutters machines as SCAL3Pro.  It sells for less than $60 ($58.36)  and is much easier to design and layout in (once you learn a bit about it) not a steep learning curve - but it's approach to doing things is sometimes different than what I was used to In SBE or VinylMaster (both of which I still use as well) - 

VinylMaster 4.0 is out now and the basic level is a lot more powerful than SCAL - and it's on eBay for less than $100 ($98.66 or best offer)  There are 2 more powerful versions for more money - if you are a serious user I would recommend one of them.  

Here is a link to a current auction for the basic level - the listing has movies and links to the demo and .pdf brochure and feature list/comparison of the 4 versions available (one version is just a basic cutting program - Ltr is the second tier - and Pro and Xpt are the better and top of the line versions)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Office-Hobby-Sign-Software-Vinyl-Cutters-and-Plotters-VinylMaster-Ltr-V4-0-/161006536107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257cbcc5ab

-Mike

Yeah, I downloaded the trial version of AI CS6 but can't find where to register it. When I click the buy button it takes me to the educational page on the site. LOL I don't qualify as a student or teacher. 

About the projects, I don't want to switch between them, I want to stick several on the workspace to save cutting time and vinyl.

Just use import to add as amany files as you wish to the mat - you can then arrange them and cut them any way you want to.

If they are things you do over and over. you can make a custom library and add them to the mat by clicking on the thumbnail in the shapes library window.

You have to use a free program to create the custom shape library.

• Like 1

I am learning SCALP but don't have alot of time to play around with it,  I hope I will be able to get it to work for me.  I have been using SB since my first cut many years ago,  I had no knowledge at all of what I was doing and remembering it being SO easy!  I thought there was talk of someone buying the SB program and getting updates for it.  I would pay what I am paying for these other programs just to continue using my SB without the count down everytime I turn it on and even more for updates :rolleyes:

Can I get some feed back about the Make-the-cut and SCALP?  What one is easier to learn?

Thanks everyone for all your feedback!

Mary Ann

I've been using SB since my first cut many years ago,  I had no knowledge at all of what I was doing and remembering it being SO easy! 

I would pay what I am paying for these other programs just to continue using my SB without the count down everytime I turn it on and even more for updates  :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for all your feedback!

Mary Ann

Private message sent.

There's a patch that eliminates the 'nag' screens.

• Like 1

Just use import to add as amany files as you wish to the mat - you can then arrange them and cut them any way you want to.

If they are things you do over and over. you can make a custom library and add them to the mat by clicking on the thumbnail in the shapes library window.

You have to use a free program to create the custom shape library.

I'm not using SCAL2. In Pro, you import your first project, then import another and it opens it on a new page. I can then copy and paste it to the original page but that is annoying. I want it to load on the existing page.

Eazy,

I am talking about SCAL3Pro -- I never used SCAL until the pro version.  

Are you saying each imported file makes a new page?  Across the top just above the design area (mat) are tabs showing the page(s) in the project.  Do you have a tab for Page 2 after importing the second image?  If not then what you are calling pages are acutually layers -- I know each new shape is placed on a new LAYER all on the same page1 mat in my program  If that is the case in yours there no need to move anything to make them all cut at once.  If they are shown (eye open) they will cut.  If you want to not cut certain ones - just hide (close eye) and they will be ignored.  Make sense?

Eazy,

I am talking about SCAL3Pro -- I never used SCAL until the pro version.  

Are you saying each imported file makes a new page?  Across the top just above the design area (mat) are tabs showing the page(s) in the project.  Do you have a tab for Page 2 after importing the second image?  If not then what you are calling pages are acutually layers -- I know each new shape is placed on a new LAYER all on the same page1 mat in my program  If that is the case in yours there no need to move anything to make them all cut at once.  If they are shown (eye open) they will cut.  If you want to not cut certain ones - just hide (close eye) and they will be ignored.  Make sense?

I have a project open that is ready to cut. I want to add another image to cut so I take advantage of the full width of my vinyl. I click any of the options for an additional image an a box pops up " would you like to save before..............". When I click my 2nd file top open it, it goes to page two at the top of the mat.

post-37957-0-81483300-1366154867_thumb.p

post-37957-0-92535200-1366154877_thumb.p

I'm Corel X5 to SignCutPro 1.95, add a few weedlines, and done. Lately, even walk away and forget I'm cutting; on return, it's flawless. (on an SC25)

But I've been doing this for several decades, so know exactly what I want.

Sure Cuts A Lot interface didn't impress me, and why cut diagonal line thru 24" of good vinyl to test its weird interface in the free trial?

You get what you pay for, only after serious research.

NOW! I see what you are doing.  Opening .scut2/.scut3 files (or "importing" them for that matter will place them on separate pages - as you see (and don't want)

What I was saying was to "Import" as many shapes as you wish.  To do this you need to save the files you want to work with in this way as .svg files.  Then use the import to "load" them to the page you are working on and move/size/edit them to make economical use of your vinyl.

OR you can make custom libraries like in the video I posted (don't be thrown by the utility being named lib it up 2 - it works for SCAL3Pro too)  Then you can add them by clicking on thumbnail image in library.

-Mike

Question for Slice & Dice...  Would be ever so kind and send me the link for the SignBlazer Element software to download with the patch  that eliminates the 'nag' screens ?    Also   what all types of files can you cut from the SignBlazer Element software ( for example svg, eps, ) ?  Thanks in Advance  Judy

In SCALP3 the library files have the extension "scal". The tutorial for Lib It Up, however, shows the extension as "lcut2". I've tried both extensions and neither works.

Is there a correct tutorial that shows how to add shapes to the shapes library?

• Like 1

I just made some extra circle patterns and attempted to install them into the same library folder.  It wouldn't let me, saying I didn't have permission and would have to contact the administrator.

In SCALP3 the library files have the extension "scal". The tutorial for Lib It Up, however, shows the extension as "lcut2". I've tried both extensions and neither works.

Is there a correct tutorial that shows how to add shapes to the shapes library?

I figured it out.  Since it seems you can't add to the included shapes folder, you need to bring in or create the shapes you want to add onto your mat.  Once you do, go to file, then export.  Then it will ask where you'd like to export it to.  I saved it in Craft Edge/My designs folder.  That way when you go to add the shape, it's simply below the existing shapes folder.  Let me know if you get it figured out or need any more assistance. 

Okay, I understand now. Notice that while in the Library window and under Shapes, if you highlight the "My Designs" folder then the add folder, add file, and refresh buttons become active. You can add your custom shapes in this way.

This is much easier than going through the Lib It Up program. There's no need for that program at all. Someone should add this to the documentation.