motoxchic

Tips for installing cut vinyl on a bass drum head?

The drum heads are clear and obviously concave.  One is 1 color, the other is 4 colors layered.  I need to find something to lay it on (basically something round that fits inside a 22" head) and wondering if there is anything else I should know?

I did the one I posted here by using a bunch of(dont laugh) user manuals and so it was inside the drum skin surface and the outter ring was off the desk surface as much as 2-3in's well it worked for me as I used a Chrome mirror vinyl special for the drummer request.He bought the rest of it off me to do another drummers bass front skin as he liked the finish..

I see that post, it turned out nice.  I almost did chrome, but they decided black for one.  Anything special with application...did you do dry or wet?  I have been doing everything dry as I am "so advanced" now (lol, just started in Oct).  I am impatient and hate waiting for it to dry!  Manuals or books should work food, just something I can put pressure on :)

cool, dry it is, thank you!.  Also, I forgot to ask about prep...rubbing alcohol? or maybe just clean with soap and water? 

Well he bought it that day so it came out of the container in a plastic bagging so I assume it was as "clean" as it might be expected...Being it is of a plastic or polymer material(assuming) I wouldnt try anything of chemical nature, maybe a lite mix of a simple DAWN and warm water but I am NOT sure about it...Some may laugh but I use to clean my Gibson with polishing wax same for HAG Bass..Never used water or a lacquer solvent or alcohol..Just me thinking thata

They are both in the plastic brand new.  Might just wipe it with a wet micro fiber cloth and go for it.  I am hesitant to use anything chemical like you said.

Ok, to followup!  The first head was a wreck.  It was very cheap, CLEAR and VERY scratchy.  I didnt have a good enough support underneath and got bubbles on the outside edges.  My customer/friend took it (wasnt going to charge him...this is a one shot deal for a concert they are doing next weekend) and while trying to cut the mic hole (with head on the drum) it basically shattered it.

SO, try 2.  I had a relative cut me a nice board to fit under the drum head (hopefully will get more of these to do).  It worked perfectly!  Put a sheet on top of the board, then head.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p540/ebaypics00/20130329_202018_zpse995e09c.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p540/ebaypics00/20130329_202124_zps19a60e3e.jpg

Very nice..nice indeed...I am a funny one when it comes to music equipment and my graphics, I am not happy till I have tried all avenues and then sometimes I still try to go the extra step at times....Being an ex musician(because my ex destroyed all my instruments-she thought I spent more time with music than her) my heart is always 1/2 music and 1/2 creating art of different levels...

• Like 1

this is a perfect topic for me this week. I just received a request to do one so really needed this info. One question for now - what vinyl should i use. He wants black- i have Oracal 641,651 or should it be anything else as far as mil goes.

Here are my graphic. He sent me the jpegs and I converted and cut a sample for him. The crown is for his drum head and the other for whatever.

post-36131-0-56928900-1364973029_thumb.j

post-36131-0-92857300-1364973037_thumb.j

My first shot was with Greenstar (similar to 641 I think).  I also had some 751 and went with that on the one that worked.  I am guessing that 651 would be fine.  Just make sure you have a very firm, smooth surface underneath.  When I initially tried it with a firm cardboard box that was square, it was bad because my design went out to the edges all the way around. Your "Z" with the crown is a square layout, so you may be able to easily use a piece of square wood.  Just make sure its smooth on the surface, and I also covered it with a sheet to prevent scratching since it was a clear head.

Good luck!

thanks for the input. well noted. one last question- one seems everyone wants to get right. Pricing. the Z is approx- 11x11 and the other will be approx. 6 x 19. Using the calculators i found on here and one online I am coming out at about $50 for all 4 cuts ( 2 each ) . Any thoughts before i price him.

Are those dim's in inches or feet? Not trying to be funny just asking..I was paid 20 for the 1 cut for that drum skin...

inches. - yep, undercut myself again. On the up side to make me feel better- he is a friend from church. How did u figure your pricing -petroman2012 ? Are you using calculations or sometimes just come up with a price in your head and see if they go for it ? I am all for that on some things but really don't know what things go for. I guess when i get a request i can look it up on the net to see what that stuff goes for.

I would think for price it would really depend on the amount of time it takes you. How long did it take to convert his image to a graphic you could cut? How long did it take to weed it? How long do you think it will take to install? Add all that up, figure out what you want to charge per hour (I think $40 to $50 is typical) and then add in the cost of materials used.