Sign in to follow this  
sleeveofwizzard

JPSS and 3G Opaque HELP!!!

Hey guys, 

I haven't spent much time playing with my print transfer materials I bought awhile back because I really haven't had much luck when trying. For the dark shirts, I have done a couple of the opaque transfers. The color is great but the edges around the image are white and look bad. I tried to trim as close as possible to the image I printed (by hand) but there was still white after I transfered it. 

For the JPSS I realized it is really only good for white shirts because the color of the shirt will show through the image but I have a similar problem with it as well. I did a shirt with sisser easy weed text and a small portrait of patrick swayze next to it. I removed the background from the image but there is still some sharp edges at the bottom where his shirt was. it just doesn't look right to me. is there a way to feather the edges or soften it?

post-12577-0-57620100-1365579118_thumb.j

I have only tried it on black, but I just made the background black before the contour cut. Not sure how well you would be able to match the green or if that would help with your problem.

I see, I have only tried the dark stuff twice because I am kinda at a loss as to how to get it to look decent. All the JPSS shirts I have done look homemade as well. I'll give the background color match a try but I don't know if I will have much luck doing that on a heather color.

On the heather google athletic gray images. Use this for background fill. I never liked the look but some on my customers thought it was fine.

Jay

I had to do this on Gildan polos and the customer loved them. I think  the only way I would have been totally happy would of required dtg printing and I can't afford that yet.

Jay

Any tips for me on the bottom and sides of the Patrick Swayze picture on my shirt? I really don't like the straight edges. I think the edges around the hair came out good but I don't know what to do about the other areas.

What kind of program are you working in?

Jay

I don't see a ton of good options because of the photo shape, maybe just soften the edge with a blur/smudge type tool and knock down that sharp corner at the bottom. I'm not even close to being that good with photo editing and have been learning as I go for the last several months.

Jay

I hear ya. I feel very limited as to what I can use the jpss and opaque transfers for. I did a white shirt a while back with a picture that had a white background and it came out great! The picture was a drawing of a boy standing next to a tree. I adjusted the color so that everything was softer and a lot of the little detail disappeared. Softened the edges and perfecto! With old Patrick Swayze here, his arms and chest are dark colors and I didn't do anything to them.

I have people bring in photos all the time that look like they've been through a war and want to know what I can do with them. I'll spend an few minutes on them but like I tell them I don't specialize in photo restoration. Do your best and cross your fingers, that seems to work for me.

Jay

Ted, I'm not a Photoshop master, I'm barely an apprentice... but here is what I would do to lose that hard edge.

Open your image that you want to use.  In my example it's a fine Iowa pork tenderloin sandwich...

post-24492-0-66135100-1366222719_thumb.j

Use one of the selection tools to select the area that you want to use in your design

post-24492-0-25949700-1366222722_thumb.j

Click the "Refine Edge..." button in the toolbar at the top

post-24492-0-36375300-1366222725_thumb.j

Use the Feather slider to soften your edges as much as you want, and use the Contract/Expand slider to reduce or enlarge your selection to keep the important parts in focus

post-24492-0-24234100-1366222728_thumb.j

When you've got it where you want it, click OK and you'll go back to your original image - it will look like it didn't have much effect...

post-24492-0-72031700-1366222730_thumb.j

But if you now copy the selection and paste it into a new image, you'll see that you've now got that nice feathered edge that eliminates the hard edges from your original design.

• Like 1

that works great for the jpss but with the 3g opaque you will still end up with a hard white edge as the material used has a hard edge - you would have to do it with a dtg I think for darks

Great now I'm hungry...

Jay

Noe's Bar and Grill on Madion Ave. in Ottumwa, IA - right across the street from the John Deere factory.  Tenderloins as big as your head for only $4.75 - you won't need a side dish.  The paper plate under the sandwich is a standard size dinner plate - not a saucer.  I'm a big boy (although not as big as I was - I've lost 31 lbs so far this year) and I could barely eat one of these sandwiches - my dogs always ended up getting at least 1/4 to 1/3 of it.

• Like 1