Rmedoc

OMG!!! HHEEEELLLLPPP!!!!

OK, so I got my new SC 24" installed today.  Works great, except for one thing I cannot figure out.  IT IS LOUD!!!  I mean, like fighter jet loud, dynamite loud, you get the idea.

I am use to a Cricut which I hardly even hear.  This thing is so loud I can literally hear it outside.

Please tell me there is something wrong with this and there is an easy fix.  I can't take this thing to a job site, it's embarassing and I can't even talk any where within a mile radius while its cutting.

Thanks for the help.

Craig

LOL that's that stepper motor,,, stepping ...  I heard they were loud..  Someone told me, there was no way that they could run it at night, because it would keep the family up...

I recently purchased the LPII 24" and it is also very loud which I knew it would be from reading the Buying Guide on US Cutter web site before I purchased however it seemed to quite down alittle if I slowed the Cut speed down some.Keep in mind if you purchased from US Cutter's they do have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a 14 day return if not satisfied. Good Luck

I have the SC 24 as well and it is loud.  My wife requests that I cut when she is not home.  She hates it..... all I hear is money.  I guess you get what you pay for..... overall tho it is a good little machine.  One day I too will step up to a servo motor machine  :-)

• Like 1

I have an SC34, If possible be sure to cut your vinyl off the roll before the job cuts. What happens is that the vibrations from the stepper motors cause the vinyl itself to act as a "speaker" of sorts. I saw somewhere where someone had opened their machine and added some sound deadening to quiet it down a bit. Since you're still under warranty I would advise against it.

I like the noise . I wish my Copam was a little louder ( stepper motor ) . I have a buddy who has a Roland he bought long ago ( $7K deal from SW ) . i don't know if it is a stepper or servo , but it is louder than my Copam . I was diapppointed that my Copam did not sound like his cutter . It sounds like R2D2 & money to me :) . Sometimes I cut at night when my wife is asleep .. she is a light sleeper & even though I am 20' from our bedroom , it does not wake her .

I don't answer the phone when I'm cutting....no point because I can't hear.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help everyone.

I knew it was going to be somewhat loud due to the stepper, just didn't know I had to put it in a soundproof vault to cut something. I'm gonna try some of the steps suggested while maintaining warranty coverage and see what happens.

Thanks again.

My SC is louder at times than others. Not sure why. It's not deafening by any means. I can hear the tv from 25 feet away.

For the record, mine seems to be loudest when my wife is in the room.  :-)

they tend to compete with each other  ;D

I just moved into an office suite I share with two other people. I warned them my cutter is noisy but they were not concerned  I haven't asked them if they regret it, probably won't ask either ha ha.

Hmmm mine dont seem that loud lol. Maybe Im just going deaf and cant tell. I can site next to it while cutting and watch the tv in living room (30+ feet away)and hear it fine.

The cardboard tube in the vinyl will increase the sound also. roll off a few feet so it's loose seems to help

yep same here but at least it drowns out the sound of our crying baby....  with mine i find that if all grippers are down then its less noisy also have put extra bits of carpet squares under the wheels, helps a little, but dynamat would work great, that will be the next step for my cutter...

Dan, you are comparing it to the circular saw you use regularly LOL 

• Like 1

well its 3am here in the u.k and i havnt woke the kids or wife yet with the noisy redsail...   better call it a day i think..

yeh - didn't sleep last night, got up and spread 4 dump truck loads of mulch, 1 load of dirt, raked it all down, spred grass seed where we put dirt, applied weed killer to parts without new seed, completed a couple of orders tonight and agree it is time for bed I think!

Dan, you are comparing it to the circular saw you use regularly LOL 

Yeah that is true my normal day there is a lot of noise between saws air compressors and hammers going then on top of that usaly a radio blasting so I guess my cutting is my quite time . My DGI OM 60 just makes mostly a low whirring sound and a little noise from the carriage travel but very quite but it is servo . All the garage door openers I have installed lately has had dc servo motors with battery backup for power outages but they are a lot quieter then the old ones .

your dgi is a higher end servo though - makes a big difference - the newest "value" cutters seem much louder