Sign in to follow this  
jdubbya

When to start counting time for mugs

Say you need to press a mug at 400 degrees for 300 seconds, is that from the time you clamp it down, or from the time it gets back up to 400 degrees? My press drops the temp to 300-350 when the mug is clamped, and slowly heats back to 400.

Same question for mouse pads. My colors are very washed out and blacks arent that great. Using a ricoh 3110 with sublijet r, qc transfer paper. I have the sawgrass drivers and its set to normal colors.

too little time or too much time will cause the washed out look - with cactus wraps it is from the time you put them in the oven - if I remember correctly the knight press compensated for  the drop.  try adding 30 seconds and see what it does - you can use a mug you already sublimated on.  also try Texptrint-R - it is made for your gell inks unlike regular paper that takes longer to dry and release isn's as consistant - if you are using a chinese press you will really have to experiment with times as the heating elements are not as robust.

Thanks for the quick reply. How about pre heating the mug? Or would that cause blurring as you are moving a picture around a hot mug?

if the ink gets to around 380 before pressing it will start to gas - so not sure on the pre heating - that is the problem with a press the mug is a big heat sink - the bottom and handle are the worse and causes cool areas

Scott actually they dont recommend tex print for mugs, one of the few things,   I would try QR or Image Right paper.   Scott is on the money with the time.  I would not pre heat them I think you may pick up some unwanted marks that way.

Just play with the pressure and times and you should get it...

I think I would add another minute to your time with pretty firm pressure...

As far as mouse pads are they for sublimation say from Conde if not they will give a faded look

My press is the same way it preheats to a certain degree, put the mug in and it climbs up too 400 roughly but I don't get faint images. Are you laying down enough ink? Are you using the settings of best to photo? Using the right paper setting such as heavy or card stock? Maybe adjust the time? What press are you sing if I may ask?

Hmmm Bill, I have never heard that and use the Texprint-R that is specially formulated for the ricoh gel inks for everything . . . .

I lowered my temp to 360 degrees for 5 min 30 seconds,  seems to be the sweet spot for blacks on these mugs.   They were getting waaaay too cooked.  No pre heating.   Firmed up the pressure too,  then backed it off just a touch when a handle popped off my mug in the press.  :) 

Im having way too much fun with this.  Now that its working.

I will bet if you check with a ir thermometer that your temp is actually higher than it is reading.  glad you found the right spot though

Ill have to check it,  I think I have an IR gun at work.

Im going to go through this case of mugs to myself :)

z

Just somw comments from others

For hard surfaces go with a general purpose sublimation paper.We use Conde general purpose paper for hard surfaces and works great.Sid is right on with what he said about textprint and other high release papers,great for soft substrates but you dont need as much toner released on hard goods.Also black takes a little longer to fully sublimate so you might want to up your press time just a little when doing transfers that have big areas of black

This is from Dave at Conde

post_old.gif 
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Conde

icon1.gifRe: AccuPlot EPQ or TexPrint XP for Mugs?
If you are pressing Conde mugs, use a general all use sublimation paper such as Conde's SPP, Accuplot...not the Text Print paper.

Bill the reason I use texprint R for everything is the ricoh printers with the gel ink prints much faster than the epsons and it doesn't give the print time to dry before you get the next paper smudging the print under it that was just printed  . . . . the texprint-r dries much faster.  I am not questioning if the cheaper paper works just as good if you print one page at a time and pull it off before proceeding to the next page.  even Texprint xp will smudge if doing a bunch of sheets at once on  a ricoh   But i see where I got off topic if doing one sheet at a time - this wasn't about smudging  :-[

here is the entire link from Bill's thread - referencing a epson printer

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublimation/t85440.html

David had told me a couple of years ago to use texprint-r when I was having trouble on sublislates because it was made for the gel inks and works better - since then i have had no problems with anything.

PS on the epsons I would definately call Bill the expert as he does great work and has a great system!