Sign in to follow this  
rock jeep

Cutter won't finish cutting

I have been doing vinyl decals for over 3 years and I have run into another problem, just a few weeks now since the last one. This time, (which has never happened to me before), I am trying to cut a large item, and it cuts and cuts and cuts, then abruptly stops just a little before it gets finished. I tried cutting a smaller version and it cuts just fine. But, like I said, I've cut large items before, without this problem. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

are you sure your workspace is long enough?    Pretty hard to say, when you don't  state what cutter?, what operating system?  what cutting software, or how it is connected.USB or serial?  And is the cutter grounded to the stand?

So all I can say is this...

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/57/1/why-did-my-cutter-just-stop-in-the-middle-of-my-cut

Sorry I didn't list the cutter, software, etc. Was in a hurry to go get my children when I posted. I have a Refine MH871. I use Signblazer software. The item I am cutting is 36"w x 18"t. Again, I have cut items this size before with no problem, in this same workspace, so, yes, my workspace should be long enough. I use windows 7 professional. It does appear that where we had it grounded came loose, which I didn't think to check yesterday for being in such a hurry, so I am going to try that right now. If that doesn't work, then all the items in the link will not have been the problem and I'll just have to figure something out. Thanks for the info.

You might also try disabling any options like Weed Lines or Weed Border - the MH cutters don't have a lot of RAM (just like my old Vinyl Express R-series) and that can cause issues if you send too much info - the less data you throw at it the more likely it is to work - and turning off those features allowed me to finish cuts that otherwise stopped - just like your's.

I know you've sent designs this size before, but if this one is a little more complex, with additional curves or nodes, it may be just enough to overload the memory in your cutter.

• Like 1

Well, nothing has worked. I'm trying to cut a mustang emblem. I have not cut a mustang this big before, but I have cut several mustangs in the past that were a little smaller. However, I did try to cut a different emblem that was half the size I'm trying to cut the mustang, and it didn't work either. But I have actually cut this particular emblem at this same size before, so that is weird.

If we get a new cutter, what would anyone reccommend? We don't do these every day, so we don't need anything big and fancy.... Like I said above, we currently use a Refine MH871 cutter and signblazer software.

have your tried a keyspan adapter yet?  If you are using USB connection, this could very well be your problem. And I don't mean any ol USB to serial cable, a Keyspan Adapter, that is the brand name. That is the brand that UScutter reccomends   Some people also suggest a serial card installed to your computer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-/160804080791?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item2570ab8c97

I have saved this from support for other OPs previous problems

The issue could be a number of different things, likely static related if it's just stopping in the middle of cuts. The USB to serial adapter wont resolve the static issues but it can help to mitigate them since a serial connection is harder to interrupt. First, if your cutter is a first generation MH (mk1) it will need to have a Null Modem serial cable coming from the cutter to the adapter. Second, most radio shack USB to Serial adapters will not work... Or Staples or Office Depot for that matter. That's why we only carry the Keyspan USB to serial adapter. It's the only one that we can say for sure will work as it should every time and we've tested it thoroughly.  Another solid USB to serial adapter is a Belkin- but in either case you have to have a Null Modem serial cable for either to work. Banner John is correct in that a serial connection is given COM 1 by default, however, if you're using a USB to serial adapter it will likely get a regular COM port number in the device manager. If none of this helps, be sure to call in to the support department and speak with Mike Northman. 425-902-1302

• Like 2