Sign in to follow this  
blackpaws

My Back is KILLING Me!!! I need a new desk, what do ya'll work off of?

So right now I am using your standard fold-up tables from Wal-mart to work off of. As I seem to get busier and work longer days, my back is killing me from being hunched over. I am curious what kind of table every one else uses? Something back-lit would be awesome! I haven't found any that would work yet. Do you guys usually work standing up or sitting down? For fine detailed stuff that's smaller I find myself sitting down, but for the majority work I find myself standing and hunched over. I suppose just adding some height to my tables would be the easiest solution. Just curious what everyone else does :) 

I do all of my design work, sitting on the couch, with my laptop.  All of my weeding is done at the kitchen table... sitting for some of it, and the harder to weed areas, I stand hunched over.  I have a lot of back and shoulder problems to begin with, so what I'm doing really isn't working for me!  I need to find a better solution, myself!

All of my design work is done at my computer desk with a comfy chair. For weeding I do stand the whole time. I have a serious thick and spongy rubber mat for standing on and the weeding table is bar height so I am not too hunched over. Seems to work well for me.

Get the table higher off the ground.

Bed-risers will work for that.

LARGEIMAGE_284058.jpg

• Like 1

This is what I have. Got it for $100 off Craigslist and it came with a nice raised swivel chair:

post-1636-0-97181700-1364411276_thumb.jp

This is what I have. Got it for $100 off Craigslist and it came with a nice raised swivel chair:

what would you call that kind of table?

NVM: Drafting Table

I took 2 of the 8 foot folding tables...some 2x6 lumber and some plywood...built a frame on top of the tables and raised the height by almost 6 inches. It helped a lot. I also left part of the frame open at the front and put some drawers in it.

Weeding is on a custom built 38 inch high table no bending . I have 2 x 6 s from celing to floor at about a 25% angle that I can space as needed for my substrate with 1-25 inch holes drilled at different heights to make for a comfortable install height .

I just got one of these... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959091000P

It's completely adjustable to your height and the surface is solid. No more graphics moving under the straight edge like I had with the white lifetime folding table.

I also put a rhino self healing matte that was custom cut to the table... http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/1

• Like 1

love the bed riser idea- great idea for those on a budget. thanks

I got two butcher-block kitchen counters from IKEA... didn't buy the doors for them but did get the shelf sets... I'm 5'8", and standing here weeding stuff is comfortable... I also have two bar chairs that let me sit and work here comfortably... my heat press and design computer sit on one of the counters, and my two embroidery machines sit on the other.  I have a 58x33 cutting mat from JoAnn's on the heat press counter so that I don't scar the wood when I weed and cut stuff apart.. I use the shelves for storage of my vinyl or embroidery supplies, and they don't move for anything.  Takes my husband and both my son & son-in-law to move them.  They were a little spendy, but I love them.   :rolleyes: