Hello all,

I am in the process of obtaining a business license as well as a few other things to finally make my vinyl business official. I have found a lot of information already on most of what is required of me but I am not sure about a contractors license. I looked up the contractor's state license board and found they have a classification for sign contractor. http://www.cslb.ca.gov/GeneralInformation/Library/LicensingClassifications/C45Sign.asp it described the installation or modification of a post or pole mounted sign. 

I don't think cutting vinyl or doing window or car lettering would require a contractors license but I was hopping to offer real estate signs and possible redoing lighted plexy signs and the like. I am in California and would appreciate any insight I can get.

THANKS! 

you do not need it, as long as you don't install that type of signage.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

From the way that regulation is worded, you will need to obtain a license (costing  $480 for the Original Application and initial license fee) for work you perform outside your shop, doing any installs on-site.

If you have specific questions, call (800) 321-CSLB

Of course, there is also the subject of Permits for installing or replacing signage, which is always a fun adventure with the local Permit Dep't.

It is a state by state issue & then a county by county issue as far as what is required by law . Generally installing is something that would need a contractor's/home improvement license . It does here in Md . If you are working for a general contractor that is dealing with the end user , you don't need that though . Making & selling decals or signs , even installing on vehicles would not need a home improvement/contractor's license according to the local permit office . In Deer Lodge Tn ( Morgan county ) , no business license is available . There is no big government there :)

You should not need one unless you are going to install signs on buildings or poles . Electric signs. , lighted channel letters ,electronic digital displays and lighted sign repair / service are the majority of my business along with plastic formed letters . Requiring me to hold multiple license in West Virginia . I also run a handyman service and have incorporated both divisions into one contractors license to save a few bucks .

Dan

Great, thanks guys. I figured that I did not need it but after reading the wording on my local government site I got a little worried. I am not going to install any electrical or fixed exterior signs. The only grey area would be a real estate sign on a post or pole that in put in front of a house. Around here they use 4 x 4 posts and around 5' tall.

Thanks for the post.  I too am in CA.  Just started in Oct doing windows, banners, etc.  So I am assuming something like a lighted plexi "box" sign would require a license to initially install, no already there and your just sliding the plexi in?  We have a contractors license for our construction business, I wonder if that could overlap somehow (with the proper paperwork), just in case we need to install other signage?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Motoxchic" data-cid="305052" data-time="1364569094"><p>

Thanks for the post. I too am in CA. Just started in Oct doing windows, banners, etc. So I am assuming something like a lighted plexi "box" sign would require a license to initially install, no already there and your just sliding the plexi in? We have a contractors license for our construction business, I wonder if that could overlap somehow (with the proper paperwork), just in case we need to install other signage?</p></blockquote>

I changed the wording on my license to cover the handyman service and the sign service Dan's Handyman and Sign Services LLC

Yeah, thats what I figured. I don't want to install the whole box signs just remove the plexy insert and redo it. I did just get a request for a large wood sign that needs to be installed though. I am going to find a contractor to sub out the install but I posted a thread asking for pricing help on the sign construction. 

Hello all,

I am in the process of obtaining a business license as well as a few other things to finally make my vinyl business official. I have found a lot of information already on most of what is required of me but I am not sure about a contractors license. I looked up the contractor's state license board and found they have a classification for sign contractors licensehttp://www.cslb.ca.gov/GeneralInformation/Library/LicensingClassifications/C45Sign.asp it described the installation or modification of a post or pole mounted sign. 

I don't think cutting vinyl or doing window or car lettering would require a contractors license but I was hopping to offer real estate signs and possible redoing lighted plexy signs and the like. I am in California and would appreciate any insight I can get.

THANKS! 

You are not required to have a contractors license if you are doing car lettering or applying vinyl to items that are not fixed.  However, if you are applying vinyl covering to windows, there is a C-61 limited specialty classification (D52 Window Covering Contractor).

Here is description.

• D52 - Window Coverings Contractor

A window coverings contractor installs or applies decorative, architectural/ functional window/glass treatment or covering products, including but not limited to the following: all types of materials and fabrics that make up louvers, shutters, Venetian and mini-blinds; residential or commercial draperies and screens; expanded metal window and door guards; plastic film window treatment and/or any other window treatment applied for temperature control or as a screening device.

It is a state by state issue & then a county by county issue as far as what is required by law

So if you are re  locating to another State why would yo do all that there now?  Wouldn't it be smarter to save the money and get it when you get to your new location?

• Like 2

You can always check out LegalZoom.com  ( I haven't tried it myself, but a good friend who recently started her own business, recommended it).  She said it's right around $300 (can be broken up into 3 monthly installments) but they do all of the footwork for you, and when you are finished, you have everything you need to be considered a business.  (licensing, tax ID #, etc.)  They follow all of the state guidelines for whatever state you reside in.  

For what I have been doing here in California I have not needed a contractors license yet but can definitely see needing one in the future if I were to continue with my business. 

I am most likely moving sometime in August and I am not sure if I will be starting a business in my new location or finding a job. There are a lot of factors I am still considering and wish I just had it figured out already. I am leaning towards doing vinyl and signs out of my home when I move and possibly a part time job. This will allow me to have a steady income and still bring in some extra money with vinyl. I am going to be taking on a heavy academic load in the fall so I won't be working long hours like I am now. 

It is an offense to engage in contracting business without a license first being obtained. All architects and engineers preparing plans and specifications for work to be contracted.

Time warp buddy. That post was over 2 years ago. Pretty sure Ted sold his stuff off last year.