twentythreemx

easy question with layering, help please!!

So im still new with all of this, for multi colored i understand the concept of layers but what I dont understand is what to do if they over lap. I know laying vinnyl over the vinyl is fine, but what about edges?

See this example, I created it real quick as a test. I cut one out and stuck it ona  desk and it looks ok, but I have to do a big (over 2 ft) log that will be similar with the text over lapping a shape..

will you see the line real bad? (You barley notice it on the desk but im worried on a larger scale it wont look good).. would it be best to cut out and leave empty space inbetween the text and the star? (just a small amount?)

What is best way to do it? im worried if i try to leave a little blank space it will be very hard to line up right (even using reg marks)

example:

27267621.png

• Like 1

bump.. please help. have another one like this to do. the customer doesnt want space inbetween..

It will be 3 layer... text with an outline, and then a drop shadow.

Whats the best way to go about it? the text/outline is easy..obviously the white text will sit on top of the black outline.. but what about the red shadow..

Should that shadow be the full size of the whole logo, and then line up the text/outline perfect in it? (my worry is that it wont line up perfect and you will see bits and pieces of it underneath the edges, or the opposite, you the top layer may over hang a little and not stick then)

Or should I just lay the outlined text right over the off set shadow? My worry is that you might see a line across it where the bottom layer stops??

Example

60674428.png

hmm sounds like laying the outlined text right over the off set shadow or laying the red off set shadow over the outlined text are your best options to me if you can't have a space between the off set shadow..

but i think either way you try it you are going to see a bit of an edge where layers overlap since there is no spacing between the off set shadow and the outline.

i made a small 12" test, rather than the 30+ inch real one..

what I did was combine all 3 layers and weld (union the path) together to make the whole outline.. use that as bottom layer. then for 2nd layer did the same for the outline/text..then the last layer is just the text.

that way everything lined up on top of eachother. it worked out perfect, but im worried that if im just a touch off anywhere it might screw it up..but i guess well find out. this looks like the best way to do it.. other than seeing lines or something.i just really want to know how the pros do this and what the "right" way is!

I'm new this all as well but personally I'd be a bit concerned about how thick three layers would be. Since the red shadow is not one piece you could try placing them individually using a wet method in order to get them to fit snug right up against the black.

Over time though I'm sure the vinyl will shrink slightly and may result in the gap you are trying to avoid.

not sure if thickness is an issue or not. because of the 3 layers the transfer tape didnt lay down so well.. which im sure will not be an issue when applied.. but it made for a few air bubbles and such which i usually try to avoid, just for a more professional appearance. but it came out pretty good.

when you start layering multiple colors like that i have noticed it does start getting tough to keep air bubbles from forming under it, i just recently did a some large tank decals for my bike and they are only 2 colors and i had to recut them a couple times because i couldnt get them to lay flat enough and then get the transfer tape to release and not pull it up and cause air bubbles so i went with a wet install for the first time and it seemed to really help big time with the transfer tape removal part.