Sign in to follow this  
GraphxNMore

Best vectorizing software

I'm just getting started, and the decal work is actually a very small part of my hobby. I'm doing the etched glass and mirror. I researched a little as to what I would need, and it APPEARED that SCAL pro would do what I needed. Bot was I wrong. I'm having to ask for help with a few real hard logos, which I knew I would. But even simple projects are above what I can get inkscape and SCALP to do. 

What program is best when all you have is a screenshot or camera type photo? All I'm doing is single color for a stencil, no shades or colors, but I will need to be able to keep colors broken apart.

Eazy, you still trying to get that biker logo done?

I haven't even looked at it in a couple days.  LOL Picked up three more jobs today that I can turn around quicker. Looks like I'll need help with these as well.

They're not in a big hurry for it anyway. They're gonna do a fundraiser to buy it. Gotta get all their members involved cause it ain't gonna be cheap. LMAO

I've had good luck with Vector Magic http://vectormagic.com/home  They offer a desktop version and an online version.   A little trick that has helped me is to add a little blur to the image you want to vectorize sometimes it helps to smooth the edges.

I second Vector Magic. Nice software, much smoother and more intuitive than using Live Trace in illustrator or Bitmap Trace in Inkscape

Just a thought - since you are new - you may have the idea that there is a program that will take just any picture and make a workable vector.  But you will learn if you haven't already that if you have a crappy bitmap you will never get a decent trace from it.

The vectorizing in SCAL3Pro is pretty good for some things.  Working with it might take some getting used to - but so will any program that you work with. 

The best vectorizing software I have used is Imagaro Professional Z.  BUT!!! you STILL have to have a decent image with enough resolution or you will not get good results.  

Take a look at the videos for the current version which is Sept 2011.

http://www.imagaro.com/imagaroproz.html

Don't settle for the less expensive version - for $ 287 the Pro version is worth the extra $90 over the Inagaro Z.

Strong points for the program are the ability to tweak the bitmap image - increase resolution automatically (although it will not make a decent image from a really crappy bitmap so don't expect miracles)  - brush touchup blemish areas - combine /mask colors - and then after vectorizing there are some nice cleanup tools that make hard jobs easier.

For text the font recognition tools are great - and you can't possibly do a vectorization of text that matches the quality of using the actual font and recreating actual shapes.

-Mike

You aren't using it properly then. I have not had one image that cant be traced with inkscape.

Post something that you need to trace and i will try and help you  :thumbsup:

But even simple projects are above what I can get inkscape and SCALP to do. 

Gotta add a comment on Vector Magic...I read the post today and looked for it, have used it all this evening and I admit its the cats meow, I have got excellent results for 25 of 30 images I worked with, yes the free version wont let you save but who says I dont use a capture app...Anyway I like it, maybe when I have made a few more serious sales I will go for the 275 dollar investment but till then I do what I gotta do....

With Vector Magic you can sign up for a monthly subscription for $7.95/mo that will give you full access to the app (online) and has unlimited uses - you don't need to spend the extra money to 'buy it' unless you want the offline application on your PC.

I bought it because I thought I would be doing more shows and fairs than I have, and didn't want to be tied to the internet, but I still feel it was worth what I paid for it.

If you think you'll want to keep using it for a long time, the break even point is about 37 months - after that your subscription will have cost you more than if you had bought it...

Thanks, I saw the monthly element and am debating that thought, I was really impressed with it and just might go that route,Again thanks...

At this point im doing the monthly deal until i have a few more orders in then im buying the desktop version 

Vector magic is offering up to $50 spent online towards purchase of the DT license... something to consider...

http://vectormagic.com/desktop

Try both the Online and the Desktop Edition

Use the site without worry, and evaluate the quality of the results. For a limited time only, the first $50 you spend on this site is creditable towards a license for the Desktop Edition.

With Vector Magic you can sign up for a monthly subscription for $7.95/mo that will give you full access to the app (online) and has unlimited uses - you don't need to spend the extra money to 'buy it' unless you want the offline application on your PC.

I bought it because I thought I would be doing more shows and fairs than I have, and didn't want to be tied to the internet, but I still feel it was worth what I paid for it.

If you think you'll want to keep using it for a long time, the break even point is about 37 months - after that your subscription will have cost you more than if you had bought it...

My question is, will the $7.95/mo version be any more powerful than the one where you get 2 free images and can buy more tokens? 25/30 like one poster said is a great percentage. I haven't had NEAR that kind of luck using it.

I went hunting new clip and did up 15 more last nite, found a web site that of course charges for vector images and such BUT is worth the element as it entitles me to be able to personally use or commercially use ANYWAY, I guess it depends on what your after in graphics and what it works with, I am always looking for greyline, blackline mono, simple 2 color, if my eye catches a image that is 256 or better and I know I can convert I will first use PHOTOSCAPE to experiment, then clean with PHOTOSHOP/COREL , and once thats done now I will go to VECTOR MAGIC as a last ingredient to make this cake....Thats me, I dont know what others do as each of us has their own eye for what they like and want to play witha

My question is, will the $7.95/mo version be any more powerful than the one where you get 2 free images and can buy more tokens? 25/30 like one poster said is a great percentage. I haven't had NEAR that kind of luck using it.

As far as I know it's the exact same version - you're just paying as you need it, rather than having an open ended subscription.

As far as as how well it works, you have to feed it the right kind of images, just like any vector tracing program. Please post one of the images that you're having problems with.

illustrator works for me,,maybe i misunderstood the question,if so ,sorry, but i am fairly new to vectorising,,,,,but byplaying around with the program i have been able to create a ton of decals and stencils for airbrushing,,,,,,,look to you tube, and here as well for creating vectors,,,trust me,,,its better to ask how do i do this?:huh:, what am i doing wrong???etc.,,most of the programs that convert images to vectors, arnt that good,,,,but if you learn to trace an image or create it you will be better off,,,,,,,ok,,,just my experience, not wanting to start anything, good luck and keep at it,,you will get it

GraphicRiver....I put around 40-50 bucks in account and as they add new I use my account stash till I need to build it back up....Worth the element as I have found some really slick stuff there

I use a total of 4 apps to get what I usually do ending with vectormagic..MOST of my graphic designs were done according to this standard that I laid out for me...If "they" like what I do great, if "they" dont like what I do wont bother me as I know that I do it for ME and no one else......Nodes have it by a field goal....