darcshadow

Break up object through node editing?

Can you break up an object through node editing only? For example, and this is a very very simple example.

Say you have a long rectangle and you want to cut it in half and turn it into two squares with a gap between them. So far the best method I've found for doing this is drawing another rectangle that intercets with the one I want to modify and use the Difference path tool to cut the rectangle and then I can move nodes around of the two individual shapes to get the desired affect.

Is there a better way? If the question isn't clear I can try and put together some sample images of what I'm doing to clarify, I just don't have access to inkscape right now.

• Like 1

Thanks, I knew I should be able to do it some how. I think the problem I was running into was I was trying to do it with a fill already. Much easier to see what you're doing when you remove the fill and just make it a line.

You can do it with fill but it is more confusing. It doesnt break up the fill. You can do it you just have to keep that in mind and not get confused. If you want to do it with the fill and not lose to many hairs just switch the view to outline before you break it up. 

Yeah, that's what was getting me. I'd hit the delete segment option and nothing appeared to change, the fill was hiding what was happening.