Sign in to follow this  
knockonwood

boat vinyl question

I would like to make my own number decals for my boat. I read on the forms that oracal 751 was best to use on boats. I ordered it and it came in today. I started to cut it out and it worked just fine. The only thing is is not very sticky and it tears easily. I was applying it to my boat with my squeegee and I accidentally messed it up. Is there a vinyl that is more sticky and will not tare as easily.

oracal 651 is slightly thicker and seems more aggressive. I use it for registration #'s on boats all the time and never had any problems yet. Doesn't last as long as the cast 751 but I've never had to replace a set due to age, at least not yet.

Jay

• Like 1

Rarely but I think that comes with experience. The more installs you do the less you need it. I tend to be impatient waiting for it to dry when I could be on to something else. When I started everything was done wet, now maybe 10% of my installs are wet at the most.

Jay

Also if doing layered colors I use wet on the layers to aid in alignment. 

Jay

Thanks jay I have one more question for you jay. I like the gloss of the 751 is all the 631 flat. The reason I am asking because I got the 6 Color bundle rolls when I bought my machine. It looks very good on the wall but I don't think it would look very good on my boat

631 is interior wall art vinyl. 651 is exterior gloss vinyl, just not the quality or price of 751. DO NOT USE 631!!! It'll never last a week, 651 is what you're looking for.

Jay

Thanks jay I need to write this down. I am getting confused about the numbers and Different ORACAL products. I think my next purchase from US cutters will be a ORACAL Color Guide

Thanks jay I need to write this down. I am getting confused about the numbers and Different ORACAL products. I think my next purchase from US cutters will be a ORACAL Color Guide

Very good investment if your not real familiar with all their products etc.  When I started I tried to cut corners and not get it.... I finally broke down and bought it.  It comes in handy as a reference, color comparison and great for helping customers with color choices.  

If you've got an Android smartphone or iPhone, Oracal has a free app that gives you all the information about their different vinyls.  The iOS version has color matching features (or so I've heard) and the Android one is mostly just text based information, but it's very convenient to use.

Here's a link to the Android version - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oracal.usa&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5vcmFjYWwudXNhIl0.

And the iOS version - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oracal-usa/id433086651

If you buy the chart there are pages that tell you the life expectancy and finish as well as other details about all their products. Not to mention being able to see a swatch of each product for color comparison.

Jay

If you've got an Android smartphone or iPhone, Oracal has a free app that gives you all the information about their different vinyls.  The iOS version has color matching features (or so I've heard) and the Android one is mostly just text based information, but it's very convenient to use.

Here's a link to the Android version - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oracal.usa&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5vcmFjYWwudXNhIl0.

And the iOS version - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oracal-usa/id433086651

I've got the iPhone version and it works great.  Only thing is it's a little slow. 

To get totally technical, both 651 and 751 have the same adhesive, "Solvent polyacrylate, permanent". There's absolutely no difference in the lifetime of their staying attached.

The difference is in how these same vinyls are processed; In essence, 751 is processed slower, so is more stable, and strangely thinner, because it's "cast", or has full time to form along the conveyor belt before it "sets". 651 is run through faster, and while controlled, it comes out .5 mil thicker.

My rule: Use 751 on ALL vehicles. Use 751 on Major Facing signs of their business. Use both for easily replaceble signs.

Take care and good luck in life,

Mark

I have removed 651 from vehicles after 2 years w/o problems except slight ghosting from uneven paint fade. I can't say about the same adhesive but for an experiment try letting the adhesive touch back on itself. To me the 651 feels more aggressive and harder to separate. 751 is a higher quality cast vinyl but not always necessary as some would believe. I rarely used cast on sign faces because when faced with the increased price versus life expectancy most businesses I deal with would rather save that extra money for other things. And really in this day and age most businesses change the look of their signs every few years to keep them fresh and up to date with trends.

Jay

If your having problems with 751 I would look at your application process. 751 and 651 are night and day different. I love the days I get to work with my 751 stock. It weeds and applies so easy. I will agree 751 is overkill for boat numbers but it can be done. I use 651 for all my numbers. 

Watch some youtube videos and then watch some more and then practice on some vinyl and then watch some more videos and practice some more. Youll get the hang of it. Oh and read this forum every second you get.  ;D 

Practice is definitely the answer but practicing with 751 can get expensive fast.

Jay

Thanks guys I will post a picture of my boat later this week. The 751 was harder to use then the 631 I used for my wall I went on the fiberglass ok. If you look up close you can see little bubbles I could not get out but if you look at it a few feet away it looks really good. I will try the 651 next time. 

p.s. how do you put pictures on here? 

Next to post click on more reply options.

Jay