Ericjgidney

Better assembly and overall instructions bad

When this arrived yesterday I was thrilled till I opened the boxes and found no instructions except the disk so I realized hey they must be on the disk. Then I find the info on the disk and it is a parts list with one very bad picture of what it is supposed to look like assembled. I finally got it put together last night after having to take some screws out and readjusting things. For example the top braces that hold the machine you might want to explain how the brackets go on like place the brackets so that the higher edges sit to the inside etc. just a thought I know it's not rocket science but decent instructions would be a good thing. I have been in sales all of my life and when you send items without decent instructions the customer feels like I bought the equipment that's all the company seems to care about. Maybe it's just me sorry for the rant...

A little reading can go a long way . That is why when people ask for advice on pre purchase I always advise read research and read some more . I knew everything about my cutter before I bought it and it took literally 30 minutes from unboxing to first cut but I knew exactly what I was getting and how to set it up because of research and reading this forum .

Dan

• Like 3

Ericjgidney,

First, welcome. Second, I have an SC24 which works flawlessly. Third, yours will too.

Stop and relax, and realize none of your cutting dreams will come over night.

Think months if you're good... year minimum if you're confused.

Take your time.

• Like 4

I must be a rocket scientist, because I had the SC up and running within an hour of arrival, including attaching the roller brackets the right way (they need to be facing out, not in), grounding the cutter to the stand,  and determining that the far-right-hand pinch roller had to be moved back towards the center a little bit (away from the set-screw stop point, because that position kept the spring-rollers from coming into contact with the lower grit rollers)

--- This anomaly is noted in the following thread ----

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/36439-liyu-sc-gets-up-and-running-my-1st-impressions/?p=283267

A little reading can go a long way . That is why when people ask for advice on pre purchase I always advise read research and read some more . I knew everything about my cutter before I bought it and it took literally 30 minutes from unboxing to first cut but I knew exactly what I was getting and how to set it up because of research and reading this forum .

Dan

30 minutes? Wow! Impressive, sir.

A a brand new member, I was offended by this post...it felt like you were telling *me* I hadn't read enough or planned properly. I didn't post the original message, but it reflected my experience and concerns to some extent.

I've been reading and reading and reading for weeks, eventually ordered a LP-801 package from US C (and I've bought a couple of other used cutters in the meantime...just took the US C unit out of the box yesterday). I unpacked it and set it on a table I'd chosen as a perfect fit (and it was...reading the specs helped). I messed around with it for a while, since there was no manual, and wasn't pleased with the results. I needed to come back here to find more info...found a (this) thread that I thought might have some direct answers. Instead, it seems people are talking down and telling the OP to go fish. (There was a link supplied to a manual for OP's model from somebody, now I know there's a section of the forum with the info...good info).

I paid several hundred dollars for this item, the included documentation is woefully underdeveloped and lacking very important information to even be able to set it up and test...let alone actually use. While its clear that the members of this forum have accepted this is normal and ordinary, it's important to remember it's NOT NORMAL BUSINESS for those of us who grew up in the United States and/or have ever worked in a customer service job.

I'm an informed consumer who's been reading, knew the documentation wouldn't be "good" or "complete"...but I still expected *something* more than this. I'll hack around the forum and elsewhere to find what I need, because I have to in order to even test the equipment, but I won't like it and don't think it's reasonable to expect customers to have to search out the most basic information about the product. My mother (an accomplished artist who welcomes technology) would not be able to figure this out, a test of reason ability I like to apply. It's not too much for her to understand, the fact the info isn't available without asking other people (and possibly being ridiculed for not learning before buying) would be completely unimaginable. She'd use it, and make plenty of bucks with it...once it was operational.

I look forward to learning more from this forum as I go along (already have found lots of useful information)...hope "newby" questions are usually handled with more respect than this post demonstrates.

"Why aren't there manuals, and where can I find some...since the included CD is an extremely unprofessional document exclusive of any real information, and the US Cutter website isn't of any help." Seems like a question a customer should never have to say...let alone be expected to inherently understand or accept. Being ridiculed for reaching out seems just about right.

Sure wish I hadn't waited a couple of weeks before opening the box, I'd return it simply because they point buyers *here* as an official place to learn even the most mundane information (as well as the important stuff). I've bought a couple of other cutters in the interim, none of this Funkiness...all worked as expected.

I understand they have exceptional phone support, thank goodness...I hope to be pleased, should I choose to learn answers to specific questions.

My post was not to belittle or to ridecule anyone I was just stating a fact that was true for me. I have worked in a capicity that has required working with and satisfying customers most of my 49 years of working . I am no geek I quit school in the 10th grade at 15 years old and went to work and have worked ever since. I just think that most anyone can learn from a little reading and research. USC has great supportgive them a call . By the way being an artist wont help anyone learn how to setup or operate a vinyl cutter maybe on the design side once you learn to use the machine . Actualy I guess it takes common sense.

