Brunton850

help vectorizing a .PSD file and applying a contour cut ASAP!

hello i have just started doing digital graphics for all sorts of vehicles and stockcars, but what i need help doing is ... i design all my work in PS as im not use to any other programs , but when my images have a backdrop etc or are normal , i need it to have a contour cut around the edge... can anyway talk me through on how to do this please, muchly appreciated!!

If im understanding it right, try File save as > save as Photoshop EPS > open in cutting program > add contour cut

saving as eps will only work if i remember right if its all created in photoshop... i have only used it like one or 2 times...

KuRTgzq.png

0JbQlgT.png

PS file is a raster, You should manually create your CC line in flexi or AI. Or even better yet create a vector file in AI from the start. 

• Like 1

When you have your image imported into Flexi  open the bitmap editing tools.  With the magic wand selected click on all items you don't want to contour cut around.  That would include all the white space between the rectangle or square and your design.  You'll see dotted lines around the items selected.  When you have that done, click the bitmap drop down menu on the top toolbar, click on make transparent then go to the Design Central and click the green check mark.  Now click on contour cut and the contour cut lines should outline your design.  set how far you want to contour from your design and click the the green check mark in Design Central and you're good to go

Hope this helps.

I'm assuming that you have flexisign because another poster is showing you how in Flexi. 

• Like 1

yea but whenever i do that and click on contour cut , it only puts a square/rectangle contour around it?

i bet you have a background or something like that, FBHSsQe.png

This haunted me for a long time as well. Adobe products are kind shady when they enter flexi. I still use them but have learned (somewhat) on how to get around them. You have to select your object, then ungroup everything then be sure to unmask. Chances are everything will turn black or be covered in some way. DON'T PANIC, click off the side of the object to deselect and then pick your direct selection arrow (Click and hold on the arrow tool til the side bar comes out then select the white arrow). Click on the mask and delete. You sometimes will have to do this multiple times for it to work correctly as some files will have this applied many times. Then select contour cut from the ARRANGE menu not effects. Select make contour cut and BOOM! you made yourself a contour cut.

If I can offer you one more bit of advice from my own experience. Make yourself start using illustrator. You'll find in the end it is by far a better program and you can do so much more faster than in PS. I started using PS myself and have since moved on to AI and haven't looked back.