gcextreme

Application Tape Help

Ok so i have the Clear R tape app tape and the regular non-clear app tape....applying the tape is easy....and then running the squeegee over it...easy done...but when i go to remove the vinyl backing, my small pieces of vinyl are not sticking to the app tape, they dont want to come off the backing. so i put it back and keep running the squeegee over it, again and again.....then attempt to do it again....same result...its a pain... am i doing something wrong? is there a prep time that i must leave the app tape on for???

after a while of struggling with it, i eventually get the backing off and go to apply the decal to my presentation board i am making for my booth. I apply the decal, run the squeegee over it nice and smooth a few times, then a bit firmer.....and sometimes the app tape will come off and everything is great, other times, well now theres sections sticking to the app tape and they dont want to stick to the board....

What kind of vinyl are you using?  Glossy or matte?

Oracal 631 (which is matte) requires a different app tape, Oracal HT55 because regular tape won't stick well enough to peel it off it's backing paper.

If that's not it, try flipping your completed decal over and peeling the backing off the app tape instead of the other way around - that can also help cut down on small bubbles caused by temporarily stretching the vinyl.

its the 651 oracal, glossy stuff....

no matter what i do, the clear tape or the nonclear, some of the small pieces just will not stick to the app tape....

Most clear tape is medium tack. Paper tape is high tack in most cases. I use to love the clear, but since switching to conform, I no longer use clear.

I had same problem with r-tape clear and returned it to my supplier and they told me they had a bad batch from r-tape

they replaced it with conform tape

This happened about 3 months ago but talked again yesterday about the problem

Teez

I know this is a silly question - are you weeding before applying the application tape?

yes of course...its just that there are very small parts that need to stay and they arent staying....

I had same problem with r-tape clear and returned it to my supplier and they told me they had a bad batch from r-tape

they replaced it with conform tape

This happened about 3 months ago but talked again yesterday about the problem

Teez

hmm i hope i dont have a bad batch

i use r tape the paper style with oracal 651 no problem so far but havent really used it on anything super small

i have the same problem with the oracle 651. I just stoped using it for any decals with small detail. the greenstar seems to work much better for that.

i have the same problem with the oracle 651. I just stoped using it for any decals with small detail. the greenstar seems to work much better for that.

:blink:

• Like 1

Wondering if its because the vinyl isn't fresh? Never had any issues with Oracal 651

Ive got a couple rolls of the AT60.  I won't use it for anything except layering things for my own use that have large areas of vinyl.  AT75 is much better,  i got the high tack stuff my my 651 layering jobs. 

At this point,  all Im really comfortable using AT60 for is taping the end of the rolls to keep them from unraveling. :wacko:

I was having that problem for a while as well until I realized I was cutting too far into the backing, is your knife depth and cutting pressure good?

I am having problems also, using r-tape AT60 with Matte White FDC 4200 series it will not pick it up, but I had some of the same tape that was 2 years old and it picked it up. I am wondering if it is the FDC? The tape will pick up avery, oracal, etc. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Mike

I use both. Clear and paper both have their up sides and down sides.

Up side to clear- Clear is very professional looking for business owners.

Down side to clear- Most people complain that clear tape is a pain when applying the decal to a window. I've had multiple upon multiple complaints on this.

Up side to paper t-tape- Works very well on any type of surface whether it be drywall or a glass window.

Down side to paper t-tape- The paper tape makes it hard to see the decal and seems to roll up on the edges very easily. It also looks very unprofessional.

My conclusion- Again, they both have their up sides and down sides but i believe that if you are applying the decal in the correct temperature it should work just tine no matter what.