• Like 1

I am a Newbie here....

Have not EVER felt like ANYBODY here EVER talked down to me....

To put this in perspective....  I have NEVER had a cutter before....  I lurked here a ton before
posting here.  I initially bought a cheap USED cutter.  It came with NO instructions.

ALL of my questions have been answered with care and concern.

Thanks to all of you, who have assisted me unselfishly with your time, knowledge,
and tons of experience.

• Like 1

there is an assumption that since you bought a cutter that uses vector based software that you must be somewhat familiar with using it  or willing to watch tutorials to learn.  Too many people buy cutters with the misguided assumption it is like running a printer, who's fault is that - i really don't know.  I wouldn't buy a cnc machine and expect to turn it on an be productive or even be able to test it without direction or training.  It is a new piece of equipment that uses a different language than you are used to - it is up to any of us to learn this new language however we choose - some take classes, some watch tutorials, some puch a button and see what happens, correcting thier mistakes as they go.   the laserpoint is a "value" hobby cutter which you will find takes much more "set up" than a professional cutter, it is to be expected when you choose not to pay for a professional cutter.

Every one is here to help each other and no one is paid to help.  Ask the questions and they will probably be answered by many.

If you are looking for better documentation then buy a roland from a certified dealer in your area and take classes,  this is like the wholesale club - no frills included.  I don't buy a TATA and expect a cadillac experience

PS I don't work for USC I just help those willing and able to learn

_44347603_tata_car_416.jpg

• Like 2

Amen Dakota and if you think this is bad try staring down the 100+ pages that come with the vinyl express cutter I'm running. I'm currently in the lets see what this does phase of learning and asking when necessary. Always seem to get great help on here especially when you consider no one on here is a paid employee of Uscutter.

PS if you ever step up to Graphtec of similar do NOT use sheet feed when you have a roll loaded 30' of vinyl will unwind with quickness.

• Like 1

Amen Dakota and if you think this is bad try staring down the 100+ pages that come with the vinyl express cutter I'm running. I'm currently in the lets see what this does phase of learning and asking when necessary. Always seem to get great help on here especially when you consider no one on here is a paid employee of Uscutter.

PS if you ever step up to Graphtec of similar do NOT use sheet feed when you have a roll loaded 30' of vinyl will unwind with quickness.

LOL - I think everyone has done it once congrats.gif

At least it wasn't 50 yards because I wasn't looking. Flexi starter came in the mail tonight so at least I have an alternative to scalp now. BTW the gold chrome you sent me would you mind sharing a source all the gold chrome I've ever gotten looked more yellow than gold.

I concur with you guys about the forum and the USCutter team. I have had nothing but great service from USC. Whenever I have ordered anything they are lighting fast with shipping and the rare times they have missed something they make it right imediately. As a consequence I buy almost 100% of my materials through them. I had the initial learning curve as a newbie and needed some technical assistance and they were super helpful on the phone. This forum likewise is probably the nicest group of folks I have ever been associated with in a forum setting. I have learned more here about the business than anywhere else. I frequent other forums too and am a huge proponent of the search button. Practically all my questions have at least one other person who asked them first.

• Like 1

I concur with Wildgoose. Never a problem with US Cutter. The one time I had one, I don't even remember what the issue was, I called back and got a different rep, and it was instantly fixed.

And as for a bad machine, it really falls on you to understand precisely whats wrong, and document what you've done to fix it.

Designing, cutting and laying vinyl is a process that takes many years to master. Don't think one company, whomever they are, will solve your problems.

If you've DONE ALL YOUR HOMEWORK, and you call US Cutter, you'll get what you need.

• Like 1

bad manuals and setup instructions are NOT uscutters fault, US Cutter does NOT make these, nor do they make the instructions for them that come with them. 

these ( economy cutters )  are pretty much made and assembled in china, and uscutter buys these. when they arrive, us cutter i doubt opens every box to even make sure the manuals are there. 

i made this mistake when i first bought my cutter, bearings were off etc. i was mad at uscutter for this. but they fixed it pretty much on the spot and KNEW exactly what the problem was. and after reading on this forum, i found out  that not to even think about blaming uscutter for the problems when a cutter arrives. 

anytime i buy anything, printer, cutter, car, router, computer parts, 

i always look up the specs, any how tos with them etc, before buying, or even after buying. 

Most instructions with ANYTHING are pretty piss poor and cant be relied on too much. 

But im glad ya got it together and i wish ya alot of luck in the future in your learning and having fun and MAKING MONEY.

for those who are new to all this, please make sure ya research before buying, or after buying before ya blame the wrong person or company.

Good Luck!

Enjoy!