Sign in to follow this  
security802

My Work Area

post-36874-0-06288300-1364687057_thumb.j

post-36874-0-70399900-1364687063_thumb.j

My current home office and vinyl work area, still need more table top space. Don't mind the cluttered desk it's a sign of genius (really it is).

Even have my shop sign from here up on the wall.

After seeing how a small room in a house can be used for vinyl cutting and production, I am tempted to downsize my retail store and save $3000 in annual rental costs by consolidating into just 1/2 of the space and letting the landlord subdivide the store (and rent out the other half) -- that is what he proposed to me this week, since my lease is coming up for renewal.

I hate to do it, because the current space is big & beautiful, but $3K is a hefty chunk of moolah.

But, looking at what you are doing here in a tiny room, leads me to believe that it's not all that bad to "be small" and still do the work.

post-21408-0-73819800-1364688911_thumb.j

Room is 15 x 17. Not a bad set-up and for $3000 I could have a 24 x 24 garage built by a contractor friend up here in the great north of Maine.

I like alot of those decals security. Not a bad setup at all. I just really started doing this a few months ago so give me time and mine will be cluttered to......lol

Joker I just got a cutter under a month ago and this is how cluttered I am, wife says she can't wait to see it by next year.

Room is 15 x 17. Not a bad set-up and for $3000 I could have a 24 x 24 garage built by a contractor friend up here in the great north of Maine.

i am located on a busy Maryland state road, with over 10,000 cars daily going by and a steady stream of walk-in clients.

My current shop is about 24 x24, and the landlord wants to reclaim the 1/2 with that garage-door, leaving me the 12 x24 side with the door & front window.

I am absolutely a neat freak, and could manage to squeeze into the half space somehow.

The thing is, having enough table-length. Right now I'm using 15' of tabletops (two placed end-to end).

I am thinking of having some tables mad the fold up onto the wall to free up floor space when needed but I can fold em down to do weeding or layout. I have loads of plans, just need the customers to back the costs

• Like 1

Looks good.

Serious about this business, you won't care about opinions. You won't have time.

Only your current customer matters; and of course the next...

Take care, Mark

• Like 1

In any case, never make, or ask for any excuse for your mistake or problem.

Fix them.

Take care, Mark

I am using my garage but am UNSEEN and have all but decided to place signs short of pissing off the neighbors since I have been here 7mts several know what I am trying to do but traffic would NOT be a good idea, so having preped some 6 big corraplast(spelling) with many of the designs I have done, and many I still have unplaced I am finally planning the BIG flea market run in a week or so, as I spoke of this on another post SIGNS are not on the menu unless someone were to approach as I have my daytime/nitetime job which does pay quite nicely so again SIGNS are out, primarly I am into LARGE graphics and wall-art, its trying to get these modern cajuns to see the lite which is not a easy task...

So i talked my parents and asked my mom i could use my old bedroom into my work area.. and this is it.. It's in the attic so she won't even know i'm there.. hehe  but soon it will be hot as heck up there in the summer   still need to bring my heat press over there and my vinyl cutter and all my vinyl .. hehe 

Just no $ to put it there so that is a the BIG PLUS  LOL

post-16863-0-07137300-1364777696_thumb.j

post-16863-0-98050900-1364777698_thumb.j

That's nice, SeeJay.

I know zilch about heat press (did work as a 6-color screen-press operator for a few months; high-quality high-volume towels for people like NFL & Bill Blass; learned a lot, but the job was too boring.

Do you "bonk" your head while you're trying to work, haha?

It gets really hot up there in the summer months, i was wondering what kind of temp  Vinyl can be in and Screen Printing Ink..

I'm not sure what i can leave in the heat Like 110 degrees it gets up there ..

i don't bonk my head thank god.. 

I just got a dye sub printer so now i can do keychains and all that now to :)

It gets really hot up there in the summer months, i was wondering what kind of temp  Vinyl can be in and Screen Printing Ink..

I'm not sure what i can leave in the heat Like 110 degrees it gets up there ..

i don't bonk my head thank god.. 

I just got a dye sub printer so now i can do keychains and all that now to :)

If you think it's hot up there now - wait until you plug your heat press in!

According to the Oracal spec sheet for 651 vinyl it has a 2 year shelf life based on 68°F/50% relative humidity storage.  I imagine that storing it at 110° for very long will not be good for it.  Once it's been applied it is safe up to 176°.

Those kinds of temperatures are going to be tough on your computer equipment, too.  You might want to invest in a small window air conditioner, or a portable air conditioner and try to keep the temperature below 90-95° as much as you can.

that is where you take the money saved from renting a location and put it into air conditioning that space and mom and dads house

If you think it's hot up there now - wait until you plug your heat press in!

According to the Oracal spec sheet for 651 vinyl it has a 2 year shelf life based on 68°F/50% relative humidity storage.  I imagine that storing it at 110° for very long will not be good for it.  Once it's been applied it is safe up to 176°.

Those kinds of temperatures are going to be tough on your computer equipment, too.  You might want to invest in a small window air conditioner, or a portable air conditioner and try to keep the temperature below 90-95° as much as you can.

ya i plan on getting a window air.. but i won't want it to run all summer long.. 

i might move things to the garage well see how things go.. 

i wish i could afford a little office somewhere like i found some for like $500 a month for a office but i don't want that over head right now as i'm just starting out .. 

I am using my garage but am UNSEEN and have all but decided to place signs short of pissing off the neighbors since I have been here 7mts several know what I am trying to do but traffic would NOT be a good idea, so having preped some 6 big corraplast(spelling) with many of the designs I have done, and many I still have unplaced I am finally planning the BIG flea market run in a week or so, as I spoke of this on another post SIGNS are not on the menu unless someone were to approach as I have my daytime/nitetime job which does pay quite nicely so again SIGNS are out, primarly I am into LARGE graphics and wall-art, its trying to get these modern cajuns to see the lite which is not a easy task...

Do a crawfish image with the wording Cajun style. Bet it would sell lol.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SeeJay" data-cid="305427" data-time="1364822712"><p>

ya i plan on getting a window air.. but i won't want it to run all summer long.. <br />

i might move things to the garage well see how things go.. <br />

<br />

i wish i could afford a little office somewhere like i found some for like $500 a month for a office but i don't want that over head right now as i'm just starting out ..</p></blockquote>

Build or buy a building . There is also at least in my little part of the world piped up several rent to own buildings ( short term if not needed after a while or long term and purchase ) just an option .

Dan

My wife is forcing me out of the main house, but she is letting me convert 1/2 the 2 car garage into "my" area.  The wall is up, insulated, sheetrocked, tape and bedded, door in along with an a/c unit..... just a little paint and I am ready to go.

My garage doesnt have a window for an a/c unit, so during the summer it gets HOT! I plan on moving within the next 6-8 months, if the new place doesn't have a garage window, I will make one! So tired of sweating to death all summer!

I do not have a window either.  I have installed the a/c unit in the wall I built.  I just make sure to crack an overhead door when I run the unit.