dfw_yup

PPF Paint Protection Film bunching

Cutter: SC Series

Blade: 60 degree blade supplied with cutter, only used on a couple yards of material

Software: Signblazer

Material: XPEL Ultimate PPF (poly liner)

I tried searching, but wasn’t able to mind much good help on this.  When I cut PPF, I’m getting some bunching up of the material in the ~10” section between the pinch rollers.  It happens the most when the blade moves in the direction away from the edge.  My cuts are of oval shape and when the blade makes its way around the finish off the shape the bunching distorts the cut hair and prevents the blade from connecting back up with the cut, leaving a very small area of un cut material.

I’ve tried adjusting cut speed down to one of the slower settings and blade pressure down to about 20, but still getting the bunching.  Also tried adjusting blade depth up and down with no impact.  Additionally, I’ve adjusted the roller tension and all that’s done is leaving roller marks on my liner and material.

Any advice???  Thanks y'all!

roller marks are normal on the cheaper cutters - they go away - you have probably losened the tension to the point it can't hold the material enough while dragging the blade to cut . . . . 

Thank you for the reply.  I thought that might be the case at first too, but the problem persists with high or low roller tension.  It sure looks like it has to do more with the material not having enough horizontal stiffness to hold its shape.  It kinda buldges up as the blade moves through it.

Hey guys and gals... just wanted to move this one back to the top. I haven't had any luck with the bunching. I've tried taking the blade in until it stops cutting all the way through the material and it's still bunching. I've also increased and decreased pressure with no luck. Spraying on WD-40 did nothing for me either.

I've inspected the blade tip and it looks perfectly fine. I've also tried replacing the blade with a spare and brand new 45* and get the same exact tugging.

What OTHER things can I try or check? This is getting to be a huge PITA as it's distorting the material as it cuts and doesn't allow the blade to meet back up with its exact starting point, forcing me to scrap about half of my production.

On a side note, the roller marks has been completely solved with some electrical tape. Just wrap one layer of electrical tape around the roller and bam, all roller marks gone and zero slippage. The back of the PPF material grips the tape and soft rubber pinch roller very well.

No, I wasn't interested in trying that blade until someone with prior experience had done so.  I emailed cleancut last night for suggestions.

I emailed Clean Cut and they do NOT suggest using the thinned 60*. I ordered a regular 60* so we'll give that a shot.

I think 1-2 additional pinch rollers would help hold the material in place too--just wish they weren't so dang expensive, and I feel like this is just a bandage that should be able to be fixed another way.

make sure you start with 35 percent less pressure and too little blade, working your way up so you don't punch thru and break a tip on the new blade right off - they are way sharper

Does your shape fill the cutter area? If not, I'd try sliding the pinchers to the area you will be cutting.

No, it doesn't fill the cutting area.  I also make multiple pieces at a time so moving the rollers around all the time wouldn't be feasible. 

Have you tried running it without the blade holder. This will tell you if it's the blade or the rollers causing it to bunch up.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

First post, but have been a keen reader for some time - a great forum - been very helpful.

On the subject of paint protection film, chip guard, venture shield etc. all the previous replies are relevant in our experience. The one most significant point that has not been made is the ambient temperature at which the film is being cut. On the two or three occasions a year the temperature gets above 50 F in the U.K. we have noticed greater difficulty in cutting this material. It does not track accurately at higher temperatures either.

This, I imagine, is due to the changing hysteresis of the product v temperature. You lucky people who enjoy sun-kissed days every day, may have to chill the product down a little to optimise cutting behaviour.

We can source the material here in a couple of thicknesses, and also with a top covering of polyester film (at a considerable price premium) to obviate the cutting and tracking problem.

It seems as if 3M has the market sewn up everywhere; we have had no success in sourcing vehicle templates for this application anywhere else.

http://www.kpmf.com/products/product-series/k82200-series-aliphatic-polyurethane.aspx

Out of curiosity, does 3M PPF do the same thing? I use 3M Scotchgard a lot with a Graphtec and (not thinned) CleanCut 60 degree blade and never have any problems.