Sign in to follow this  
ladymare

Racing Stripes

Hey everyone, 

I've never done any wrapping or anything before and I've researched this out for a few days now. I have a buddy who wants to put two red racing stripes on his mustang. He was quoted in the thousands of dollars by a company to do it. Then he found a place online to sell him a DIY kit. Even that kit was astronomical. I know I can just order him in some cast vinyl, but which is going to be best for these stripes? 951? I'm a fan of Oracal so I've only stuck to what I know there. Does anyone else have experience with 3M or FDC cast? 

Any input here would be great. Thanks!

I wouldn't use less that 751 for anything that goes on paint. The difference between 751and 951 is mostly the ability to conform around contours. Depending on the hood, you may need 951. Both have about the same outdoor life rating.

• Like 1

I wouldn't use less that 751 for anything that goes on paint. The difference between 751and 951 is mostly the ability to conform around contours. Depending on the hood, you may need 951. Both have about the same outdoor life rating.

Oracal 751 is rated at 7 years and Oracal 951 is rated 10-12 years.

I would say 751 or better (951) you're in  Southern California where it gets hot.  Calendered vinyl will shrink and leave glue residue on the hood, roof and trunk lid that will turn black with dirt. 

Thanks everyone! 951 ordered. Yup, we are stationed here in SoCal. Ya'll are a great resource to have! :)

The guys with more experience can chime in here but I was unsuccessful in my attempt on my friends mustang. I believe it was mostly due to the weather when I tried to apply the stirpes. I told him to come by around 8:00 am but of course he came much later in the day when it was hot. I gave it a try but the app fluid dried in seconds and the vinyl kept sticking before it was properly placed. Just keep that in mind since it's warming up.

If you are installing wet, keep a hosepipe going over the car while you work.