gcextreme

new here need help on purchase

got my first cutter package on ebay from uscutter. It was a better deal than on the uscutter site.

Well its official...i have a federal EIN and a State Tax number and i am an official L.L.C.

Cost me $155 and 2 hours on the phone with several government departments....

Well, it's official, now you can keep two sets of books like the rest of us!!!

(Just kidding)

So im all set up at the Bike Show, got my cutter, some samples for sale, and plastic totes with all my vinyl rolls....and alot of people are coming by, looking at my board and my samples and talking to me...but no sales yet....they are taking my business cards tho..

And to make things better, my booth is right next to the local H-D dealers booth, lol... at least the girl sitting at the table is good eye candy...lol

If there is someone there showing off something that isn't related to your business, try and strike up a conversation and see if there is something you can do for their display that shows off your work.

When I sponsored the video gaming expo here last year I wasn't very busy when we first opened - until someone asked if I could cut a decal of their gamer tag to put on their XBox 360 - then when other people saw that first decal in place they started coming to my booth and asking for something similar for their gaming console.  Then when they see how cool it looks they come back and ask for another decal for their brother's machine, or one for their car, etc.   Then the guys from two booths over was launching a new handheld system and wanted some layered decals to put on his prototype display models - then he saw someone doing glass etching and wanted a bunch of custom glassware so the etching guy came to me to make the stencils.  Once you get that ball rolling, then you should stay busy.

Some times you have to show it in use to get people to see the value of what you're selling.  Having the decals on a display board is a good way of showing off the variety of what you have, but buy a motorcycle tank or some fenders and put some of your art on those and then put that on display and people can see what your art can do in the real world.

thanks for the advice...

i had one guy talk to me about doing some stuff for his garage door business..he wants stuff on his truck doors and his large enclosed trailer...

the dj-announcer here took a card and gave me his...he wants something with his logo done for his business too.

i must have gone thru about 40  cards and 15 flyers i printed out so far...

there a few other vendors here, one that has stuff on big rocks, alot of stuff like that u would cut, but its painted or burned onto rocks...

another vendor has sunglasses and patches, and another has lots of perfumes and colognes and jewelry. other than the bike dealers there must be about 20-30 different vendors.... i will make my way around and hand out some cards and show some samples..

some times it is more about making contacts than selling.. MIL has a kennel and travels nationally to shows - when I first met she took my now wife with her and I asked if it was really worth the money to travel 14 hrs away to go to a show - the answer was it is not about the show but the contacts for breeding - stud fee was $1K per hit back then - so the contacts are where the money is

what am i doing wrong, or need to do to prevent vinyl from getting gummed up in the blade??
it seems as its cutting really small detailed stuff, small chunks of vinyl get caught on the tip and work its way into the small hole for the blade...and cuts like crap..

i started using rubbing alcohol that seems to help...

just wondering if its a speed or downforce issue?

Cutters have limits on how small you can go.

Apparently, you've exceeded that limit and are trying to get into too fine details.

I'm not at the shop but I think that would cut OK on my lp and lp2 at that size. My best guess is too much blade or dull blade. Do you have a spare blade to swap out and see what happens. If not seriously consider ordering one to use to help diagnose cut problems.

If you are using cheap blades be warned that I have had them be dull straight out of the package.

Jay

no..i just swapped in a blade i got from cleancutblades.com......when doing simple stuff it cuts fine...but then on detailed stuff it cuts the stuff but it seems like the small pieces come off and stick to the blade and works it way into the little hole.

i have tried 3 different blades....same result on cutting this...

Less blade more pressure. When the blade is out too far it tends to pop up and almost corkscrew small pieces of vinyl into the holder. I've been doing this for several years and just recently realized that what I thought was the right setup was too deep relying on too much blade and causing me all kinds of grief on detailed cuts. I know it doesn't seem right but less blade equals better cut.

Jay

• Like 1

i will try that...but it seems im either not cutting deep enough into the vinyl, cuz i had it adjusted where it looked like it cut great but it wouldnt weed, it wasnt deep enough, so i turned the blade out a tad, and it cut and weeded fine..but it was getting gummed up on the small detailed stuff..

Instead of turning blade out just up the pressure in small increment til you hit the sweet spot. Then right it down somewhere safe incase your setting get screwed up.

Jay

Well i got my business bank account linked to my Square and Paypal accounts so now im ready to accept cards.....

Just waiting on my business checks and debit card....

Now all the money i make from cards and paypal will go into that account...and when i sale stuff for cash i will have to deposit it...good thing my bank is only 2 blocks away lol.

Is there any free or really cheap software for bookkeeping and sales stuff???