Ericjgidney

need help pricing etched mirrors

I etch mirrors using a Dremel and diamond bus and also sandblasting. I was wondering how much I should charge? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

I would factor the average amount of time to do a job as an expense , then add in material & location expenses and then a profit. Never go below your total expenses no matter how much that is. If it's very high  then sell the work on quality, value & uniqueness. And by the way don't sell yourself short, it's not everyone that can do what you do.

• Like 1

Expense is not that much considering that the attached was done on a $1.00 mirror and a paper stencil. While the attached is not a great picture of my work as the lines are normally crisper. Can you give me an idea on what I could possibly charge?

I think only you can figure that out. You have a niche and have to price it to what the market will pay. Find a craft show and bring a few mirrors and set a price, if you get a bunch of people walking away when they learn the price lower it a few bucks. Make a brand and raise the price. 

and why are you trying to use a paper stencil?  As you see it cause 'non crisp' lines.  When I do my etching I cut my stencil out of vinyl and use that.  Makes for good crisp lines.

post-27312-0-37102100-1363717324_thumb.j

I agree with Coaster36, only you can price that out, but remember there are hidden costs: with today's high gas prices a drive to buy that $1.00 mirror may cost you $2.00 in gas and $5.00 in travel, If you do a lots of prints price your work averaged out to 12 pieces, 100 pieces etc.

OK, I've never been one to not take a risk when there's a good chance I can get my head chopped off - If you framed it out as a one color print $20-$30 depending on the frame without the frame maybe $12-ish??

BTW:How did you get color into the glass??

I used a paper stencil just because I received my air eraser and was basically trying it out. The old way was with a Dremel and diamond bit. Much more time consuming and much more money on the bits. I am waiting on my vinyl cuter and once that arrives I will be good to go.

Oh, I see.  That makes sense.  I remember when I got my air erasure..... I was in the garage all night etching stuff.  I have a feeling if you end up doing a lot of items with the air erasure you are going to want to move up to the cabinet.  I already have.  You can find them at Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply for about 99 bucks I think. 

If you're going to keep etching glass you're definitely going to want to move up to a cabinet - unless you like wearing a respirator, that is...

Glass dust is silicon and inhaling it leads to silicosis of the lungs which is not good.

Dust masks will help - some - but you should consider investing in a decent respirator if you don't move up to a cabinet.