bwctint

Laying Vinyl Question

I'm trying to lay a 1" x 12" reflective vinyl strip on a 6" x 12" license plate.  Everytime I lay it down it's either crooked or bubbled.  Any tips?  Also what tools would you recommend for this?

Ah making one of these?  You're going to need some application tape and a squeegee. 

post-24657-0-85989400-1364977418_thumb.g

Yea that's similiar to what I'm making.  I do window tint and this is all new to me.  Is the wet method like soap and water?  Or use the application tape? 

A strip that narrow should be easy without any bubbles or problems . Like was stated above watch some tutorials . Always start at one end or center and work down the vinyl pushing out the air as you go .

Yea that's similiar to what I'm making.  I do window tint and this is all new to me.  Is the wet method like soap and water?  Or use the application tape? 

I would do it dry like mentioned above.  Use application tape, reflective is brittle and the app tape will help keep it from tearing if too much tension is applied.  It also makes handling and applying the vinyl easier. 

I would also use the center hinge method which you can look this up on Youtube. 

The hinge method is placing masking tape over the stripe perpendicular and onto the black license plate to hold the strip in place mid way down the stripe.  Next thing you do is lift one end and peel the backing paper back to the masking tape and cut the backing off.  Now you're ready to apply that half of the decal.  Holding the end of the decal in one hand, use your other hand and squeegee to apply that half of the decal.  Hold the end of the decal off of the plate and working from the center out use the squeegee to apply the decal working towards the end you are holding.  Remove the masking tape and do the other half when you have both halves done remove the application tape and you should have a bubble, wrinkle and straightly applied stripe.

The squeegee is not the same kind you use for window tint.  There is a possibility you will get bubbles if you use your rubber edged tint squeegee. 

Why?

If you use liquid to apply reflective it can soak into the reflective and leave dark marks.