nmpeter

SCALP Forced update?..costing me time/money

This is the second time SCAP windows has demanded that I update before it would allow a start. this is so 1980's software protected with a floppy disk I'm going to puke.

If the internet isn't connected, it hangs my system. I was perfectly happy with the version I had about 5 updates ago..no problems (for me)

Why oh why does this vendor have people on staff with such draconian policies or perhaps lackadaisical qa?

FORCE me to update to a new version when all I want to do is cut a set up boat numbers?

The guy wanted to get out on the lake today ( it's unseasonably warm here today) and didn't want to wait around while I tried to resolve this. Told me I should take my sign down that says "numbers while you wait". He told me he was heading over the hardware store to buy some numbers there instead. That was a $40 job out the window.

Well I reinstalled sign blazer today, as my internet wasn't available and I had to do something. Only problem is for me that signblazer causes some kind of problem with some cadcam software I have and I can't print any drawings.

Best have a chat with the development team about this..last time I thought it was a bug ( happens), and I had to reload default settings to get it to run After the update. Same thing this time.

Simply put...

unacceptable

I sure like scalp..but for the moment..signblazer will be my goto for a quick cutting job.

That's $150 down the pipe unless they fix this bizarreness and soon.

yeah..I'm _really_ annoyed.

US cutter tech service has been great in the past to me..let's see you light a fire under the vendors desk on this one..pretty please? I want to see a "option to disable automatic update notifies" Let ME decide when I want to update!

seriously scalp has only been in develpment for these cutters for a very few months - not ready for prime time in all aspects - i you business depends on reliablity get winpcsign, ve-lxi-master plus, or similar sign software that is tested and working fine.  with scal you are still a guinnea pig

Dakotagrafx so what your saying is the program is always in beta?

Also this is why I wouldn't get rid of the Silhouette Cameo big enough to do numbers for boats and other things.

just a few months ago it was mainly a software for craft cutters like Cricut, the parent company from Cricut sued them and they had to abandon the sales for that purpose.  then a few months ago it started being reengineered for usc to sell with thier cutters and has made great progress but IMHO it has been fast tracked into sales for this purpose and still needs refinement from what I keep reading. it is not a seasoned program that is tried and tested well - it may well get there but not quite there yet.

Check how many real sign people that do any amount of signs longer than a year that is using it exclusivly - there are a few that do it part time that got in on the $50 intro that do but no real sign shops that I know of

I have not used SCALPro alot since my computer has some weird mouse problem that only shows up in SCALPro . I have never had to update ?? i just by-pass the update & design etc . It does not have to have an internet connection . I would not depend solely on any hobby type software or unsupported software like SB for a shop . I would load InkScape for another back-up  , but have at least Flxi starter etc , so you would not go thru what you describe . Things like that can hurt your reputation in a big way .. especially if that customer blabs alot ( which unhappy customers do )

• Like 1

Dakotagrafx so what your saying is the program is always in beta?

Also this is why I wouldn't get rid of the Silhouette Cameo big enough to do numbers for boats and other things.

any program that is receiving constant updates including all browsers could be considered to be in constant Beta.

I have had the window pop up to tell me there is another update out there but it never made me go get it. In fact I ran for quite a while and skipped a couple of the updates before I got around to loading the latest. As said previously, the program is in the process of a major overhaul and probably could be considered a beta version for all intents but I have been amazed at what they have done with it since it came on line. I think you're smart to have another option available like signblazer. I fall into the part time description and also have Sign Cut Pro to fall back on but I have been running for a month without having to renew my license yet and I'm hoping to never have to. I have made a few changes to how I design files and have cured several of my personal issues that way. There are some other things that they need to get working but I have chatted with the tech support guys at Craft Edge and they are working toward those things (tiling and multiple copies). They really don't have that much farther to go but I imagine its a lot of programming time to get those things figured out.

I got SCALP when it first came out for 50 bucks.  I still have yet to actually use it.  I have tried several times but just don't like the feel.  I does not open most of the .eps files my other software does, this also keeps me from learning it.  I to recently went to "give it another go" only to come to a screen forcing me to update before I could use it.

I actually bought it just for doing rhinestones as it had that feature built in.  I had been using corel for this and it is a bit time consuming.  The other day I had a decent sized rhinestone item to do and did not want to do it manually so I went to SCALP.... The layout of the stones was bad and did not line up right.  Not appealing to the eye at all.  I guess there really is no equal to the human touch.... oh well did the project the old fashion way in corel.  Came out great.

This is the second time SCAP windows has demanded that I update before it would allow a start. this is so 1980's software protected with a floppy disk I'm going to puke.

If the internet isn't connected, it hangs my system. I was perfectly happy with the version I had about 5 updates ago..no problems (for me)

Why oh why does this vendor have people on staff with such draconian policies or perhaps lackadaisical qa?

FORCE me to update to a new version when all I want to do is cut a set up boat numbers?

These issues have been properly resolved in version 3.048..the update to 3.049 was made when I wanted to actually do it.

Please stick to the topic when posting eh fellows?...this wasn't about pricing or beta or anything like that..it was about a really bad bug that slipped by SCALP QA..I trust that this won't happen again.

Thanks for bringing this issue to SCALP development, but I suspect I wasn't the only one to rant about it, but like a good fellow, I'll make note when my rant is resolved

These issues have been properly resolved in version 3.048..the update to 3.049 was made when I wanted to actually do it.

Please stick to the topic when posting eh fellows?...this wasn't about pricing or beta or anything like that..it was about a really bad bug that slipped by SCALP QA..I trust that this won't happen again.

Thanks for bringing this issue to SCALP development, but I suspect I wasn't the only one to rant about it, but like a good fellow, I'll make note when my rant is resolved

Meh , IMO , any rant is too much emotion & childish . An adult acts mature & " making a note of it when it is resolved " doesn't make it mature as far as I am concerned . Were you expecting Flexi Pro ?? SCALPro was released late last year ... The part I highlighted in quoting you is HILARIOUS !!! BannerJohn , the person who controls this forum as an Administrator is who you were telling how & what to post about ... use the report button .. see what that gets ya . Anybody can post whatever they want where they want as long as within forum guidelines . Feel free to read those guidelines . If you think something breaks those guidelines , use the " report " option in the bottom right ... It goes to BannerJohn most if not all the times .