Sign in to follow this  
PBR Allstar

transfer tape residue

Having a bit of an issue with Transfer tape being overly sticky, tearing, and leaving lots of residue on my vinyl.

I've used the green star layflat clear and it worked well at first, but then as it sat a while it started doing it.  Then I got a roll of RTape medium and I've had the problem since it was new.  I notice if I heat it a little with the gun is leaves less residue (I'm in California, so it's not exactally cold to start with).

I'm wondering if it's how I'm storing it (in my office, thermostat is usally about 70 degrees)?  or does this stuff have a short shelf life?

Any pointers would be great, I've messed around with vinyl off and on for years and never really had this problem to this extent before.

i used the medium also and it done the same temperature was to keep it comfortable in the room 65-70 but i switched to the high tack and i dont have a problem with it now.

I've had that problem with G Star layflat clear also. Particularly in areas where I've put a lot of pressure with the squeege. Have NOT had any similar problems with the R-tape though, although the only clear R-tape I have is medium tack. G Star is definitely more fun to work with when warmed up. I am pickier about where I use my G Star at now and am trying to use it up after which I don't plan on using it again.  

I'm having it on my mirrors that I'm doing  Haven't noticed if it's in higher pressure areas, that's something I'll look for. I have to clean for ten minutes and don't always get it all. I'm using clear low rack and medium tack r tape. I'm worried high tack will peel away some of the high detailed areas of vinyl. 

I've found contact paper from any department store works well for what I do, just definitely not as easy to work with.

Thanks for the replies,  I might be a little heavy on the squegee, maybe I should pick up a felt squegee?

I'm using the RTape clear, medium tack and I'd like something a little less sticky to be honest.  I do a lot of plastic go kart bodies which have a semi smooth finish, and you have to kill it with the squegee to get them to stick, but that's like a catch 22, works the vinyl even harder into the transfer tape.

Any opinions on a low tack tape?