LLaurence

My first vector. How do I...

This is the first vector I have done of a real picture. My question is how do I add more detail to the left eye? Is that possible?

The before and after is attached.

post-34215-0-06607700-1365443979_thumb.j

post-34215-0-81786100-1365444246_thumb.p

If you're skilled with a raster art program like Photoshop (I am definitely NOT!) then you can use Burn/Dodge tools to selectively alter the brightness and contrast in an area without much detail prior to vectorizing. 

I have Corel and I do some of my touch ups like that in Corel photo paint.  (came with the corel package I got)

The other option is to node edit the vectored image to get the detail you want. Just a question of which tool you like to use. I like to do a combo of both. Get the image as close as I can to what I want in photoshop then convert it to a vector and clean it up a little more.

If you're skilled with a raster art program like Photoshop (I am definitely NOT!) then you can use Burn/Dodge tools to selectively alter the brightness and contrast in an area without much detail prior to vectorizing. 

So I should brighten and contrast just that eye.?

So I should brighten and contrast just that eye.?

If that is the only part that is giving you errors, then yes.

I like to adjust the whole image in Paint Shop Pro and get as much contrast as possible in the image.  I've tried tweaking smaller spots with those tools and I usually end up making it worse than it was before I started...  I use the Convert to 2-bit Color Depth feature and then Undo to go back so I can get some idea of what the vector will look like, and keep tweaking it until it looks good.

I guess we could all do it different. I personally would node edit the hell out of it. It might take more time but that is what i'm most comfortable doing and I can do it quick. If I had more experience in photoshop I'd go that route. 

That actually doesn't need a lot of work now that I really look at it. I would first straighten out the nose, and make eyes. It might not look exactly like the picture but only we will know that. Then I would connect the area on the left of his neck and the ears. And then make some paws for him. If you want add some more detail to his coat and you're done. Just open the picture in whatever program you're going to do your node editing in and compare the two as you edit. 

What I do often in instances such as these I split objects, delete by node editing the left eye completely, then combine all detail on right eye, duplicate mirror image move to left side of face. Reselect all and recombine all objects. Once done you can not tell they have the same details. (You can use on all symetrical objects) Really fast once you get the hang of it. Good luck. Nice work so far though, great first time effort. You must be a fast learner.

• Like 1