prettybird

instructions on vectorizing?

Hi, I was wondering if there any instructions on this site about vectorizing with Flexi? (I tried to find some but couldn't)  I have Flexi Sign Pro 8.1 and I need to vectorize something.  It's a picture of a Gnome inside a black circle and I need to cut the black circle off of the gnome so I can print just the gnome.  I would like to figure out how to do it myself if possible because I have a couple other items to do also. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks :)

You should have HELP topics right in your software for that. At the top of your software screen  HELP, then HELP TOPICS..

Even my Flexistarter has the Flexisign Pro instructions in it...

Try downloading the free tool Inkscape and tracing with that.  There are numerous posts on here about how to trace/vectorize using Inkscape.

Or you can check out a program like Vector Magic, which is the one I use.  You can purchase it, or subscribe for $8 per month for unlimited uses.  Another forum member recommended this program, but other than reading what is on the website (and watching their videos) I don't know much more about it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried that (painting the black part white) and then I opened it in flexi and tried to contour and it won't contour, so I clicked on vectorize and then on autotrace and it looks like it put a line around the outside but it also put several lines on the gnome too so it looks like it wants to cut more places than just around the outside.  How do I get it to just vectorize around the outside?   (is this something I should be able to do in Flexi or do I really have to use another program?) thanks :)

It autotraces each color separately. You have to click on each color. If its black and white and  you want to trace just the black, click the black to autotrace the black. If it is still tracing everything you need to mess with the autotrace adjustments.

Why don't you post a picture of what you want to vectorize?  if its a black and white jpg, bring it into Flexi with "IMPORT" .  Once on the screen and highlighted with a red line around it click on the bimap drop down and click on Vectorize then click on Bezier.  the program will vectorize it.  When it's done move your mouse over the image left click hold, move it off to the side and delete the original image.

post-24657-0-16155000-1364493998_thumb.j

post-24657-0-46168200-1364494158_thumb.j

It has more colors than black and white.  It has black, blue, green, red, white and tan.  (the person that made it doesn't want anyone to use the picture so I don't think I can post it.)  When I try to vectorize, I click on the black part so it outlines the black but there is also black lines in the other parts of the picture that it is also putting cut lines on.  (there are black lines on a white beard and stuff like that).  So how can I make it only outline the outside part and not the other parts?  I really appreciate the help :)

Are you using Flexi sign? If you are you can do the same thing but instead of clicking on bezier, click on color trace. 

Click outside of the image and make a square or rectangle over the image.  Once you have the image covered by the square or rectangle let go of the mouse button.

You have 6 colors in your graphic so set the number to 6 in design central and click the green check box.

Click on the arrow in the upper left of the tool bar.  Click on the image to move the vectored image off of the original.

You should now have a vectored 6 colored image ready to cut. 

You might have to do some clean up and node editing. 

post-24657-0-07232900-1364567490_thumb.j

post-24657-0-25888400-1364567504_thumb.j

nice instructions

Thanks, I hope it helps not just prettybird but others also.

Hi, thank you for the instructions!  I really appreciate the help. Sorry for taking so long to respond.  I tried to reply but I couldn't get on the forum for a few days because I was getting an error for some reason and then I got really busy.

But when I try to do the steps above, that makes it so I can cut all the colors separately, but all I want to do on this one, is get a cut line around the outside of the gnome because I am going to print it out.  So I can use another program to paint over the black circle that is around the gnome and get rid of that, but I can't seem to get it to make a cut line only around the outside of the gnome, so I would I do that?  Thanks again :)

Okay I found a better way. 

1. Import your graphic (jpg) then highlight or select it.

2. Click on the bitmap drop down

3. Select the make transparent  wand.

4. Click in the white square surrounding the black circle.

5. Hold down the shift key and select any other item (black circle, any black in holes around arms etc.)

6. You will see marching ants or blinking black dashes around everything you select.

7. Click the green check in design central and watch the black circle disappear.

8.  Make sure gnome is selected

9. Click on the effects drop down and select contour cut, set distance you want contour cut from gnome and click  green check in design central.

Contour cutting is performed with the rip and print and  not in cut.

That's as far as I can take you, I would suggest that you pick up Mark Rugan's instructional video.  It explains it better than I can.  You will have to print registration marks and set up your cutter to read the marks.

I hope this helps.