I'm going to borrow a multimeter from my friend and test what I can in the morning. I'm thinking I am just going to have to buy a new board but I am terrified that there is another issue as well. I can imagine that worst happening, maybe some wiring is at fault and will short the new board as well! 

When I ran my LP24 I disconnected the USB connector until I got a replacement, leaving it connected might have caused a short accross the 5V line. That may be what happened to you. those pictures are very typical of a run-away short. You may (probably) have lost that UV-prom and U12 - not sure what that is, probably used as a digital switch

Thats not good news! I am worried about what the original problem was that caused the short. the wiring all looks intact and the old USB I/O board doesn't even look broken. The new main board I ordered should arrive on Monday but I was a little worried about just plugging it in if there is another issue that could short it out. 

You said I will need to reuse my UV-prom because it is not included with the new board I purchased. Are these available to purchase somewhere since you think mine is probably bad? is there a way to test it?

I changed mine a couple of years back and still have a spare in the box. It has all the chips in place, I never had to swap anything over just plug and play. I don't think my original was bad because when I changed it out 1 plug was barely connected.

Jay

The link from the previous post was a bare board without the prom chip, since you got yours from the US Cutter Tech, I'm sure he's smart enough to order the complete board.

BTW - a PROM is literally a programmable memory chip, it's programmed with the control info needed for your particular machine, so no you can't just buy a chip unless programmed correctly.

USB ports are very reliable and what usually causes a problem is a physical short like when you run over the cables or jam the port so badly the lan'ds short. Wth a new board and new plub & connector you shouldn't have a problem.

Don't worry be happy!

Well the last tech I spoke with didn't know much about the board and he had me order it from the website. The other two techs I spoke with yesterday were pretty knowledgeable and nice. I'll give her a try when it comes in and hope for the best. My plan to purchase a second cutter is going to have to happen sooner than I was planning. Downtime is expensive!

I was in this boat awhile back and ended up having uscutter send a cutter air. If I remember right the shipping was around $100 coming out of Washington state. This was before the Memphis warehouse came to be. I've got 2 now and love the security of looking over and knowing it's there when I need it.

Jay

I feel your pain concerning the techs, I wish I could tell you how many times I've applied to a job, with all my years of experience, yet HR still hires someone who knows almost nothing. Nowadays it's even harder with Robo-screeners dumping your resume before you even see a person! It just amazes me to see how....OK, I'm calm - I'm Happy! Let it go....

• Like 1

Update I reset my LP24 and connected the USB port - everything works fine, I had to uninstall then reinstall the USB driver, but other than that the machine worked.

The Limit switches on the sides act as reset switches, turn off your machine & hold down the right push-button hold it for several seconds, then whhile still holding down the switch turn the plotter on, then immediately let go. The plotter should reset to "factory" settings. It's not documented but it works for me.

Just remember you are getting a new board so this procedure shouldn't be nessasary.

It's alive! Oh man am I glad my cutter is working again. The settings are off and I was not able to retrieve the settings I had with the old board. For some reason the cutting blade was down way to far, not sure how that happened. Well I adjusted the blade and the test cut rectangle isn't connecting at the last corner so I will continue to mess with this thing. Thanks for all the support guys.

post-12577-0-69841100-1366663898_thumb.j

Alrighty, I got the settings dialed in and started right off on a larger piece that has been waiting at my shop. Started cutting no problem but when it got about 12 inches into the vinyl the machine froze and displayed "waiting" on the lcd screen. I know I have read something about this on the forum but I can't seem to find the threads now. ARG, I already wasted a foot of this 24" 651 doing all the test cuts. 

Although I haven't bought one before, I would suggest keyspan adapter if you don't already have 1. I'm going to order 1 with my next order due to a problem similar to yours except mine just ate 2 6' sections of red and 1 30" wide X 3' pc. of black by stopping in the middle of the cut.

Jay

A couple things to check: this could the a buffer overrun error;

make sure your com settings are correct I use  hardware handshaking, 8,1,None 9600 baud but xon/xoff can work too.

I've heard a memory upgrade helps , but still the software should wait for the machine to be ready.

I may have my old LP for sale in a few days if I can get the $ together for the 1 Dakota has. It never gave me this kind of grief and I may have to use it tomorrow to finish this job. The LP2 cuts great but if it can't finish the cut what good is it.

Jay

Yeah my com settings are already set to your recommendations. I have since hooked up the old desktop with the serial cable again and have not had any issues with the cutter. I do need to dial in the settings a little better, on small detail stuff I am getting some over cut marks and some pieces that are still attached. I don't think I ever changed the offset with the old board, I'll have to look it up and mess with that next. I did by a usb to serial cable adapter and thats how I was using my laptop to  cut. It is not a keyspan, which I believe actually controls the flow? At least I was able to finally cut out a rear window piece and real estate sign runner that have been waiting. I also started working on my company stuff for my truck, shop, and street sign, finally! 

post-12577-0-52715900-1366866146_thumb.j

From what I've read it does regulate the flow which in turn keeps from overrunning the limited memory.

Jay

I think the only memory upgrades avaiable are for the mh series - which ships with very little memory

From the posts I've read on the Keyspan adapter there can be a significant difference between brands and quality. 5 cutters and I've never had 1 but I will be ordering 1 next week for my LP2 and see if that helps since it's doing the same as your laserpoint.

Jay