KYSIGN

Best Transfer Tape for Oracal 631?

I am looking for a Oracal 631 transfer tape that will lay flat around the corners. I have tried the following.

R-Tape Clear Choice AT-60 (Will not adhere well to vinyl)

Main Tape PreView Plus - Medium Tack Clear (Will not release from vinyl)

Main Tape PreView Plus - High Tack Clear (Will not release from vinyl)

Main Tape PerfecTEAR Plus - High Tack (Corners Roll Up)

Does the Oracal HT55 lay flat? I want to ship wall decals to customers. Please help.

R-Tape Clear Choice AT-60 (Will not adhere well to vinyl)

Main Tape PreView Plus - Medium Tack Clear (Will not release from vinyl)

Main Tape PreView Plus - High Tack Clear (Will not release from vinyl)

Main Tape PerfecTEAR Plus - High Tack (Corners Roll Up)

None of the above tapes are made for Oracal 631

Oracal HT55  is made for Oracal 631..     I always use a piece(s) of cello tape on the ends of my decals to keep  transfer tape down, when shipping.  No problems. And never complaints.

http://www.uscutter.com/ORATAPE-HT55-Decorative-Film-Transfer-Tape-for-631-Vinyl

• Like 1

Wall art vinyl like Oracal 631 has a different adhesive, which necessitates a different liner, so standard application tape has a real hard time working with it.  The matte surface of the vinyl adds another dimension of difficulty, as a lot of tapes don't want to adhere to the vinyl, either!

You CAN make it work with other app tapes, but it takes a lot more effort and experience and you don't want to hand off a decal to a customer to install unless it's going to work flawlessly almost every time.

What Mz Skeeter said about Oracal's HT55 tape is 100% correct - use it and you'll find that it works, just like "normal" tape works on "normal" vinyl.

We use the HT55 for our wall decals (Made with the Oracal 631) and it works great.  No issues so far!

Ang

timnag,

im curious...do u only do ur installation or do you sell to diy'ers? i have heard that people selling decals to clients to put up themselves are getting complaints that the vinyl will not release from the HT55. whats your say on this? i am looking for a transfer tape for oracal 631 for me to sell decals to people. so i need to make sure they can get it off easily!

newtred, 

question about your comment...the corners roll up? how is it with getting vinyl to release from backing and from itself? other than the corners rolling up is it good?

VinylMessages... Anything we sell, the buyer installs themselves.  No complaints so far...  I printed up an instruction sheet to send off with our orders, and I make it very clear that they must be sure to take the time to be sure the decal is firmly adhered to the surface, before removing the backing.  I recommend to them, that they use a credit card, or drivers license.  They probably don't have a squeegee laying around!  We didn't have any trouble when we hung the indoor one, on our kitchen wall.  I think as long as you work by the "Slow and Steady" theory, it all goes well!

**Oh, and to add... they seem to lay flat, no trouble with curling.

I purchased the  ORACAL 8510 Translucent Etched Glass Cal Film

which recommended the HT55 ---  HT55 would not adhere to the 8510 AT ALL nor will it adhere to anything else.  I've had repeated conversations with US CUTTER Support to no avail.  My batch of HT55 is worthless....  

Note:

The recommended application tape for use with Oracal 8510 is the Oracal HT55 application tape. Using the Rtape AT60 (or any medium tack application tape) is strongly discouraged as it is not recommended for matte finish materials.

I received 3 bad rolls of HT55 from uscutter last month. I contacted Oracal directly and they will not even bother returning my phone calls or answer emails. I posted about it in the complaint section on this forum.