Sign in to follow this  
DavidHamp

60%nylon 40%poly heat pressing ?

tried to do a look up on this on google really didnt find anything i was looking for. A babershop wants me to do there smocks that go over there shirts. and there a 60/40 blend and not sure if these can be pressed or not i dont wanna melt  there stuff and kinda hard to perform a test press on any area of it.without ruining the smock.

I have never had a heat related problem with poly or poly/cotton blends. Poly can handle 400' in a press as that's around the temp I sublimate at without issue. I also use this temp on JPSS for mixed shirts and aprons, haven't melted 1 yet. This being said I assume no responsibility for your outcome, just telling you how we do it here. If using heat transfer vinyl temp is even lower and never had any problems.

Jay

Yea i will try to test press a corner on the bottom at heat to see. I have done a poly/lycra blend with no issues but its the nylon that has me concerned. As that I'm new to the pressing side of this I just didnt know if theres things that cant be pressed cause of the heat.

I was assuming poly/cotton blend. With the nylon are you using siser heat transfer or ? If Siser easyweed extra is recommended when dealing with nylon.

Jay

I've pressed on Nylon with Siser Easyweed Extra. Heat is not the problem, but you have to be careful with the pressure though, so light pressure is all you need.

Ran it with Medium pressure with a pillow inside the smock used normal siser easyweed with a teflon coversheet at 320 degrees for 20seconds and all came out very nice. Very good mating between the vinyl and the material with out damage to the poly/nylon material. Its a non-stretch smock so i wasnt worried bout using normal easyweed. The smock is for a barbershop so its this material just so the hair doest stick to it. I will post a pic here in a bit.

Thank you for your help and advice :)

Glad it worked out. The easyweed extra I referred to is not the stretch, it is made for hard to adhere materials such as nylon and leather. Never used it myself, regular easyweed has always been good to me.

Jay